PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winning with this current receiver corp is not sustainable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomkins just had that dream where you wake up, you're in an NFL game, Tom Brady's throwing it to you and you can't remember how you got there.

He's going to be fine. The confidence he showed in preseason isn't going to go away. He got his jitters out of the way and they escaped with a win.
I would imagine one horrific game for real erodes any confidence you get from pretend games.
But really, its a matter of ability not confidence. We will see if it was a bad day, or the real Thompkins that didn't set the world on fire in college.

Robert Woods had 1 catch for 17 yards. Unacceptable. Stevie Johnson had 3 catches for 39 yards. Unacceptable.

And you know how you make it "acceptable" with Thompkins? You throw to the guy 14 times. You get those mental mistakes out of his system.
These aren't the New England Kembrells. He either does the job or he sits. The purpose of games is not to throw a lot to a guy who wont catch it because we really really want to see him be a success story.

You sit down with him in the film room and show him that likely touchdown he blew by not cutting back the other way sooner - he had the right idea, just one split second too late. Those are mistakes you LEARN from.
Or we play guys who don't make so many mistakes.

Two years ago, my talented shortstop blew the playoffs with a wretched couple of games. Plays he could make in his sleep became OMG! HELP! moments in the playoffs.

Last year, another guy expressed concern when the playoffs started. I laughed - no problem. We won...shortstop played like an all-star.
This isn't little league.

Tom Brady will keep targeting Thompkins over and over until he plays the way he played in pre-season. It's NOT the same thing. The difference between a pre-seasson game an the NFL opener (in a hostile environment, no less) is HUGE.
No he wont.

Patience. As long as Brady handles it well, Thompkins and the other 3 kids will be fine. In a way, I'm glad Brady made a couple of boneheaded errors - the fumble, the throw to Sudfeld - as well, because he needs humility and patience here to bring these guys along.
The throw to Sudfeld was a good throw, Sudfeld stumbled then tipped it to the defender.
Again, the teams goal is not to lose games to make Thompkins develop. He needs to get it quick or sit down.

To put Tompkins 4/42 performance in perspective for yesterday.

Tavon Austin #8 6/41
Cordarrelle Patterson #29 1/10
Justin Hunter #34 nothing
Robert Woods #41 1/18
Aaron Dobson #59 DNP
Terrance Williams #74 2/32
Marquise Goodwin #78 1/0 (yes zero)
Markus Wheaton NADA
Stedman Bailey #91 zilch
Ace Sanders #101 3/14
Josh Boyce #102 zero
Chris Harper #123 nope
Quinton Patton #128 still no
Denard Robinson #135 nope
Kenny Stills #144 2/86

Of the rest of the 12 drafted receivers Brice Butler 1/8.

DeAndre Hopkins and Keenan Allen play tonight although I don't know if Hopkins has been cleared. So only Kenny Still had more production in week one. Draftniks on this board loved a lot of those guys.

Thompkins looked frantic to me. If he slows it down and relaxes I think he'll improve. Dobson not dressing is much more disconcerting to me. I'm afraid he'll get buried and will never get off the blocks.

Tavon Austin #8 6/41
Robert Woods #41 1/18
Aaron Dobson #59 DNP
Markus Wheaton NADA
Stedman Bailey #91 zilch
Ace Sanders #101 3/14
Josh Boyce #102 zero
Chris Harper #123 nope
Kenny Stills #144 2/86

The problem wasn't so much KT's numbers but his effectiveness when his number was called. If Stills got targeted 10 times in the NO-ATL game he'd have done better probably.

I'm bullish on his potential going forward but I would not characterize that game's production as good by any measure.

The problem wasn't so much KT's numbers but his effectiveness when his number was called. If Stills got targeted 10 times in the NO-ATL game he'd have done better probably.

I'm bullish on his potential going forward but I would not characterize that game's production as good by any measure.

There's no doubt his target percentage wasn't good but all the mistakes are fixable and the list was more of a reminder that not many rookies come in and just light it up no matter the targets.

There's no doubt his target percentage wasn't good but all the mistakes are fixable and the list was more of a reminder that not many rookies come in and just light it up no matter the targets.

He sucked. Perspective's not needed, because his lousy game was obvious, without the need for an incomplete comparison to other rookies. What's needed is significant improvement by the player or his replacement.

I think there's a few plays that KT would love to have back but all-in-all he's showed something we haven't seen from a Patriots outside WR in a long time: the ability to get open.

These kind of analyses may serve to let some of the hot air our Draftniks swelled heads. ;)

They are really good guys beyond that, but the arrogance they display criticizing BB is becoming obnoxious at times. :cool:

Tavon Austin #8 6/41
Robert Woods #41 1/18
Aaron Dobson #59 DNP
Markus Wheaton NADA
Stedman Bailey #91 zilch
Ace Sanders #101 3/14
Josh Boyce #102 zero
Chris Harper #123 nope
Kenny Stills #144 2/86

Of the rest of the 12 drafted receivers Brice Butler 1/8.

DeAndre Hopkins and Keenan Allen play tonight although I don't know if Hopkins has been cleared. So only Kenny Still had more production in week one. Draftniks on this board loved a lot of those guys.

Thompkins looked frantic to me. If he slows it down and relaxes I think he'll improve. Dobson not dressing is much more disconcerting to me. I'm afraid he'll get buried and will never get off the blocks.

The 4 receptions for 42 yards isn't the issue, the issue is that he was targeted 14 times and consistently looked out of place, and when a play went bad he got up and was staring at Brady like what did you do that for.

The issue is we have NO vertical passing game. I don't know if this is a result of the system or bad WRs, but it is the same issue we've had for awhile. Re-watch that game and see how many times the Bills had 9 or 10 defenders within 7 yds of the LOS. Buffalo's secondary is not good, but almost all of the Pats' completions were highly contested. Playing pass defense is not difficult when you have absolutely no fear of getting beat deep.

We had one of the best offenses in NFL history in 2012 with no vertical game. Thompkins, Gronkowski, Dobson and Boyce could all be part of the 2013 vertical game.

Give it time.

However, even without a vertical game, we still could have one of the pass offenses in the NFL.

I don't know if this is a result of the system or bad WRs, but it is the same issue we've had for awhile.

The issue is we have NO vertical passing game. I don't know if this is a result of the system or bad WRs, but it is the same issue we've had for awhile. Re-watch that game and see how many times the Bills had 9 or 10 defenders within 7 yds of the LOS. Buffalo's secondary is not good, but almost all of the Pats' completions were highly contested. Playing pass defense is not difficult when you have absolutely no fear of getting beat deep.

Great post, I would love to see what Dopson can do on the outsides if healthy.

He sucked. Perspective's not needed, because his lousy game was obvious, without the need for an incomplete comparison to other rookies. What's needed is significant improvement by the player or his replacement.

Wow Captain obvious.

An undrafted receiver playing his first nfl game doesn't live up to preseason hype, and needs to improve.

Thompkins did the best of all drafted/undrafted rookies this year in the first game. to make a blanket statement that he sucked and it doesn't matter how he did compared to the other rookies in the league is just obnoxious troll bait.

Wow Captain obvious.

An undrafted receiver playing his first nfl game doesn't live up to preseason hype, and needs to improve.

Thompkins did the best of all drafted/undrafted rookies this year in the first game. to make a blanket statement that he sucked and it doesn't matter how he did compared to the other rookies in the league is just obnoxious troll bait.

No, what's troll bait is you making really senseless statements while following me around thread to thread.

My very first post in this thread:

Rookies need time. It's one thing to analyze the game. It's another to write them off after game 1.

Analyzing the Patriots game does not require a comparison to every rookie who played in the NFL yesterday. It requires analyzing the Patriots game.

Wow Captain obvious.

I give Deus crap all the time, but it seems to me he has been more than fair in this thread. KT had a bad game, no reason to sugar coat it. As far as I can tell, DI hasn't been implying that this game means Thompkins is a sure-fire failure this year, either

Frankly, I give Deus a lot of credit. After that game he could justifiably lord his concerned viewpoint over the board, but he is showing a good deal of restraint.

These aren't the New England Kembrells. He either does the job or he sits. The purpose of games is not to throw a lot to a guy who wont catch it because we really really want to see him be a success story.

Really? Come on, you're a better poster than to go there. Whether I WANT him to be a success story has nothing to do with it.

One of the reasons receivers kept washing out of here in the last few years, in my opinion, has been because Brady hasn't needed to develop any chemistry with them. He had other guys. He doesn't now.

Or we play guys who don't make so many mistakes.

You go ahead and find them and I'm right with you there.

This isn't little league.

Neither was my anecdote.

The throw to Sudfeld was a good throw, Sudfeld stumbled then tipped it to the defender.
Again, the teams goal is not to lose games to make Thompkins develop. He needs to get it quick or sit down.

The throw to Sudfeld was into tight coverage and he stumbled - something I saw a lot yesterday on that field (Thompkins, Ridley being the most obvious).

You can sit Thompkins down and put Boyce in there - and he'll make rookie mistakes. You can sit Boyce down and put Dobson in there and he'll make rookie mistakes.

Unless you want to call back Lloyd or work some trade somewhere, this is it. They develop one or two of these guys to play that outside position, or we'll be in the playoffs with Amendola, Gronk and Edelman (if none are hurt).

Personally, I don't care is it's Simms, Thompkins, Boyce, or Dobson out there. Heck, I don't care if it's Lloyd, if he's the best choice. Someone's got to be out there, and unless they bring in Lloyd, some rookie's got to get some work to develop out there, or this season is toast.

We had one of the best offenses in NFL history in 2012 with no vertical game. Thompkins, Gronkowski, Dobson and Boyce could all be part of the 2013 vertical game.

Give it time.

However, even without a vertical game, we still could have one of the pass offenses in the NFL.

We had one of the best offenses in the NFL in 2012 with two proven WRs, two All Pro TEs and quality RBs. We had this offense in spite of having no vertical passing game which caught up with us in the playoffs. I believe the Buffalo game was an example of another team taking Baltimore's approach and just bringing everyone to the LOS. Just bunch everything up so every pass is heavily contested. Buffalo's secondary is horrible, was missing its two best players, and we took one shot downfield on a Stick 9 to our frickin RB.

When you are completing all of your passes in such a confined space, below avg defenses can make every completion difficult. That's what we saw on Sunday. Until we give DBs and LBs a reason to back off, defenses are going to continue to bunch the middle of the field and play 1 on 1 press on the outside. That is going to give us a great deal of problems when we play legitimate defenses.

We had one of the best offenses in the NFL in 2012 with two proven WRs, two All Pro TEs and quality RBs. We had this offense in spite of having no vertical passing game which caught up with us in the playoffs. I believe the Buffalo game was an example of another team taking Baltimore's approach and just bringing everyone to the LOS. Just bunch everything up so every pass is heavily contested. Buffalo's secondary is horrible, was missing its two best players, and we took one shot downfield on a Stick 9 to our frickin RB.

When you are completing all of your passes in such a confined space, below avg defenses can make every completion difficult. That's what we saw on Sunday. Until we give DBs and LBs a reason to back off, defenses are going to continue to bunch the middle of the field and play 1 on 1 press on the outside. That is going to give us a great deal of problems when we play legitimate defenses.

Bingo!

I really hope Thompkins improves, and Dobson can give us a deep threat.:cool:

Just saw the game, was away. Bills were very lucky to be so close. Pats completely outplayed them. Fumbles, lucky interception, holding by Bills dbs, slippery field. Did the Bills move the ball on only 2 drives?

Brady hurried alot, some bad throws and some great ones.
K. Thompkins

Mckelvin obvious hold
Kt slips
Brady throws behind him under pressure
2ndq
doesn’t get 2nd foot down
3rd
Screen, low pass, kt on ground drops it
Catch at the 2, if Brady throws it higher td
Catch out of endzone….wasnt aware where he was
4th
kt catch
Kt comes to a stop…experience
Throw behind kt..should have stopped earlier?
Sideline route mckelvin all over kt
After reading about KT i was worried, after seeing the game, I wouldnt have expected more from a rookie in his 1st game. Ocho never had such a good game. I mean to get targeted 14 times , not bad. Dropped 1 bal which he had to go to the ground to catch. 2 feet in bounds, I think he will learn that.

Ridley....good running, hold the ball.

If I was watching the gamee without knowing the score, I prob would have had a more negative view. Guess thats why BB wants to see game tape before he comments.
Enjoy this team, 3rd youngest in league?

Oh yea Allen...pretty good I thought...1 shank? or was he aiming out of bounds...and didnt kick it well? Placed the ball nicely on short punts. and ! chance ofr a long one was backed up in endzone...could have done better.

IMHO, we have about the same basic components as last year.

A) Amendola and Edelman are this year's 2 proven WR's. Edelman is as good as Lloyd.

B) We had one pro-level TE in 2012, except for three games.

C) We had Ridley and Woodhead (plus Vereen and Bolden). We now have Ridley and Vereen (plus Blount, Washington and Bolden).

D) This year's Thompkins will likely produce more than last year's Branch. And that doesn't count on any production at all from Dobson and Boyce. This is unproven talent. However, Branch didn't exactly produce at a pro-level last year.

We had one of the best offenses in the NFL in 2012 with two proven WRs, two All Pro TEs and quality RBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back