PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would love to see Patriots pick up Pennington

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhodyPatriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I've always liked Chad Pennington and always thought the guy was/is a winner. I'm sure Chad wants to start somewhere and will have more than one team after him but it sure would be great to have him as Brady's back-up. Apparently Chad and Randy Moss are close because of their Marshalll ties. Where ever he ends up I just hope Chad Pennington wins. The guy is a winner and a class act. He can play for my team anytime.

I've always liked Chad Pennington and always thought the guy was/is a winner. I'm sure Chad wants to start somewhere and will have more than one team after him but it sure would be great to have him as Brady's back-up. Apparently Chad and Randy Moss are close because of their Marshalll ties. Where ever he ends up I just hope Chad Pennington wins. The guy is a winner and a class act. He can play for my team anytime.

Randy loves him, that for sure.

I don't really like him that much, but he's still better than Cassell.

I wouldn't go as far to praise Pennington as you. Considering the Jets haven't won anything other than one AFC East Title under Pennington, I wouldn't classify Pennington as a winner. He was also the starting QB for most of last season and the Jets didn't win too many games.

That said, assuming our back ups are really as bad as they have been playing in camp, he would be an upgrade at the #2 QB position. I feel must safer putting Pennington in for a game or two than Cassel or Guttierez at this point. His short passing attack should work well with Welker and eventhough his long balls are floaters, Moss is the best WR to have for those type of passes since he can go up for the ball.

I definitely wouldn't mind adding Pennington.

If the Jets do have to cut salary, I would say that Pennington may be one of the first to go. However, would he sign on with the Pats knowing full well that he'd be riding the pine for the entire season, or would he go to a team where he'd have a chance of getting playing time?

I do really like Chad, as well, and hope that he manages to win wherever he goes (as long as it's outside of the AFC East). As far as backups go, you could do far worse than him- I'd like to see the Pats pick him up, but I doubt it will happen.

If the Jets do have to cut salary, I would say that Pennington may be one of the first to go. However, would he sign on with the Pats knowing full well that he'd be riding the pine for the entire season, or would he go to a team where he'd have a chance of getting playing time?

Seriously, who is going to give Pennington a starting job? Maybe the Bears. Who else? I think Pennington's career as a back up QB has begun.

BTW, Pennington's greatest value to the Pats if they signed him might be his knowledge. The guy is a smart guy and has intimate knowledge of the Jets' playbook and players' strengths and weaknesses. Image the knowledge the Pats could pick up about the Jets picking his brain.

It only takes one team to do so and the bears are an excellent choice

BTW, Pennington's greatest value to the Pats if they signed him might be his knowledge. The guy is a smart guy and has intimate knowledge of the Jets' playbook and players' strengths and weaknesses. Image the knowledge the Pats could pick up about the Jets picking his brain.

Somehow, someway, Roger "Jets" Goodell would severely fine the Patriots for doing so, take away another first round draft pick, and have us forfeit the first 5 games....

Talk about Integrity.....

I agree with you here, but do they need it....?

I could see them bringing him for an interview to help get a better idea of what the Jets have planned over there. Like the Jets did with every player the Pats cut last year. I don't think he would get signed unless there was a need and the QB position is pretty packed right now.

Of all the "hey, do you think the Pats could use this guy?" threads, this one makes the most sense to me. Chad is exactly the kind of intelligent, experienced game-manager type who could be a positive addition in meetings and in the locker room--and who wouldn't panic if thrown into a game situation.

Pennington or Garcia would be significant improvement over Cassel and Gutierrez.

No trade for him, not that the Patriots would try. But if the Jets cut him loose, then it would be a good pick up for a veteran back up.

It only takes one team to do so and the bears are an excellent choice

Not if he wants to stay healthy with that O line and a rookie running back...
The Pats are his best choice as a backup to potentially get a ring and he fits the profile of Flutie-esque backup who can come in if heaven -forbid he needs to and you'd feel comfortable in him managing a game or two. I don't know about anybody else but I don't feel that way about Cassel and neither O'Connell or Gutierrez are game-ready yet.
One question that nobody has addressed yet is how the Jets find $12 million in cap room when they only have $2 million. That leaves a deficit of $10 that drops to $4 million once you cut Pennington and his $6 million salary.
That still leaves $4 million to either to be cut or more likely restructured pushing off cap hell into the future since they are already in a " win now or else ' mentality. Even if they find the $4 million, that leaves them in a bind if they have to sign someone else as a result of injury during the season....

Last edited:
I guess the grass is always greener. They should force fans to watch other teams practices... Neither of Pennington or Clemmons was able to secure the starting job on a team desperate for a QB, but they would obviously be a great fit here...:rolleyes:

I like Chad the man. He bleeds green and stuck his neck way out there to remain with that bad team, for which he gets little or no love from his own fans and media. He was never as bad as they claimed nor was he nearly as good as some here like to pretend. He is cerebral, he is also rag armed and injury prone. He probably won the JETS more games than he cost them through sheer scrappiness and never die will. But that's almost the anthesis of the game we play here with BB and Brady. Chad won when he paniced. We win because we don't.

I hope he makes Mangini and Tannenbaum rue the day though. He will be somewhere by 4PM since they need the cap room to fit the legend under their cap. If they can't get a trade worked out - and his $6M salary might make any trade untenable - he will have his pick from many potential suitors in need of a stop gap/mentor if not an interim starter or likely to see action backup. Minnesota, Atlanta, Tampa, Green Bay, Miami, Chicago, Baltimore...the list is likely a third of the NFL. And knowing Chad it won't be about the money, it will be about a chance to play significantly. It's unfortunate for him he will be at a disadvantage wherever he goes because he won't know the system and it's late in the game to pick it up. Although I'd wager he'll pick one up faster than his replacement in NY will...

NO!:mad: get real!

I guess the grass is always greener. They should force fans to watch other teams practices... Neither of Pennington or Clemmons was able to secure the starting job on a team desperate for a QB, but they would obviously be a great fit here...:rolleyes:

he will have his pick from many potential suitors in need of a stop gap/mentor if not an interim starter or likely to see action backup. Minnesota, Atlanta, Tampa, Green Bay, Miami, Chicago, Baltimore...the list is likely a third of the NFL.

Hold on, Mo...you sneer and roll your eyes at us idiots for being interested in such an obviously worthless guy as a pure backup, then go on to say how a third of the league will be clamoring for him as a starter? Get your story straight! :p

BTW, there is NO WAY Green Bay should be on any list of possible landing places. The very thought of the Packers starting Pennington the same week the Jets start Favre...they will NOT let that happen.

Not if he wants to stay healthy with that O line and a rookie running back...
The Pats are his best choice as a backup to potentially get a ring and he fits the profile of Flutie-esque backup who can come in if heaven -forbid he needs to and you'd feel comfortable in him managing a game or two. I don't know about anybody else but I don't feel that way about Cassel and neither O'Connell or Gutierrez are game-ready yet.
One question that nobody has addressed yet is how the Jets find $12 million in cap room when they only have $2 million. That leaves a deficit of $10 that drops to $4 million once you cut Pennington and his $6 million salary.
That still leaves $4 million to either to be cut or more likely restructured pushing off cap hell into the future since they are already in a " win now or else ' mentality. Even if they find the $4 million, that leaves them in a bind if they have to sign someone else as a result of injury during the season....

Lots of figures get thrown around in the course of these things. Last I heard Chad's salary for 2006 was $6M - his cap hit is likely more due to his restructures, but it's the loss of salary that their cap will likely increase by since any remaining dead cap will be divided over the next 2 seasons. And there were reports yesterday that the JETS were just under $7M under the cap prior to the trade. Farve isn't going to restructure for them. Tangini seems to indicate (that like GB) they have no firm committment that he will play beyond this year. So this is a one and done, sell Woody's PSL's and save me and Eric's ass trade pure and simple.

Things always get desperate and messy in the Meadowlands. It's part of the life cycle of that franchise. This is why Bill tried to council the little Genius not to take the HC job there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes