PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wishin' NE was ALL about the pigskin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why anybody would consider themselves just a Pats fan or just a Sox fan ...

I've been a Patriots season ticket holder for 13 years and positively loathe the Red Sox. Baseball is an anachronism and is just plain dull; MLB is terribly administered (no salary cap); and the players loaf their way through guaranteed contracts. The Red Sox run their organization like a Chinese fire drill and have selfish ******s like Manny Ramirez on the roster (at least they got rid of Kevin Millar). Fenway Park is a relic/dump that should be dismantled and burned. Sox fans are masochists who thrive on negativity, and the team has never earned the bizarre level of support it receives. The Red Sox are the anti-Patriots, who happened to luck out by purchasing a World Series title in free agency two years ago.

I hope this helps explain why someone would consider himself a Pats fan and hate the Sox.

I've been a Patriots season ticket holder for 13 years and positively loathe the Red Sox. Baseball is an anachronism and is just plain dull; MLB is terribly administered (no salary cap); and the players loaf their way through guaranteed contracts. The Red Sox run their organization like a Chinese fire drill and have selfish ******s like Manny Ramirez on the roster (at least they got rid of Kevin Millar). Fenway Park is a relic/dump that should be dismantled and burned. Sox fans are masochists who thrive on negativity, and the team has never earned the bizarre level of support it receives. The Red Sox are the anti-Patriots, who happened to luck out by purchasing a World Series title in free agency two years ago. I hope this helps explain why someone would consider himself a Pats fan and hate the Sox.
the redsox are anything but dull and coming from behind three games to none was anything but lucky in 2004 .your not a baseball fan thats fine .what i dont understand is the hate .that makes no sense to me at all:rolleyes:

I've been a Patriots season ticket holder for 13 years and positively loathe the Red Sox. Baseball is an anachronism and is just plain dull; MLB is terribly administered (no salary cap); and the players loaf their way through guaranteed contracts. The Red Sox run their organization like a Chinese fire drill and have selfish ******s like Manny Ramirez on the roster (at least they got rid of Kevin Millar). Fenway Park is a relic/dump that should be dismantled and burned. Sox fans are masochists who thrive on negativity, and the team has never earned the bizarre level of support it receives. The Red Sox are the anti-Patriots, who happened to luck out by purchasing a World Series title in free agency two years ago.

I hope this helps explain why someone would consider himself a Pats fan and hate the Sox.

That "selfish ******" happens to be one of the best hitters and run producers in the history of all of baseball. If you're going to know nothing about baseball & not care about the Red Sox at all, at least do the game a favor and not make some superficial judgement on a player based on the musings of a bunch of moronic media members whose scrutinize the guy's every move b/c fans in this area, as you say, thrive on negativity.

As for the Red Sox as anti-Patriots, you have to be fu*king kidding me - maybe in the last five years, yes that has occurred (if we ignore the fact that baseball and football couldn't possibly be any more different). My first memories of the Pats are fans in the stands with paper bags over their faces and all the lifelong Pats fans older than me think I'm a spoiled SOB for getting to grow up rooting for Drew Bledsoe. All the lifelong Pats fans I know are the same masochistic type who root for the Sox. New Englanders bytch about everything, get the hell over it and let people talk about their sports teams however the hell they want. If you don't like watching baseball, just say you don't like watching baseball, but don't try to derive some form of self-esteem or feeling of superiority by putting down the Sox fan base.

That "selfish ******" happens to be one of the best hitters and run producers in the history of all of baseball. If you're going to know nothing about baseball & not care about the Red Sox at all, at least do the game a favor and not make some superficial judgement on a player based on the musings of a bunch of moronic media members whose scrutinize the guy's every move b/c fans in this area, as you say, thrive on negativity.

As for the Red Sox as anti-Patriots, you have to be fu*king kidding me - maybe in the last five years, yes that has occurred (if we ignore the fact that baseball and football couldn't possibly be any more different). My first memories of the Pats are fans in the stands with paper bags over their faces and all the lifelong Pats fans older than me think I'm a spoiled SOB for getting to grow up rooting for Drew Bledsoe. All the lifelong Pats fans I know are the same masochistic type who root for the Sox. New Englanders bytch about everything, get the hell over it and let people talk about their sports teams however the hell they want. If you don't like watching baseball, just say you don't like watching baseball, but don't try to derive some form of self-esteem or feeling of superiority by putting down the Sox fan base.

Look, dude, you wondered aloud how someone could love the Pats and hate the Sox, and I answered you. So, how far back must the Sox be the anti-Pats for the point to stick? Five years is a pretty good stretch, and you acknowledge as much.

Manny Ramirez can swing a bat, but in all other aspects of baseball and life in general, he is a special-needs student. How can you defend that cretin? He is a lazy, stupid, selfish, non-team player who loafs everywhere but the batter's box and takes days off with a hangnail. How long do you think Belichick would put up with garbage like that?

the redsox are anything but dull and coming from behind three games to none was anything but lucky in 2004 .your not a baseball fan thats fine .what i dont understand is the hate .that makes no sense to me at all:rolleyes:

That's easy. They have no integrity. And don't try to sell me on anything other than the fact they purchased a World Series title through free agency.

This thread would make alot more sense to me if I could understand how anyone could like guys making left-hand turns more than baseball or football...and there are lots of them.

People are free to feel how they wish concerning the Red Sox, Bruins, or Celtics....but to me...liking a team or sport is so much more than how good they are which seems to be the rational from more than a few in this thread.

I would love to see this thread...were that to be possible during the Larry Bird and the Ray Borque uears ....guaranteed it would look quite different and prove many supposed fans speak from the sphincter.

That's easy. They have no integrity. And don't try to sell me on anything other than the fact they purchased a World Series title through free agency.
im not trying to sell you on anything .to say the redsox purchased the world series is just stupid :rolleyes: for obvious reasons .your blinded by your strange hate .football players hockey players whatever.if you have gauranteed contracts in football your going to have players that will abuse it maybe even more because of the violent sport football is .football players hockey players they are all the same .baseball just has a stronger union.

Look, dude, you wondered aloud how someone could love the Pats and hate the Sox, and I answered you. So, how far back must the Sox be the anti-Pats for the point to stick? Five years is a pretty good stretch, and you acknowledge as much.

I was merely pointing out that for the vast majority of the history of the Pats, their fans were no different than the Sox fans. I'd say both teams masochistic feelings were pretty justified. I'm not sure why you can't understand where those sentiments come from.

Manny Ramirez can swing a bat, but in all other aspects of baseball and life in general, he is a special-needs student. How can you defend that cretin? He is a lazy, stupid, selfish, non-team player who loafs everywhere but the batter's box and takes days off with a hangnail. How long do you think Belichick would put up with garbage like that?

LOL. Wow, you've never played a single inning of baseball have you?

Alright, I'm not going to get too deep into this, but the "let's compare player a baseball player's attitude to that of a football player" comparison is one of the lamest comparisons in the history of comparisons. I can't think of two sports that are anymore polar opposites. I'll just point out the fact that you play 162 games a year in baseball and let you figure out the rest.

As for Manny being a "cretin", you've been listening to too much Joe Buck or Gerry Callahan. Yes, he may be "special needs", but I'll take a special needs baseball player who produces as much as he does.

But, hey, Trot Nixon would be one hell of a Patriots player wouldn't he?!?@

I was merely pointing out that for the vast majority of the history of the Pats, their fans were no different than the Sox fans. I'd say both teams masochistic feelings were pretty justified. I'm not sure why you can't understand where those sentiments come from.

LOL. Wow, you've never played a single inning of baseball have you?

Alright, I'm not going to get too deep into this, but the "let's compare player a baseball player's attitude to that of a football player" comparison is one of the lamest comparisons in the history of comparisons. I can't think of two sports that are anymore polar opposites. I'll just point out the fact that you play 162 games a year in baseball and let you figure out the rest.

As for Manny being a "cretin", you've been listening to too much Joe Buck or Gerry Callahan. Yes, he may be "special needs", but I'll take a special needs baseball player who produces as much as he does.

But, hey, Trot Nixon would be one hell of a Patriots player wouldn't he?!?@

I played loads of baseball back in my day, but that has nothing to do with what I've observed from MLB, your Sox, and especially Manny the moron. The factors that make any athlete great are universal, regardless of sport -- desire to win, effort to perform and improve, attention to detail, coachability, and team orientation (selflessness). Ramirez plays for himself, and only when he wants to, and often gives a half-assed effort.

For as much as Tunescribe hates the Sox, he sure loves to talk about them.

I dont live in Boston, but traveld to New England alot for Pats games and vacations, but dont understand the love of not just the Red Sox but baseball in general.. 162 games to 16 great weeks, and if lucky 19 great weeks.. Baseball is boring, and Boston should pay more attention to a real sport and and real team like football and the Pats..

I dont live in Boston, but traveld to New England alot for Pats games and vacations, but dont understand the love of not just the Red Sox but baseball in general.. 162 games to 16 great weeks, and if lucky 19 great weeks.. Baseball is boring, and Boston should pay more attention to a real sport and and real team like football and the Pats..

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

I don't want to join any argument, I just want to chime in on Manny. I don't care if the guy wears women's underwear while sacrificing live chickens inside the green monster between innings. He is one hell of a hitter. If the only way he can make it through a long 162 game season is to take the occasional day off and watch a ground ball here or there so be it.

It used to bug me watching him loaf early into his Sox tenure, since when I played baseball I was a high-energy type who ran as hard as I could on every single play. I like seeing guys play that way. There is more than one way skin a cat though, and if Manny being Manny leads to Manny hitting like Manny then I can't really complain.

Besides, it's not like the guy is malicious.

Ok, I will put up a slight defense for the Sox. How many guys on the '04 team were high-priced free agents? I count Manny, Damon, and Foulke. Yes they definitely had an advantage that some teams didn't in that they were able to sign guys like Pedro and Schilling after trading for them, and they were able to retain their own free agents. The team deserves credit though for the fact that most of the team was built through trades, the farm system, and non-lavish free agency.

How ironic, a 6 page thread about the Sox lamenting coverage of the Sox.

im sick of it and really dont care. Im a long island pats fan. Grew up on eastern long Island, and back in the 80's if you had a t.v with rabbit ear antennas you would get newengland t.v. reaching from conneticuit across the long island sound. The pats and jets play at 1pm mostly, and hating the jets, i watched the pats at 1, and became a fan back in the early 80's. So of course like everyone else i hated the yankees, so im a big mets fan, and my dad had season tickets and was lucky enough to be part of the mets 86 championship. Now the last 3 yaers i been living in vermont, and its nice to be with my home football team and fans...............but hate the red sox talk.
I just think about the mookie wilson trickler through buckners legs and im happy.

The Red Sox are much easier targets of criticism than the Patriots.

Across New England you will find THOUSANDS of people that think they can do Francona's job better than Francona himself.

Across New England you will find almost no one that think they can do Bill Belicheck's job better than Bill himself.

We are a tough love sports city, so I think some of the press has to do with how much 'ammo' there is to even write about. The Sox with Francona and all the wacky characters they have in the clubhouse (see Manny) provide a lot of writing material. The Patriots winning ways have almost becoming boring to the local media.

I hate the Red Sox media hoopla too, but this is my take on why it exists.

I don't want to join any argument, I just want to chime in on Manny. I don't care if the guy wears women's underwear while sacrificing live chickens inside the green monster between innings. He is one hell of a hitter. If the only way he can make it through a long 162 game season is to take the occasional day off and watch a ground ball here or there so be it.

It used to bug me watching him loaf early into his Sox tenure, since when I played baseball I was a high-energy type who ran as hard as I could on every single play. I like seeing guys play that way. There is more than one way skin a cat though, and if Manny being Manny leads to Manny hitting like Manny then I can't really complain.

Besides, it's not like the guy is malicious.

Good post. Curt Schilling has gone on record saying Manny is the hardest working hitter he's ever seen, yet that's not enough for those like Tunescribe, all they see is the eccentricities.

Fact is, a decent portion of athletes are just happy to have the perception that they are hard working and have a good attitude, Manny just happens to be someone who doesn't give a flying fu*k about perception, and that's why people like me like him. We can relate to the guy. He just goes out there and does his thing.

Maybe I should show up at Tunescribes work and make sure it looks like he's working hard the entire time, b/c if he takes a second off to laugh at a co-worker's joke or if he takes a minute here or there to post at patsfan, then maybe one would be tempted to call him a "selfish ******".

Behind the scenes, Manny prepares harder than anyone. You don't become the best hitter in baseball by being a "selfish ******".

You don't become the best hitter in baseball by being a "selfish ******".

First of all, he's not the best hitter in baseball. (And since when did anything motormouth Schilling say carry any credibility?)

Secondly, being a selfish ****** = dogging it on the base paths and in the outfield, relieving himself in the scoreboard, eating sunflower seeds in the outfield WHILE THE BALL IS IN PLAY, feigning phantom injuries, directly disobeying the manager, taking days off when the team needs him, calling himself "great," failing to pick up coaches' signals while on base, and otherwise generally behaving like a spoiled 12-year-old.

If that fool only played DH you might have half a point to make, but then you'd face the impossible task of justifying his performance on the base paths. He is pathetic, and it's not mere coincidence that his team has tried multiple times to unload him.

If that fool only played DH you might have half a point to make, but then you'd face the impossible task of justifying his performance on the base paths. He is pathetic, and it's not mere coincidence that his team has tried multiple times to unload him.

That probably has more to do with his bloated contract & the fact that Manny doesn't like this town than anything. He's been a productive member of some good Indians & Sox teams - if you are trying to say he's a detriment to a given squad, you're fighting an uphill battle against reality.

I digress, I don't want to turn this into a Manny debate - I just think your anti-Sox attitude is a little bit snobbery and out of place. If you don't want to watch them, that's your perogative.

That probably has more to do with his bloated contract & the fact that Manny doesn't like this town than anything. He's been a productive member of some good Indians & Sox teams - if you are trying to say he's a detriment to a given squad, you're fighting an uphill battle against reality.

I digress, I don't want to turn this into a Manny debate - I just think your anti-Sox attitude is a little bit snobbery and out of place. If you don't want to watch them, that's your perogative.

The point of this thread is how the Red Sox obsession is misplaced to where it's bumping the Patriots' stretch run off the airwaves. I couldn't agree more with the original poster's sentiments, and have been explaining why. No one denies that your hero Manny is a good hitter, but in the bigger scheme of things he is symptomatic of what can make his sport (on the professional level), and team, quite insufferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back