PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Maroney to Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Maroney, but if Washington offered a good deal for him I would do it. Granted I doubt the Pats could get what I would consider good enough compensation.

Give Maroney 300 carries next season and he is a Pro Bowler.

Yep I said it. :eek:

I would be happy if he could maintain JAG status. What doesn't everyone understand about bust? Just because he's cheap he ought to take up a roster spot? If that was the case one of our posters could fill that spot. I want to like him but he is not dependable and more importantly our system does not fit his running style. It was noted prior to the 2006 Draft. He is strictly a zone blocking system back. No there is no spin on that. It was stated prior to and now evident.

How about trade him to the Raiders?....what you say? No way you say, but there is a method here. We had a chance to perhaps get Cromartie. It would have been fair if we could have gotten the Chargers to bite. It looks like that won't happen or BB and F.O.could have issues with AC. What if we can get CB Nnandi Asomugha to redo his contract (the only way he escapes the Black Hole and we do have a propensity to deal with that crazy old dude)? how about he and RB Michael Bush for Maroney and our pick #22?

Al realizes he is paying too much. He said he will move him.
DW Toys

Only if we could do Maroney + pick for Deangelo Hall, who BB said he would trade up for in the draft, and supposedly had interest in signing after his release from Oakland and if he hit the FA market after the 08 season. He has all the skills you would want in a corner: speed, ball skills, man to man covering ability, and ability to press effectively. BB has always been high on him, and having Hall work with a defensive mind like BB would max out his abilities.

It will never happen though :(. Why would Shanny want to trade a good CB like Hall, and why would Snyder want to trade a CB he just gave a pretty big extension to at like 6 years 55 million with 22.5 million guaranteed, for a RB + pick?

I would be happy if he could maintain JAG status. What doesn't everyone understand about bust? Just because he's cheap he ought to take up a roster spot? If that was the case one of our posters could fill that spot. I want to like him but he is not dependable and more importantly our system does not fit his running style. It was noted prior to the 2006 Draft. He is strictly a zone blocking system back. No there is no spin on that. It was stated prior to and now evident.

How about trade him to the Raiders?....what you say? No way you say, but there is a method here. We had a chance to perhaps get Cromartie. It would have been fair if we could have gotten the Chargers to bite. It looks like that won't happen or BB and F.O.could have issues with AC. What if we can get CB Nnandi Asomugha to redo his contract (the only way he escapes the Black Hole and we do have a propensity to deal with that crazy old dude)? how about he and RB Michael Bush for Maroney and our pick #22?

Al realizes he is paying too much. He said he will move him.
DW Toys

Maybe we can trade James Sanders, Maroney, and our #22 to the Cowboys for Miles Austin and DeMarcus Ware!!!

I can't wait to see when Maroney is on the team again this year, so you'll go through the same ritualistic whining you do constantly. Give it a rest, already.

Trading for Portis would not be a wise move in my opinion. The shelf life of a RB in the NFL is shorter than any other position. Guys that carry the ball more than 300 times in a season tend to taper off quickly, and Portis has carried the ball at least 325 times in four seasons, plus another season with 290 carries. We've seen dramatic dropoffs from Shaun Alexander, Priest Holmes, LaDanian Tomlinson, Eddie George, Jamal Anderson, Stephen Davis, etc. after two or three years of heavy usage.

I'd rather see the Pats add a running back with more tread left on the tires myself.

I like Maroney, but if Washington offered a good deal for him I would do it. Granted I doubt the Pats could get what I would consider good enough compensation.

Sure, but we'd trade almost any player on the roster for a "good deal".

I'd trade for him in a heartbeat, give us a decent pick and he's yours. A RB of his caliber (lol) is easily replaceable.

I'd trade for him in a heartbeat, give us a decent pick and he's yours. A RB of his caliber (lol) is easily replaceable.

Ouch! That was painful. Probably true, but painful nonetheless.

What would you consider a good deal?

Maroney for Adrian Peterson straight up.

Really, I haven't thought about it. All I know is that a thread talking about potentially trading a random player to a random team for an unspecified player if we can get a "good deal"... you can replace Maroney" and "Washington" with any player and team and it's just as valid. So what's the point?

Really, I haven't thought about it. All I know is that a thread talking about potentially trading a random player to a random team for an unspecified player if we can get a "good deal"... you can replace Maroney" and "Washington" with any player and team and it's just as valid. So what's the point?

The point is we've pretty much seen what Maroney's able to do. And it's nothing all that special. This year looks to have a fairly deep crop of runningbacks. So why not draft one of those guys, and trade Maroney for what you can so that you can address other needs? Cut your losses, while you can still get value?

After this year he becomes a free agent anyways and I don't forsee the Pats paying big bucks to retain him, so why NOT get value while you can? Better to lose him a year early and get something of value now imo.

Last edited:
The point is we've pretty much seen what Maroney's able to do. And it's nothing all that special. This year looks to have a fairly deep crop of runningbacks. So why not draft one of those guys, and trade Maroney for what you can so that you can address other needs? Cut your losses, while you can still get value?

Sure, if it happens and they get a decent replacement, that's fine. I like LoMo but he's not a once-in-a-generation talent. But I'm not fixated on this, either. My point in all this is that just naming teams and saying we want a "good deal" is akin to saying nothing.

I say nothing all the time...seems to work for me

yep the pats should trade maroney just like they traded hobbs for a 5th round. pick and replaced him with tate who had 3 kick returns befor they put him on IR.

the point is there is no replacement. for him Fred Taylor, is 34 years old he has noting left. Sammy ( can't get one yerd ) Morris, is 33. Kevin Faulk, who is a 3rd down back is 34.

marony, is only 26. there is no reason to trade him for a 5th round pick that wont make the team.

Lots of trade talk in this thread but they are kind of rare in the NFL. How about drafting a replacement? Maroney at best gets you the Ellis Hobbs trade value and we have lots of 2nd round picks.

Lots of trade talk in this thread but they are kind of rare in the NFL. How about drafting a replacement? Maroney at best gets you the Ellis Hobbs trade value and we have lots of 2nd round picks.

Cousin, Understand that this year unlike any other year in the immediate past will have to include trades to better any team because of the end of the CBA and limited FA availability.
I agree that Maroney has a limited value in a trade for pick market, but if we can get the right deal for a player trade like Cromartie (ugly end to a fabulous beginning in SD), Chris Gocong (always cast incorrectly as a 4-3 guy), How about a Ray Edwards from the Vikings (he is a RFA and Chester Taylor is leaving for FA. LoMo was a U. of Minn. guy and the Vikes need a number two guy behind Peterson) He'll cost more than just LoMo but here is that passing rushing DE we need (need a CB? Wilhite? plus a mid round pick?). BB loved this guy in the Draft.

Even Crazy Al has been said to want to dump the talented CB Asomugha because of his insane contract (would have to be re-structured or no-way!).
I hear he might let Michael Bush go. Crazy Al wants a CB as well. How about LoMo, Wilhite and our #22 pick for Asomugha and the talented 245lb Bush? Throw in our 4th rounder?...all you Cousins laughing, wouldn't you do this trade in a minute (remember contract re-do is the key wording and his agent will oblige to get him out of that "Black Hole")? This is Crazy Al and we are taking turns getting screwed so it is his turn after Burgess.

LoMo could back up McFadden and is better than RFA Vargas.

AL-BB Screw Card (recent edition):

AL-Doug Gabriel

BB-Randy Moss

BB/AL -Seymour (may be a tie if we do our typical trade downs for JAG fourth rounders and Richard makes a Pro-Bowl or two yet)

AL-Derrick Burgess

BB-Asomugha

We could throw games in this column as well but BB was not there for the terrible Hamilton RTP on Stabler call versus the Tuck game (Karma?).

Asomugha and Bodden sound great to me!

My point is trades will be made more than ever in 2010.
DW Toys

Last edited:
I'd keep him. Realizing they still had to send him a msg, by making him a healthy scratch (fumbling issue), he suddenly became a player that hit the holes, and stopped that darned stutter stepping. A light bulb has finally gone off, and he's a talented kid. He's still young too. I know the team could get more than a 5th for him, but as for a 5th, THAT'S NOT ENOUGH!

Maybe we can trade James Sanders, Maroney, and our #22 to the Cowboys for Miles Austin and DeMarcus Ware!!!

I can't wait to see when Maroney is on the team again this year, so you'll go through the same ritualistic whining you do constantly. Give it a rest, already.
Seeing as your favorite players are Sanders and Maroney, I am sorry I offend you but a JAG is a JAG. Not bad here, but well into the upgrade-for someone-else category.
I hope by the good sense of the Pats F.O. they can bail out of a big first round mistake. By the way, this speed merchant only ran a 4.55 40. He was exposed prior to the Draft as only a zone blocking type back, oft injured, only started one year, was way over-patient finding his hole and ran too upright. As others have tried to tell you Jack, he is nothing special. His college body of work resume translated exactly to the NFL. Sorry to hurt your feelings. His worth as a pick right now might be a fifth rounder. You would at least agree with me there. That is what the rest of the NFL would say, not just ol' DW. He is a great kid I will grant you this.

Sanders is a JAG, a very decent JAG, but none-the-less JAG. A low level FA who never started had more starting games than he did and had much better stats.

If LoMo is still with the Team they couldn't get anything for him.
Now does LoMo respond in 2010? Like another poster said, this year he is really. really going to try this time to get it together.

DW Toys

Last edited:
Seeing as your favorite players are Sanders and Maroney, I am sorry I offend you but a JAG is a JAG.

Logic obviously isn't your strong suit, as I haven't a clue how you arrived at this conclusion. Just because I feel compelled to defend them against your overstated criticisms does not make them my favorite players.

Not bad here, but well into the upgrade-for someone-else category.
I hope by the good sense of the Pats F.O. they can bail out of a big first round mistake. By the way, this speed merchant only ran a 4.55 40. He was exposed prior to the Draft as only a zone blocking type back, oft injured, only started one year, was way over-patient finding his hole and ran too upright. As others have tried to tell you Jack, he is nothing special. His college body of work resume translated exactly to the NFL. Sorry to hurt your feelings. His worth as a pick right now might be a fifth rounder.

It's kind of funny that you keep regurgitating this pablum, as if by repeating it often enough it will somehow become accurate.

Tell you what. As I've said to you multiple times, go back and re-examine the first round of draft choices in the 2006 draft. It's probably the easiest and clearest way to show how erroneous you are.

If LoMo is still with the Team they couldn't get anything for him.

Not really. It could just as well mean he's worth more to us than he is to another team.

For a third round pick, I would say yes.

Is that reasonable, from both sides?

I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back