PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wishin' NE was ALL about the pigskin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see Baseball go salary cap. That would make it more interesting for a lot of people and would end the out-bid/out-buy Yankees/Red Sox feud that goes on every season. I'm sure many like baseball the way it is and that is great but I'm the type of fan that wouldn't mind this change at all.
My biggest hang-up on this topic is the way baseball talk in NE consumes much of the football season. I live in Maine and our sports radio talkshow in the AM is quite annoying in that regard. The Pats do get their share of coverage but the talk always is lured back to what moves the Sox and Yanks are making.

I'm thinking of starting an anti-Red Sox club. It's because of girly-man shenanigans like these and all the drama queen crap down through the years (Pedro, Millar, Manny, Theo, etc.) that I have dubbed them the Desperate Housewives. They have no class, no integrity, and do not deserve the hype they get. But my biggest gripe of all is how they suck up the airwaves during football season.

That's a good thing. The 'EEI hosts can't talk football to save their lives (Perillo being the exception).

But if you're concerned about the 'drama queen crap,' all I can say is that it's not 2003 anymore.

They have a different way of doing things, but that doesn't necessarily make it that much worse.

The Pats get PLENTY of airtime during baseball season too. You can't tell me from April to October there's no Pats talk on 'EEI.

I hate the Red Sox! It's the sneaky way they go about things...Lyndon Byers said on his radio show that Dice K rented a condo in Downtown Boston, 3 weeks ago. Yet they're telling everyone that he signed his contract on Thursday. Same with Lugo, he signed his contract a month ago. Why wait a month to announce it? It's all staged. It's a friggin joke.

He rented a condo in Boston because it was either he was signed here or he went back to Japan. Even Dice-K said he didn't expect the negotiations to go on as long as they did.

They waited a few days (not a month) to announce Lugo's because 'agreeing to terms' and 'signing' are two different things. Maddux 'agreed' a week ago but the move was officially announced only a day or two ago.

The statement that Boston and (New York) for that matter are baseball towns is fales. like the rest of America this is a football area. If you dont believe me, see how low the local ratings were for the MLB playoffs and World Series. They were non existant, meanwhile, meaningless Oakland raider football game did a better rating locally. A baseball town would watch the playoffs and especially the WS over a 4th week football game with one of the worse teams in the league.

This perception is brought up by the Globe (owned by the RedSox) NESN(owned by the Red Sox) and WEEI, who have a bunch of talk show hosts, who are about as out of touch with the NE fan base as anyone. Also the main sports writers are from a generation of 40 years ago when baseball was more popular, and that is the sport they love writing about. Eventhough in most parts of the country it is a dead sport. They have not had a young columnist at either major paper in years. So you also have a generation gap between the 40 and under sports fans (mostly football) and the 40 and older sports fan (mostly baseball)

In actuality, like all cities, the teams that are winning are popular. The Celtics were way more popular than the Sox in the 80s, teh Brunis were more popular in the 70s, etc. Only recently have the red sox had this popularity, except during the years they were winning, as recently as 10 years ago you can walk up to fenway and get a great seat. You havent been able to that for a Pats game for a while.

This sox mania is much bigger now, than ever before because the sox are constantly competative, due to the salary inequities in basebal giving the sox a competative advantage. So the sox will always have big signings and garner headlines. But in actuality the Pats are more popular when you look at team value The Pats are the 3rd most valuable sports franchise in the US behind the Skins and Cowboys, the sox are not even in the top 10. TV ratings are higher for the Pats (although granted their are only 16 Pats game, and 162 Red Sox games). Merchandising favors the Pats, DVD sales, Pats weekly TV show, Internet web site, pats.com is way more popular than sox,com. Although that is again a generation thing as Sox fans are on average much older. And just about any other pop culture measurment proves the Pats are more popular, but the Boston media ignores this for their own bias agendas.

I'm thinking of starting an anti-Red Sox club. It's because of girly-man shenanigans like these and all the drama queen crap down through the years (Pedro, Millar, Manny, Theo, etc.) that I have dubbed them the Desperate Housewives. They have no class, no integrity, and do not deserve the hype they get. But my biggest gripe of all is how they suck up the airwaves during football season. I could care less if Babe Ruth's ghost comes back or Fenway implodes. 'EEI could be talking about another potential Super Bowl run with the Patriots, but instead we get goofball Mike Adams trying to get "Sweet Caroline" translated to Japanese. I almost barfed but switched stations in the nick of time.
Wasn't there serious talk about the Patriots moving out of New England, on two different occasions, I think? With the Red Sox, never. In the early 50s when it became clear Boston wasn't supporting both an AL and an NL team, it was immediately the Braves that were assumed to be the one to move. At least two old football franchises failed previously in Boston: the Yanks and the Redskins. I realize that both of those examples are pretty old. Then again, at the last super bowl, against the Eagles, it sounded like an Eagles home game. The N.E. region is more into baseball than football. Nature of the beast. But, both are doing well, aren't they?

I'm thinking of starting an anti-Red Sox club. It's because of girly-man shenanigans like these and all the drama queen crap down through the years (Pedro, Millar, Manny, Theo, etc.) that I have dubbed them the Desperate Housewives. They have no class, no integrity, and do not deserve the hype they get. But my biggest gripe of all is how they suck up the airwaves during football season. I could care less if Babe Ruth's ghost comes back or Fenway implodes. 'EEI could be talking about another potential Super Bowl run with the Patriots, but instead we get goofball Mike Adams trying to get "Sweet Caroline" translated to Japanese. I almost barfed but switched stations in the nick of time.

I swear to God, that's their main goal. They don't want any other sports team to exist in this city. I wouldn't be surprised if they're putting some money in Glen Ordway's pockets. And don't be surprised if they start their Manny BS again soon since we're coming down the stretch of the football season. An anti-Red Sox club huh? Sign me up!!:singing:

He rented a condo in Boston because it was either he was signed here or he went back to Japan. Even Dice-K said he didn't expect the negotiations to go on as long as they did.

They waited a few days (not a month) to announce Lugo's because 'agreeing to terms' and 'signing' are two different things. Maddux 'agreed' a week ago but the move was officially announced only a day or two ago.

Sure, rent a condo in a city half way around the world, a month before you even sign a contract. Give me a break. I've seen this before from the Red Sox. They wait to announce the signings on stretegic days or time frames, specifically the end of football season. With the sole purpose of controlling the media.

Wasn't there serious talk about the Patriots moving out of New England, on two different occasions, I think? With the Red Sox, never. In the early 50s when it became clear Boston wasn't supporting both an AL and an NL team, it was immediately the Braves that were assumed to be the one to move. At least two old football franchises failed previously in Boston: the Yanks and the Redskins. I realize that both of those examples are pretty old. Then again, at the last super bowl, against the Eagles, it sounded like an Eagles home game. The N.E. region is more into baseball than football. Nature of the beast. But, both are doing well, aren't they?

One thing I'd differ with you on: The New England region is more into football, but Boston is way more into baseball.

Sure, rent a condo in a city half way around the world, a month before you even sign a contract. Give me a break. I've seen this before from the Red Sox. They wait to announce the signings on stretegic days or time frames, specifically the end of football season. With the sole purpose of controlling the media.

And WEEI is all too willing to accommodate. As the Sox' flagship station, it's all about drumming up support around baseball to please advertisers. The Globe, of course, and NESN are financially tied to the Sox as well. I think a large part of Sox hysteria is driven by this rather than the other way around (coming from the fans).

And WEEI is all too willing to accommodate. As the Sox' flagship station, it's all about drumming up support around baseball to please advertisers. The Globe, of course, and NESN are financially tied to the Sox as well. I think a large part of Sox hysteria is driven by this rather than the other way around (coming from the fans).

I tend to disagree. Without the locals' innate love for the Red Sox, NESN and WEEI and the Globe would just be preaching to an empty room. And clearly they're not.

Tunescribe said:
One thing I'd differ with you on: The New England region is more into football, but Boston is way more into baseball.

Very true.

But baseball has/is/will dominant until you reach the Mid-Atlantic/Ohio Valley and beyond.

The same is true for college sports too. College/high school basketball (even lacrosse) is extremely dominant around here, but once you move into the Midwest and South the size of some of the stadiums (OSU, FLA, etc.) is a testament to college/high school football's popularity there.

(In Texas, high school football games are on ESPN and played in Texas Stadium. Here, high school football is forgotten.)

You think so? How would you measure something like that?

You think so? How would you measure something like that?

Boston is into RED SOX baseball, not baseball overall. I think sports fans here will watch, say, the Chargers play the Broncos, but wouldn't watch the Padres vs. Rockies.

I'm probably 51% Red Sox, 49% Patriots myself.

I have to say football season is vital, and it's the season we all wait for with baited breath, edge of our seats, etc. Baseball is the thing you watch because football isn't on yet.

In football season, I'm 99% Pats, 1% Sox. In baseball season, I'm 50% Sox, 50% Pats... and the Pats aren't even playing.

So yeah it's caught my eye that we signed Andrew Dice K, or whatever the hell his name is. I found it funny that the Yanks went out and immediately got the OTHER Japanese guy. Must be the year for raiding the Japanese league(s)... but it's more important to me how we play against Houston (!), than which pitcher we got.

PFnV

I hate the Red Sox! It's the sneaky way they go about things...Lyndon Byers said on his radio show that Dice K rented a condo in Downtown Boston, 3 weeks ago. Yet they're telling everyone that he signed his contract on Thursday. Same with Lugo, he signed his contract a month ago. Why wait a month to announce it? It's all staged. It's a friggin joke.

I doubt that's true. Dice-K would have had to be inside the States and shopping for a place to live 3 weeks ago. As far as I know he was in Japan 3 weeks ago. Also didn't the Sox contract have provisions for settling in him and his family to Boston? Why would that be needed if he already had a place all locked up? This guy needs a translator just to understand what's being said at a press conference. I doubt he was casually condo shopping 3 weeks ago in downtown Boston.

Sports shouldn't have to compete. I can follow both the Sox and Pats without any conflict.

The Matsuzaka signing is the biggest thing to happen to the Sox since '04. They were able to get a 26 year old ace and all it cost them was money. Add to that the fact that he's Japanese, there was an unprecedented $51M fee just to negotiate, and that his agent is the most notorious agent in Americn sports and it was a huge story. Boras's posturing and the Sox contingent flying out to LA to force negotiations, with a "when the plane takes off it's over" deadline; it was all very dramatic.

Considering this all culminated in a week that followed the Patriots being embarrassed in Miami and it is understandable why people wanted to talk Sox.

As for other points, I haven't heard about the Matsuzaka condo thing anywhere but the reason this deal wasn't done a month ago was Boras, and the only reason it got done was that Matsuzaka overruled him. Daisuke was intent on pitching in the US.

As for Drew & Lugo, smart teams no longer announce deals until physicals have been done. I will admit that this Sox FO doesn't seem to be in any rush to finalize their deals.

Besides, I didn't know that crap that sports talk show hosts made up was suddenly considered truth.

Quoting football vs baseball ratings and using those to determine popularity is either disingenuous or stupid, depending on your intentions. Football games are once-a-week events which typically air before primetime. Baseball teams play at least 6 games a week, and their playoff series are best of 7. Oh, and I don't want to stay up until midnight waiting for a baseball game to end when I get up for work at 5:30. Maybe you can compare game 7s to football playoff games: what were the ratings in Boston for the '03 and '04 game 7s vs the Yanks?

I could instead measure popularity by total season attendance. In that scenario the 162 vs 16 games would work for the Sox, rather than against them. And it'd be an equally bad measurement.

I am soooo sick of the off-season Sox talk. I like and support the Sox because they are the hometown team but, really....this foolish fanfare over Dice-K, or whatever they are calling him, is making me ill. It is FOOTBALL season!!! I realize the Pats have come a LONG way in their footbal NE fanbase but it still bothers me. I understand the whole Sox history VS the Pats shorter history here and all that but really........Does anyone else get annoyed the way I do? I hope I'm reading this the wrong way.......I hope the region appreciates the Pats but sometimes I wonder. I apologize if this rant is repetitive. This topic has been bugging me since the dramatized "Winter Talks" began. I feel like I'm the only one who is sick of the Sox!!!
why would you wish newengland was all football when there are three other great teams with deep proud histories .i love the patriots and i also love the redsox bruins and celtics .

Will you complain in the summer pre training camp when the media is almost 24/7 Patriots talk... get a clue. The media beats to death whatever story they get like Patriots training camp during baseball season and it was 24/7 Deion Branch.

Exactly!!

Geez, some Pats fan whine that it's all Sox talks and believe me, some Sox fans whine that it's all Pats talk. I say, F everybody, I'm a C's fan too, I want some damn C's talk!

Really though, I don't see why anybody would consider themselves just a Pats fan or just a Sox fan - if you're a sports fan, if you're from Boston or New England, there's a high probablity that you root for multiple Boston sports teams. Sure, we might like one more than the other, but it's silly to divide ourselves like this.

The media is going to talk about whatever stirs up the most emotions and interest in people. You have the perogative to seek out whatever news you'd like - Mike Reiss alone provides plenty of great stuff for us on a daily basis, I can't see how you can complain about Pats coverage in Btown.

Well the coverage in Boston might be good but the coverage in Maine for the Pats is lacking. Good point about the C's though. One of my co-workers is a huge Celtics/Bruins fan (More so than the Pats and the Sox) and is often complaining about the lack of B's and C's talk in the local paper. I am much better off than he is at least. I do support all NE regional teams like most of us do, but I admit it; I'm addicted to the Pats and am selfishly seeking all the coverage possible. My bad. I need serious help. My poor wife.

I also want to give props to our biggest newspaper- the Portland Press Herald. They try to cover all the sports teams they can. It is our local radio AM talk show that is too skewed to one team. I so wish I could get the Boston sports talk radio shows. I need Sirius or XM I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News