PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would love to see Patriots pick up Pennington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a minute here....

Countless times some of you ,even many in here posting in this thread made fun of Chad calling him a Noodle Arm and he can't throw for more than 15 yards when he was the Jets starting QB and had no chance of being cut or replaced but now when you see Chad is on his way out now you think he is a good signing and makes a good backup?

My how the Hypocrites rise to the top when things change and hes no longer a threat in the division - It's Disgusting sometimes the way some of you change your minds overnight :mad:

Wait a minute here....

Countless times some of you ,even many in here posting in this thread made fun of Chad calling him a Noodle Arm and he can't throw for more than 15 yards when he was the Jets starting QB and had no chance of being cut or replaced but now when you see Chad is on his way out now you think he is a good signing and makes a good backup?

My how the Hypocrites rise to the top when things change and hes no longer a threat in the division - It's Disgusting sometimes the way some of you change your minds overnight :mad:
No one is saying they want Pennington to QB the Patriots or that he is a great QB now that he's about to be an ex-Jet.

Before you rant too much, please watch the game tonight and tell me what you see from the three current backups and tell honestly me that you don't think an experienced NFL QB, one of the smartest guys in the league, couldn't at least contend for that job.

It's one thing to think he can't lead a mediocre team to the playoffs. It's another to think he can't compete for the backup position with Cassel and Gutierrez.

I've always liked Chad Pennington and always thought the guy was/is a winner. I'm sure Chad wants to start somewhere and will have more than one team after him but it sure would be great to have him as Brady's back-up. Apparently Chad and Randy Moss are close because of their Marshalll ties. Where ever he ends up I just hope Chad Pennington wins. The guy is a winner and a class act. He can play for my team anytime.

Get Randy to telephone Pennington. I'm serious.

No one is saying they want Pennington to QB the Patriots or that he is a great QB now that he's about to be an ex-Jet.

Before you rant too much, please watch the game tonight and tell me what you see from the three current backups and tell honestly me that you don't think an experienced NFL QB, one of the smartest guys in the league, couldn't at least contend for that job.

It's one thing to think he can't lead a mediocre team to the playoffs. It's another to think he can't compete for the backup position with Cassel and Gutierrez.

You are not reading what I am saying

I said that some of you in here say that CHAD CAN'T THROW A BALL MORE THAN 15 YARDS AND HAS A NOODLE ARM - and now you all want him as a backup? - Won't be any good if he can't throw too far,Right?

One question that nobody has addressed yet is how the Jets find $12 million in cap room when they only have $2 million. That leaves a deficit of $10 that drops to $4 million once you cut Pennington and his $6 million salary.
That still leaves $4 million to either to be cut or more likely restructured pushing off cap hell into the future since they are already in a " win now or else ' mentality. Even if they find the $4 million, that leaves them in a bind if they have to sign someone else as a result of injury during the season....
According to this site, the Jets have $6,866,782 available under the cap.
http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html
By adding Favre (about $12 mil) and cutting Pennington (about $6 mil) the Jets wouldn't have to do anything else.

If your numbers are correct and the ones I found are wrong, then I would imagine that the Jets cut or trade Pennington, sign Favre to a 3-year contract with a signing bonus close to that $12 mil that he was due to make this year.

For what is worth, Jay Glazier said on WEEI that Pennington to New England makes sense and he feels that Pennington wouldn't mind taking a back up role for a Super Bowl ring.

Apparently Tannenbaum said Pennington will be traded or releaded today.

Chad Pennington has played his last game with the Jets, GM Mike Tannenbaun said Thursday in an early morning conference call. Barring a last minute snag, Pennington will be traded or released today. The holdup is paperwork.

Next question is, would Herm Edwards want to pick him up for Kansas City?

Shefter says Penny will be released.

According to this site, the Jets have $6,866,782 available under the cap.
http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html
By adding Favre (about $12 mil) and cutting Pennington (about $6 mil) the Jets wouldn't have to do anything else.

If your numbers are correct and the ones I found are wrong, then I would imagine that the Jets cut or trade Pennington, sign Favre to a 3-year contract with a signing bonus close to that $12 mil that he was due to make this year.

Farve isn't going to rework his deal for this trade. If he did that and then retired on them in 2009 they could persue some of that signing bonus... Tangini knows there is no committment beyond this season (if there is even much of a committment beyond a prideful one for this season as he basically attempts to persue his own revenge driven agenda).

I think your numbers are correct btw. They will have nothing left after they cut Noodle, and they will have to adjust for the rule of 51 come opening day though so they may yet have to do a couple of simple restructures (put some other guys hit on the credit card) or another cut to create some cap maneuvering room for the season.

My guess is he goes to KC or MIN with a chance to compete as a starter. If he decides to take a backup role or no chance at starting is offered, I could absolutely see him coming in here as a backup.

Unlike others, I've never ragged on Pennington too hard. He is a good game manager who makes good decisions. He would succeed in this offense.

To that end, he is a perfect fit for MIN run-run-maybe-throw offense. Though the coaching staff sounds committed to developing Tavaris Jackson, so will be interesting to see where Penny lands.

I said that some of you in here say that CHAD CAN'T THROW A BALL MORE THAN 15 YARDS AND HAS A NOODLE ARM - and now you all want him as a backup? - Won't be any good if he can't throw too far,Right?
Ouch, you're hurting my ears. Please read my first post in this thread, I made exactly that point. (i.e. maybe you should read what I'm saying. :))

For what is worth, Jay Glazier said on WEEI that Pennington to New England makes sense and he feels that Pennington wouldn't mind taking a back up role for a Super Bowl ring.

As with all talking heads in this sport, there is a world of value difference between what Glazer gets leaked and what he thinks. No way Pennington is going to ride the pine here for a ring. He still believes he can start and the JETS just made it next to impossible for him to have a fair shake at proving that. And in a way if he didn't believe that he'd be worthless to any team let alone us. There are too many teams desperate for a potential starter for one not to give him his first shot away from the Meadowlands. If he fails he might be available to back Tom up next season. But of course then that would beg the age old question, why would fans here want that??? :confused: :rolleyes:

Penny could start for the Phins

Hypocrites my ass. I've called Penny a noodle arm, and on and on. But as a BACKUP QB I would take him. In an EMERGENCY he could play, not make a critical mistake and we could rely on the run game and defense more. I'd take him in a key situation over Cassel or Guttierez and that doesn't make me a hypocrite.

1.) Starter vs. backup makes a huge difference in what you need out of the player.

2.) With Moss running routes, Pennington can toss up balloons and let Randy bring them down.

3.) Do you really not see the difference between Pennington QBing this Patriots offense with all its talent and offensive options for a quarter(or a game or two), and QBing the Jets for an entire season with a terrible offensive line and mediocre receivers?

As with all talking heads in this sport, there is a world of value difference between what Glazer gets leaked and what he thinks. No way Pennington is going to ride the pine here for a ring. He still believes he can start and the JETS just made it next to impossible for him to have a fair shake at proving that. And in a way if he didn't believe that he'd be worthless to any team let alone us. There are too many teams desperate for a potential starter for one not to give him his first shot away from the Meadowlands. If he fails he might be available to back Tom up next season. But of course then that would beg the age old question, why would fans here want that??? :confused: :rolleyes:

Teams that actually will give Pennington a shot to get a starting position will actually have to be interested. There is no guarantee of that. The Bears have had opportunities to upgrade their QB position and have not made a move. Miami is a possibility, but would Parcells want to throw another QB into the mix now when he has two young guys that he is trying to develop? Gruden likes to accumulate QBs, but is Pennington worth him alienating Garcia? Favre was, but is Pennington? Would the Vikings see him as the answer?

I still not sold that any team will give him a shot to compete for a starting role. As Glazier pointed out, Pennington may not want to go to a team like Miami that is rebuilding anyway and serve as an one year back up and then look for a more opportune situation next year.

From CHFF:

The 5 Most Underrated Quarterbacks Ever

5. Chad Pennington (2000-present)
Can we give a little love to Herbie the Dentist? Jets fans have certainly never been sold on him. And a spate of injuries hasn’t helped Pennington’s career or his reputation in New York and around the league.

But he boasts the 7th best passer rating in NFL history (88.89) and the No. 5 mark among active players. Believe it or not, Pennington had a better career passer rating than Tom Brady heading into the 2007 season.

Pennington is also the most accurate passer in league history, with a record 65.61 career completion percentage. Hard to believe, considering he puts up so many parabolas that the networks want to hire him as a sideline sound man following his next rotator cuff injury in October.

And the lack of a laser, rocket arm is compounded by the quality of the offensive talent around him, which has never been spectacular.

But proof of Pennington’s proficiency is evidenced by the fortunes of the Jets when he plays and when he doesn’t: Pennington has played in 12 or more games just three times in a season since replacing Vinny Testaverde in 2002. The Jets have made the playoffs all three of those seasons (2002, 2004, 2006). They failed to win even half their games every other season (2003, 2005, 2007).

Head coach Eric Mangini was “Man-Genius” in his rookie season at the helm in 2006. Pennington, not so coincidentally, played every single game for the one and only time in his career that year. Mangini became a duplicitous rat turncoat in 2007 while his team struggled through a 4-12 sophomore campaign – and Pennington started just 8 games.

In other words the Jets are a playoff team when Pennington plays; they’re an also-ran when he doesn’t. He’s a difference-maker at quarterback and one of the most precise parabola-tossers the game has ever seen.

If not for the rash of injuries we might be talking about a player who competes with Brady and Peyton Manning for status as the best quarterback in the league today.

Noodle-Arm to KC makes too much sense.

Heck, I could see him in GB before I could see him here. How twisted would that be: he signs with the Packers as insurance; Rodgers sucks for the first 7 games as they enter their bye at 2-5; Pennington is named starter and leads them to a 7-2 finish & a PO berth.

The bottom line is: Noodle-Arm wants to go - and more than likely will be able to go - to a team for whom he has a legit chance of starting, and that team isn't the NEP. Would I want him as Brady's backup? You betcha; we could always return to the Dink & Dunk for him if necessary. Maybe we should return to the D & D anyway, no matter the QB.

Pennington is a very cerebral QB. A Rhodes Scholar if I am not mistaken. You know BB loves the 'smart ones'.

Pennington is a very cerebral QB. A Rhodes Scholar if I am not mistaken. You know BB loves the 'smart ones'.

He does. And if he wasn't so injury prone and he wanted to back up a HOF'er and be compendated accordingly and the JETS had cut him in March, that might have happened. But it didn't unfold that way.

Pennington has to be severely wounded by all of this and like any wounded animal worth living he is going to want to fight to live (as a starting NFL QB) and exact revenge against those who turned on him. Read the post above. Healthy on a halfway decent team he's a winner. Somebody will take a chance on him because healthy he's currently better than any other option they have at their disposal. And he will come cheap by starting QB standards in a league where lots of teams remain flush under an expanded cap. Nobody else was interested in Farve because of his age, history, this whole debaucle and what it showed of his ego and character and because of his exorbitent price and limited shelf life. Pennington is a lower short term risk with a potentially higher reward ceiling long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents