PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR is a big need next offseason... [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the Denver game today, and yes, we should have just paid the man, plain and simple.

He was the perfect compliment to Moss and Welker. An intermediate route/possession receiver who could stretch the field and take heat off of Moss.

You saw it beginning late in 2007, then again in 2008, only then maybe you didn't trust it because it was Cassell throwing to them. Sometimes you just don't mess with a good thing.

I'd give Josh a second rounder to get him back.

No, the Patriots shouldn't have "just paid the man." What were you watching the last 2 years? Gaffney wasn't the perfect compliment. Gaffney wasn't very good at deep or intermediate routes.. and he sure couldn't stretch the field on a regular basis.. A majority of Gaffney's receptions were in the 1-10 yard range...

People seriously give players like Gaffney too much credit.. and exaggerate the situation to make it look worse than it is..

No, the Patriots shouldn't have "just paid the man." What were you watching the last 2 years? Gaffney wasn't the perfect compliment. Gaffney wasn't very good at deep or intermediate routes.. and he sure couldn't stretch the field on a regular basis.. A majority of Gaffney's receptions were in the 1-10 yard range...

People seriously give players like Gaffney too much credit.. and exaggerate the situation to make it look worse than it is..

^This

Plus, Gaffney had all those reception because Orton had virtually no one else to throw to.

^This

Plus, Gaffney had all those reception because Orton had virtually no one else to throw to.

Marshall was benched. Eddie Royal was out. So, Gaffney, who was normally the 2nd/3rd option, moved up to #1 with Brandon Lloyd, Brandon Stokely and Matt Willis as the only other wide receivers for the Broncos.

Of course, the people touting Gaffney want us to ignore things like this.. They just want us to believe that BB is a screw up and that they know better.. :rolleyes:

all i have to say, is i wish we kept Jabar Gaffney, altho he had the dropsies at times, he and TB really played well together . . .

Marshall was benched. Eddie Royal was out. So, Gaffney, who was normally the 2nd/3rd option, moved up to #1 with Brandon Lloyd, Brandon Stokely and Matt Willis as the only other wide receivers for the Broncos.

Of course, the people touting Gaffney want us to ignore things like this.. They just want us to believe that BB is a screw up and that they know better.. :rolleyes:

So a team who would usually focus on Marshall and Royall let Gaffney catch for 200+ yds when they sit out

Interesting. I wonder what they did with all those defenders that were freed up by not needing to watch out for their biggest threats.

Probably just sat them and played 11 vs 7

No one is saying that Gaffney is a star, but he was a great role player on the Pats. He probably deserved to be paid more than we were willing to offer, and Denver gave him what he wanted. He loved being a Patriot and I loved having him on the team.

People aren't "touting" Gaffney to be great, they are stating the truth. Gaffney was great in this offense and had very good chemistry with Brady. As you saw with Galloway, not everyone you bring in is going to work out, and when you lose a guy that is effective in your offense it's a big blow.

So a team who would usually focus on Marshall and Royall let Gaffney catch for 200+ yds when they sit out

Interesting. I wonder what they did with all those defenders that were freed up by not needing to watch out for their biggest threats.

You do realize they were playing the Chiefs don't you? I love Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr, but their safeties are mediocre and their pass rush is pathetic.

Last edited:
I know we are a few weeks from offseason talk.. But with Welker going down, we need WR help.. Sam Aiken is not the answer,and Edeman is not the awnser... And Brandon Tate has more questions than answer. We need WR help, we underestimated Gaffney, and for that matter Kelly Washington.. We could use 2 more WR, espically with Moss on his last year, and now Welker big question mark..

how is edleman not the answer? he just caught 10 balls for 103 yards today. I'd say that is pretty welker esk. I can accept however that we do need that true number 3 if edleman is filling welkers role in the slot

Why do you make things up? Do you just love pulling things out of your butt and making yourself look silly?

The fact remains that Gaffney benefitted from being the #1 receiver on the day. If you can't understand that, why don't you stop posting and go use the new tennis courts there in Bozeman...

No one is saying that Gaffney is a star, but he was a great role player on the Pats. He probably deserved to be paid more than we were willing to offer, and Denver gave him what he wanted. He loved being a Patriot and I loved having him on the team.

People aren't "touting" Gaffney to be great, they are stating the truth. Gaffney was great in this offense and had very good chemistry with Brady. As you saw with Galloway, not everyone you bring in is going to work out, and when you lose a guy that is effective in your offense it's a big blow.

Gaffney wasn't "GREAT" in this offense. He was decent. People have claimed he was the perfect compliment to Moss and was able to open things up, yet most of his catches were in the 1-10 yard range. not the 11-20 yard range where we need a receiver...

Gaffney was "special" only because he was able to work in the system and run decent routes.. If anything, he should have benefitted more from being on a team with Moss and Welker and he didn't.

As I have stated, no one here knows why Gaffney is gone. Only BB does. It could have been for a variety of reasons. One of which could have been that BB didn't think it was prudent to pay a 3rd receiver who would get 30-40 receptions, $2.5 million a year... Especially when the guy didn't play on special teams as either a punt returner or kick returner.

While I was never a fan of Gaffney's and I thought he was pretty weak for the Patriots (and I often critiqued how he was killing us because he had no ball skills when Brady would make a perfect pass to him) I do agree that, with 20/20 hindsight, we sure could use him right now. Greg Lewis, Joey Galloway, Brandon Tate, were his replacements. Going back to last August, I thought the move to bring in the new guys and get rid of Gaffney (who I never liked) was a great idea. In hindsight, of course I'd rather have Gaffney.

But at the time, I remember that even Reche Caldwell played more and was more of a target than Gaffney.

Gaffney did improve and played better with Cassel in the game, but with Brady, he had practically no rapport. He made one HUGE catch with Brady that was a sight to behold in the end zone, but I mostly remember the drops on perfectly thrown balls 25 yards downfield. He couldn't get separation, mistimed the ball.

I certainly hope the Patriots do a LOT more to address that position this year in the draft, and they should stop looking for athletic specimens at WR and instead draft guys that produced on the college level. This year we saw Mike Wallace, Austin Collie, Johnny Knox and several others show that you can grab guys in the lower rounds, so I suggest the Patriots keep their draft picks and use a scattershot approach. Really we could have done it last year, and I wouldn't care if only 33% of those picks made the team. Even one of Wallace, Collie or Knox would look good right now. There are always Bobby Engram types out there, guys who don't have top end speed, but they can catch the ball.

The Eagles have a kid on their practice squad, Jordan Norwood, who can snag the ball and runs great routes. He was a walk-on at PSU and does not have great athleticism, but he can run a curl, a comeback, and you throw the ball anywhere near him or drill it into the ground, and he'll catch it.

Can we still sign guys off of practice squads?

I know that Im well ahead of myself, but the way Jacoby Jones played yesterday I wouldnt mind him being on the pats 2010 squad. He would be a great compliment to (assuming he would be back next year) Moss/Welker.

If he's still under contract, I would trade a late 2nd/early 3rd for him. But still I would draft a WR with one of our early 2nd picks and cut Slater. He's useless on this team...

And to think we would still have Tate coming back next season and Welker coming back late in the season. Jacoby Jones would do some damage in this offense with Moss and Edleman (until Welker gets back) in this offense. To me, Jacoby Jones would do much much better in this offense than Jabar Gaffney ever did. I would seriously make this sign/trade in the up-coming offseason.

I notice Dez Bryant isn't on that list.

Also, expect juniors to come out like Golden Tate.

A sleeper on that list is Marcus Easley. Huge and blazing fast with good hands and body control.

Gaffney wasn't "GREAT" in this offense. He was decent. People have claimed he was the perfect compliment to Moss and was able to open things up, yet most of his catches were in the 1-10 yard range. not the 11-20 yard range where we need a receiver...

Gaffney was "special" only because he was able to work in the system and run decent routes.. If anything, he should have benefitted more from being on a team with Moss and Welker and he didn't.

As I have stated, no one here knows why Gaffney is gone. Only BB does. It could have been for a variety of reasons. One of which could have been that BB didn't think it was prudent to pay a 3rd receiver who would get 30-40 receptions, $2.5 million a year... Especially when the guy didn't play on special teams as either a punt returner or kick returner.

I see the point you are making, but the truth is we've never really used a WR as a consistent deep threat other than Moss. In 07 we had Stallworth who we thought could stretch the field, but he was used in basically the same role Gaffney was used in. 3rd WR, caught the ball anywhere from 1-15 yards out. We didn't really go to Stallworth deep.

THen we all thought Chad Jackson would be the guy to come in and be the guy to stretch the field opposite Moss. He was cut. Galloway was brought in for the same reason. He didn't pan out.

I'm by no means saying that Gaffney was/is the perfect complement opposite Moss, but he was a damn good one. Brady trusted him and he ran pretty good routes. He just had a knack for getting open when you needed him to. The fact is, even when we had a guy with great vertical speed in Stallworth, we didn't use him as a deep threat. Almost every long ball in 07 was to Moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back