PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would love to see Patriots pick up Pennington

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see them bringing him for an interview to help get a better idea of what the Jets have planned over there. Like the Jets did with every player the Pats cut last year. I don't think he would get signed unless there was a need and the QB position is pretty packed right now.

I agree, but I think Pennington (if he is released) will go to Minnesota. That offense is perfect for him.

.... One question that nobody has addressed yet is how the Jets find $12 million in cap room when they only have $2 million. That leaves a deficit of $10 that drops to $4 million once you cut Pennington and his $6 million salary.
That still leaves $4 million to either to be cut or more likely restructured pushing off cap hell into the future since they are already in a " win now or else ' mentality. Even if they find the $4 million, that leaves them in a bind if they have to sign someone else as a result of injury during the season....

Wouldn't worry about any of that.
Jets Commissioner God-ell knew all about it
when he set out to broker this move ...
getting the HOF-er into the NY limelight, and all that.

He'll make an answer.
After all, it would merely be a cap violation.
No big deal, right ... Shanny?

I guess the grass is always greener. They should force fans to watch other teams practices... Neither of Pennington or Clemmons was able to secure the starting job on a team desperate for a QB, but they would obviously be a great fit here...:rolleyes:

I like Chad the man. He bleeds green and stuck his neck way out there to remain with that bad team, for which he gets little or no love from his own fans and media. He was never as bad as they claimed nor was he nearly as good as some here like to pretend. He is cerebral, he is also rag armed and injury prone. He probably won the JETS more games than he cost them through sheer scrappiness and never die will. But that's almost the anthesis of the game we play here with BB and Brady. Chad won when he paniced. We win because we don't.

I hope he makes Mangini and Tannenbaum rue the day though. He will be somewhere by 4PM since they need the cap room to fit the legend under their cap. If they can't get a trade worked out - and his $6M salary might make any trade untenable - he will have his pick from many potential suitors in need of a stop gap/mentor if not an interim starter or likely to see action backup. Minnesota, Atlanta, Tampa, Green Bay, Miami, Chicago, Baltimore...the list is likely a third of the NFL. And knowing Chad it won't be about the money, it will be about a chance to play significantly. It's unfortunate for him he will be at a disadvantage wherever he goes because he won't know the system and it's late in the game to pick it up. Although I'd wager he'll pick one up faster than his replacement in NY will...

I'll disagree a bit here. Aside from the flukey game with the miracle catch & non tackle, Pennington caused problems for the Pats by methodicly executing a short passing game that attacked the interstices in the Pats D. I think that his cerebral approach would be a serious upgrade to the Pats #2 QB position, not that Belioli would spend the cap space on him. Too bad. His gutsy play and thinking approach would work as a backup. And despite the 'rag arm' eliminating the cross field and deep out options, he could be effective throwing the long looping ball deep to Moss.

Finally, I could see the Tuner picking the guy up. He would be a serious upgrade for the steenkin' Phins, and probably has the attributes to mentor their kids at QB.

Last edited:
I also like Pennington and I think he would make an excellent Patriots backup, one in whom I'd have some confidence if Brady went down. I don't think we'll have a chance at him, but it doesn't hurt to hope.

I agree, but I think Pennington (if he is released) will go to Minnesota. That offense is perfect for him.

That would be ironic, if the Packers went through so much not to help Minny.

Still, would be a nice FU to the Jets if he signed on with us. I'm sure he will at least get an interview. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with him rather than Cassel.

Of all the "hey, do you think the Pats could use this guy?" threads, this one makes the most sense to me. Chad is exactly the kind of intelligent, experienced game-manager type who could be a positive addition in meetings and in the locker room--and who wouldn't panic if thrown into a game situation.

Spot on -- as usual.

I could see Pennington possibly going to the Vikes or Bears to add competition. I for one will be rooting for him now to do well just to spite the fans of NY!

I didnt want him at first and I posted it on another thread, but the more I think about it, and he does have a connection with Moss, Pennington might be a solid insurance policy.. Plus it would be another notch in the war that we know as the Pats vs Jets, or Belichick vs Mangini..

Last edited:
Of all the "hey, do you think the Pats could use this guy?" threads, this one makes the most sense to me. Chad is exactly the kind of intelligent, experienced game-manager type who could be a positive addition in meetings and in the locker room--and who wouldn't panic if thrown into a game situation.

Agreed - if he can't land elsewhere with a chance to start, I would love to have him sign up here as a backup. Having watched the backup QBs in person for the first time the other day, that is one of area of concern in the short term. I can't say with confidence any of the 3 would be a serviceable backup if Brady was injured this season. Pennington would be great insurance.

I could see them bringing him for an interview to help get a better idea of what the Jets have planned over there. Like the Jets did with every player the Pats cut last year. I don't think he would get signed unless there was a need and the QB position is pretty packed right now.

What the JETS HAD planned went out the window when they signed the Legend. There game plan will now be if teams stuff the run, just go out there and sling it... Farve hasn't got the time (as in years) to gradually get comfortable with an offense, nor is he inclined (at 39) to put in the endless hours to remotely grasp one on the fly. They may well end up changing their terminology and dumbing down the entire offense to accommodate him. There are a number of reasons this was a worst case scenario for Brett, and God love the Packers FO they managed to force him into accepting it...

BTW - for those pining for Chad, as they do every cut failed veteran QB who pops up on the radar - someone desperate will pay him in excess of $3M (as was the case with Harrington and Carr) on the off chance they will catch lightening in a bottle. He wouldn't see any upside to coming here behind one of the two most durable QB's in the league. And BB wouldn't see any upside to paying him a premium to for just that reason. We may not need that cap money this season, but we have lots of needs to roll it forward for. This is why Bill prefers to groom backups, and only signs minimum contract veteran backups when he thinks they could provide value as mentors. A lot of you have issues with Cassel, but just remember - if Belichick did he wouldn't still be here and Bill likely would have altered his approach prior to the season commencing. It takes even a wicked smaht and savvy vet (with no agenda) like Flutie or Vinny an entire offseason to remotely grasp this offense.

. Farve isn't going to restructure for them. Tangini seems to indicate (that like GB) they have no firm committment that he will play beyond this year. So this is a one and done, sell Woody's PSL's and save me and Eric's ass trade pure and simple.

Things always get desperate and messy in the Meadowlands. It's part of the life cycle of that franchise. This is why Bill tried to council the little Genius not to take the HC job there.

Absolutely. I should have made it clear that I didn't mean Favre would restructure but maybe some of the other unhappy campers over there who felt that they've been lied to by the front office ( make a line starting over there) pushing their 49ers-esque version of cap hell to a future date after Mangini and Tannenbaum are long gone.

I can see it now:

At the end of the first Jets-Pats game, Pats up by 5 TDs, and Pennington (in blue) goes in to finish off the game with some handoffs while Farve shrugs and smiles after throwing a record 7 Ints.

I've always liked Chad Pennington and always thought the guy was/is a winner.
Feel free to like him - I admire his toughness myself - but a winner he is not, unless you consider one wildcard playoff appearance in 8 years being a winner.

I am not opposed to signing NoodleArm as a backup, though. We can run the dink-and-dunk again like in 2001.

I can see it now:

At the end of the first Jets-Pats game, Pats up by 5 TDs, and Pennington (in blue) goes in to finish off the game with some handoffs while Farve shrugs and smiles after throwing a record 7 Ints.
Okay, I'm onboard fully with signing Pennington now!

What the JETS HAD planned went out the window when they signed the Legend. There game plan will now be if teams stuff the run, just go out there and sling it... Farve hasn't got the time (as in years) to gradually get comfortable with an offense, nor is he inclined (at 39) to put in the endless hours to remotely grasp one on the fly. They may well end up changing their terminology and dumbing down the entire offense to accommodate him. There are a number of reasons this was a worst case scenario for Brett, and God love the Packers FO they managed to force him into accepting it...

BTW - for those pining for Chad, as they do every cut failed veteran QB who pops up on the radar - someone desperate will pay him in excess of $3M (as was the case with Harrington and Carr) on the off chance they will catch lightening in a bottle. He wouldn't see any upside to coming here behind one of the two most durable QB's in the league. And BB wouldn't see any upside to paying him a premium to for just that reason. We may not need that cap money this season, but we have lots of needs to roll it forward for. This is why Bill prefers to groom backups, and only signs minimum contract veteran backups when he thinks they could provide value as mentors. A lot of you have issues with Cassel, but just remember - if Belichick did he wouldn't still be here and Bill likely would have altered his approach prior to the season commencing. It takes even a wicked smaht and savvy vet (with no agenda) like Flutie or Vinny an entire offseason to remotely grasp this offense.

But it would be so awesome to have the Rat think he HAS to change his entire offense/terminology because the evil BB has access to everything! Count me among those who would love to see Chad here as TB's back-up, as I said in other threads yesterday. But, it's not happening because: a) he'll be too expensive; and b) he'll want to go somewhere that he has a chance to start.

I read somewhere on a Jets board that he and his wife just bought a big house in NJ. Wouldn't it be great if his real thinking were, "If I go to NE, the family can stay close by here in NJ, and I can really get back at that AH Mangini who has jerked me around for years!" But of course, only Pats fans think this way!

The Jets will not permit Pennington to go to the Pats. He will

be traded somewhere for a late round pick.

The Jets will not permit Pennington to go to the Pats. He will

be traded somewhere for a late round pick.

This could be a problem b/c of his $6 mil salary. Unless you are sure you are going to start him, who is going to pay this? Chad would probably have to agree to a restructure in order to make this work, and if I'm him, I say FU to the Jets as they have said to me, then I go make my own deal when they are forced to cut me.

True, Favre is the complete opposite of Pennington and the Jets will take more risks this year. They are far along enough were they've installed some things for the coming year and the one person who would understand it the best is Pennington. Any information would be helpful.

I am not opposed to signing NoodleArm as a backup, though. We can run the dink-and-dunk again like in 2001.
Pluses and minuses and I'm not sure where I stand. He's smart and tough and can throw a tremendously accurate short pass. Welker comes to mind. Between the 4 RBs, screen passes, and Welker, they have an offense. OTOH, with a bracket on Moss, any kind of a floater to the sideline or deep gets picked off. So what does Moss do, runs slants all day? No more deep threat?

I'm not sure I want a backup QB who takes away the offense's single biggest threat.

OTOH, Cassel can throw a pick to any part of the field, short, deep, or sideline. It has nothing to do with his arm. Penny is better than Cassel, more accurate and battle-tested, but at least Cassel can physically deliver a hard sideline pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents