PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woodhead proves that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Woodhead proves that.....

You can't replace Faulk for all the reasons people have mentioned in here but he can replace the production left by faulk.....I also liked to see Woody blocking on that Tate KO return to start the 2nd half....he did a good job pushing his guy to the sideline and when the miami player turned his back woody didn't touch him as to not pick up a block in the back penalty....He is a very smart player....

I don't mean to bash Faulk. He's one of my all-time favorite Pats, but Woodhead seems to run the draw and runs out of the shotgun better than Faulk or anyone else on the roster. Woodhead goes from 0-to-full speed ahead in one step it seems. The other guys seem to skip or hesitate just slightly. I haven't noticed, how are Woodhead's blitz pickup skills?

(Both type of runs we rely on too much, IMO. But if we're going to do it, it's nice to have the best RB for those plays as possible.)

Last edited:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Woody is fantastic. Some of us said so before he started playing for us. :D

And I somehow doubt that the OP was one of them.

To try to paint this as a Faulk versus Woodhead situation is utter nonsense.

Of course, it's not nearly as reprehensible as the OP's previous statement that Faulk's injury was a good thing.

Faulk is one of a kind, and utterly irreplaceable.

I cannot fathom a failure to grasp that simple fact.

If I had my druthers, we'd have'm both.

the Faulk injury while not good at all is a blessing in disguise. we all know that the pats were going to have to find and train up a person to take over that role in the offense and now we have 2 potential people for that role in Woodhead and Edelman (more of a strech i know) and on top of that we have the best in the game to train them up and that is Faulk himself

As Maria Muldaur sang ." It ain't the meat , it's the motion"....

So far yes he's been great. In terms of pure running and speed he has filled the void, he may even be more talented than Faulk there.

But until we see him in the clutch we won't see what Faulk really meant to this offense. All those clutch 3rd down conversions, 3rd and 10 from our own 3 yard line in the 2004 playoff game vs. Indy, multiple key conversions in the 2007 AFCC that helped us milk the clock in that game, and countless others. That's what Faulk brought to the table and where we might end up missing him.

Faulk.............31 TDs in 154 games
Woodhead.......2 TDs in 2 games...... contact Canton and cue the duck boats

There's not really any need to compare him to KF except to say that for now, he's filling the breach and preventing a crisis. Which is pretty damn good for a guy that had no NFL experience, has been here 2 weeks, and is the size of my miniature poodle.

When he has the ball, he seems to have a force field around him - defenders always seem to be at least 2 yards away from him - which is a great trait, an awareness trait. He also doesn't seem particularly fast in his running style, but nobody catches him.

I kind of expected that he'd be OK to good as a receiver but too small to gain yards via handoff. But he's really doing great at both.

If he can stay healthy, he's got potential to play a huge role this season.

One thing Faulk going down does is it forces Brady to develop chemistry with other players on 3rd down. Last year and this year at times he forced it to Faulk on 3rd down (he only completed 6 of 11 passes to Faulk this year) so his injury was a blessing in disguise to a certain degree.

the Faulk injury while not good at all is a blessing in disguise. we all know that the pats were going to have to find and train up a person to take over that role in the offense and now we have 2 potential people for that role in Woodhead and Edelman (more of a strech i know) and on top of that we have the best in the game to train them up and that is Faulk himself

This too. Faulk wasn't gonna stick around forever, eventually Brady had to move on without his 3rd down pacifier.

One thing Faulk going down does is it forces Brady to develop chemistry with other players on 3rd down. Last year and this year at times he forced it to Faulk on 3rd down (he only completed 6 of 11 passes to Faulk this year) so his injury was a blessing in disguise to a certain degree.

Agree....funny, I was actually thinking at the end of last year that it seemed like Faulk had been around forever, and would either start showing his age and/or get hurt. Not happy it happened, but am happy the replacement parts seem to be working as well as they are.

reading the comments, it is good to see the majority gets the idea:)

a younger option.... and Faulk was past his prime.:eek:

Faulk is replaceable. I said it again.:eek:

seriously I like this guy and now he gets his chance:) Let us hope we have found an equally capable Faulk type player.

He is a young guy as well....... just sayin

Please tell me this is a joke.

Faulk has been a beast on 3rd down since he recovered from his fumblitis early on. Hands down my favorite player since Troy Brown retired.

Faulk has been replaced by a younger buck w/ the same to greater upside than that of Faulk.

I am dead serious..... Faulk was past his prime and now we acquire a Faulk like replacement because he wasn't good enough to play for the Jests ... ironic:)

I have said this mainly about receivers, but Woodhead falls into this category because of his versatility. " You do not know how good a WR is until he is given a chance." So many WR's could be awe3some but remain hidden because they are never thrown to.

Let the Danny Woodhead era begin.:rocker:

I think we are jumping the gun saying the best 3rd down back in the NFL for almost 10 years, is replacable because of a handful of plays.
I like how Woodhead looks, but lets not get carried away.

We arent comparing Ninkovich to McGinest tonight are we?

Seriously.

There's a reason they aren't really asking Woodhead to block, when that was what Faulk was doing most of the time.

That being said, Woodhead does move well in traffic.

As a Jets fan, I said (in a thread here) that Woodhead would be good for you guys.

At the time, the Jets needed a pure WR (Clowney) due to depth issues. Otherwise no way do they cut him. (in fact they played him at wr in the ravens game, he just isn't the build to be able to play split wide consistently)

He fits in much better with the Pats offense than he did with the Jets. Tomlinson is the Jets 3rd down back, and the Jets don't go spread nearly as much which is what Danny is best at.

Plus, they have McKnight who, no matter how much he sucked in pre-season, had to be given a chance due to economics.

He is half receiver half RB. Perfect for the Faulk role.

I root against the Pats as much as the next guy, but I was smiling last night as he made plays.

Can't help but root for this kid

Faulk has been replaced by a younger buck w/ the same to greater upside than that of Faulk.

I am dead serious..... Faulk was past his prime and now we acquire a Faulk like replacement because he wasn't good enough to play for the Jests ... ironic:)

I have said this mainly about receivers, but Woodhead falls into this category because of his versatility. " You do not know how good a WR is until he is given a chance." So many WR's could be awe3some but remain hidden because they are never thrown to.

Let the Danny Woodhead era begin.:rocker:

He's fun to watch but not even close to Faulk.

I mean come on, turf toe is a bigger concern to the defense than Woodheads blocking!

BB has put Woodhead in ideal win, win situations and to Woodheads credit he's executed! But he's no Kevin Faulk.

Woodhead did a small part of what Faulk can do. We didn't see him make a block or make a first down through the air. Those are two huge steps before you call Faulk replaceable.

Not only did he score a touchdown, but I believe he passed the first down sticks at about the 5 on his way to the end zone.

guys dont be ignorant.....

Woody is years younger and a step or two better than Faulk. I see oppurtunity and a better situation.... You faulk fanatics are blinded by his past accomplishments ...... and are not open to seeing a quicker and younger option succeeding where Faulk had done for so long.

Danny is Younger and Quicker...... accept this:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand