PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR is a big need next offseason... [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is pathetic is that Aiken is the best player Belichick could come up with.
My point exactly. Joey Galloway .... 7 receptions, 67 yards for the season as a New England Patriot.

Jabar Gaffney would have helped the New England Patriots offense this year unlike Galloway, Aiken, Stanback, Slater.

Last edited:
At least we saved money........to sign Kazcur to a long term deal:)

But BB made this great decision to save some money and let Gaffney walk and give that money to Mr. Kazcur. So with that said, it had to have been the right decision, I mean, BB did it, it has to be........:(

Jabar Gaffney today ..... 14 receptions, 213 yards

Sam Aiken season ..... 20 receptions, 326 yards

PATHETIC!

Jabar Gaffney - Has been Denver's #2/#3 reciever all year but he doesn't play on special teams

Sam Aiken - Been the 4th/5th receiver for the Pats and is a Special Teams standout.

You are comparing Apples and Oranges.

My point exactly. Joey Galloway .... 7 receptions, 67 yards for the season as a New England Patriot.

Jabar Gaffney would have helped the New England Patriots offense this year unlike Galloway, Aiken, Stanback, Slater.

I agree, but what do we know... 2 years ago, and last year we had some solid recievers.. Sam Aiken is not the awnser..

Hey DaBruinz, I know your a BB apologist and try to justify every decision he makes. Give me your honest thoughts on him passing on Clay Matthews ? I'm sick over it. Are you ?

Stanback, Aiken and Slater have all helped the Pats offense. And they've all helped on Special Teams as well. Gaffney doesn't play special teams.

And, if I am not mistaken, Gaffney is getting paid more Stanback, Aiken and Slater, combined.

But, I guess that comparing Denver's #2/#3 receiver to the Pats 4th/5th/6th receiver is a valid comparison :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I wanted Manningham after the 2007 season and got flamed up and down the forum for it both because I was the new guy and because nobody really saw wide receiver as a need. Fast forward two years and we're looking at a HUGE hole at the position. Fact is that we don't know what we have in Tate. He looked promising and was able to get behind the secondary a couple of times, but he was raw and young. We'll see what he has next season. As of right now, I would like to see the team sign a Matt Jones or a D.J. Hackett for the playoffs. Simlify the offense for them and allow them to run routes that they're comfortable with and if we're satisfied, offer them a one or two year deal. If not, you don't have much to lose seeing as both of those guys are out on the street right now. I do not want to see a WR drafted on day one. With our first couple of picks, we really need to invest in a RG and a DE.

Gaffney is getting paid more Stanback, Aiken and Slater, combined.

Probably because he's better than the 3 of them combined

Jabar Gaffney - Has been Denver's #2/#3 reciever all year but he doesn't play on special teams

Sam Aiken - Been the 4th/5th receiver for the Pats and is a Special Teams standout.

Gaffney was a heck of alot better than Joey Galloway and Greg Lewis combined.

Gaffney was a heck of alot better than Joey Galloway and Greg Lewis combined.

That may be.. But did you stop to think that Gaffney decided he wanted to move on with McDaniels? Or that maybe McDaniels persuaded Gaffney to move on since Gaffney was kind of an afterthough with Welker and Moss? Or maybe McDaniels asked BB to not tender a contract to Gaffney so that McDaniels could bring him to the Broncos?

People seem to forget that there is a LOT more that goes on in terms of deciding who to sign than just "Here's a contract, come back".

Da Bruinz, I hate to say it but you're a mental midget. Stop posting will you. Anquan Boldin doesn't play on special team either. THey could have got 20 guys to do what Aiken did on special team you idiot. They didn't have a 3rd receiver all year and now that "special teams player" is their 3rd wide out. He's got no hands, and is injury prone. This offseason better be a wake up call. You Patriot suck ups make me sick. Super Bowls aren't won on special teams tackles and returns. Ask the Browns you clown.

owned

+1948493493749378

Probably because he's better than the 3 of them combined

Yes, you'd have a point if the only thing that mattered in the NFL was offense and defense. But since there is this pesky thing called Special Teams, it's got to be factored in.. And, in this case, Gaffney gets a big ZERO there since he brings nothing to special teams. He's not a returner. He's not a gunner. He's not been the Personal Protector for the punter.

Those are all things that Stanback (who also acts as the 3rd QB), Aiken, and Slater bring to the team.

Yes, you'd have a point if the only thing that mattered in the NFL was offense and defense. But since there is this pesky thing called Special Teams, it's got to be factored in.. And, in this case, Gaffney gets a big ZERO there since he brings nothing to special teams. He's not a returner. He's not a gunner. He's not been the Personal Protector for the punter.

Those are all things that Stanback (who also acts as the 3rd QB), Aiken, and Slater bring to the team.

Our special teams blows

Why are you getting so hyped up about what our receivers can also do for us on special teams?

Hopefully next year Shipley (Texas) or Tate (ND) will be catching passes from Brady.

How about this DaBruinz, let's call it like it:

Your man BB, gave Gaffney's money to Joey Galloway, that is in fact what happened, another fantastic personnel move by the master. That piss poor decision is what unfortunately launched a ST guy into a starting WR role. Bad move BB, bad move. As was passing on Clay Matthews, the 3rd you traded for Burgess, the 5th for Alex Smith, on and on and on...........The re-upping Nick Kazur. Brutal !

Last edited:
What people don't grasp here is that "receiver" is a category very similar to linebacker. While it is regarded as one position, there are many subpositions within the name. In terms of slot guys the Pats are golden. Let's hope that the best one in history of the game returns to his normal self. That assumed, Edelman will develop into a fine compliment. At Z, the team has Moss. It's time to get a player in the pipeline to takeover for him. I think that Tate was drafted to be that guy, and here's hoping that he's not significantly hindered by that injury. As it stands right now, there is no X receiver on the team. That is the immediate position of need for the team.

It's akin to having the best Mike in the league, a developing Sam, an aging LT, and no legit outside linebacker on the other side. Looking at it that way, the picture painted really ain't that bad. Just need to make some minor staffing moves and the unit will be again amongst the league's best. Frankly, I wouldn't be suprised to see Stallworth come back to play the X.

The Patriots don't have a number three wide receiver. As for Gaffney, the Patriots could have extended his contract prior to free agency as was the case this year with Tully Banta-Cain.

Da Bruinz, I hate to say it but you're a mental midget. Stop posting will you. Anquan Boldin doesn't play on special team either. THey could have got 20 guys to do what Aiken did on special team you idiot. They didn't have a 3rd receiver all year and now that "special teams player" is their 3rd wide out. He's got no hands, and is injury prone. This offseason better be a wake up call. You Patriot suck ups make me sick. Super Bowls aren't won on special teams tackles and returns. Ask the Browns you clown.

Geddie - Boldin is the Cardinals #1A receiver next to Fitzgerald. I wasn't the one comparing Gaffney to Special Teams players. That was ATippett.

And no, they couldn't have had 20 guys to do what Aiken brings on special teams. Otherwise, they'd have had those guys and not Ailken, who is also the Special Teams Captain.

The Patriots had a 3rd WR in Galloway, but he didn't pan out. So they let him go and moved Edelman ( A ROOKIE) up. And Edelman has more than proven himself up to the task despite being a rookie.

Now, I don't know who is "injury prone" and "has no hands" but it's not someone on the Patriots. You clearly don't know what you are talking about. That's ok. That is your modus operandi.

BTW, Desmond Howard says that you don't know wtf you are talking about when it comes to special teams and SBs.

One last thing, Geddie. You can sit there and throw your idiotic insults, but I owned you the last time you started your idiocy and I just tore you a new one. So, keep it up. I look forward to showing how much you don't know.

How about this DaBruinz, let's call it like it:

Your man BB, gave Gaffney's money to Joey Galloway, that is in fact what happened, another fantastic personnel move by the master. That piss poor decision is what unfortunately launched a ST guy into a starting WR role. Bad move BB, bad move. As was passing on Clay Matthews, the 3rd you traded for Burgess, the 5th for Alex Smith, on and on and on...........The re-upping Nick Kazur. Brutal !

Gaffney is extremely overrated on this forum. The guy is a worker, but people make him out to be Jerry Rice on here. Gaffney was a loss, yes, but he was not as huge of a loss as a lot of people (you included) make him out to be.

I've been reading through this, and I have one thing to say:

Our ST is not even that good.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back