Willie McGinest

Status
Not open for further replies.

workhorse

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
A couple of things...

One, heck of a game.

Two, after 2 or 3 sacks, maybe try sending some help to block him.

Three, on that one sack where he had Leftwich but couldn't get him down at first, what was the deal with him clubbing at Leftwich's head? I'm just wondering because I thought coming anywhere close to a QB's head was a no no in the NFL.

Willie was pimpin for Canton tonite. Get the bust ready.

patsfaninpa said:

Even if he doesn't do anything else he has already:

Played in four Superbowls, has three rings, holds the record for most sacks in a playoff game, in the playoffs, and I believe he is either tied for or one behind the record fro most sacks in the Superbowl. Sounds like HOFer to me.

Hat's off to Willie!

With his prolific performance last night, there is no longer anyone in the NFL record books with more sacks notched in postseason play.

Not Bruce Smith. Not Reggie White. Not anyone.

McGinest, who passed both former NFL greats last night, has now dropped the quarterback 15 times in the playoffs during his career. That mark now stands as the best ever. Until of course, McGinest adds to the total.

notwithstanding Abc mentioned him

Mc Ginnest
Mc Ginist

and also, rightly, Mc Ginest

our # 55 was

EXTRAORDINARY
THE BEST
A WARRIOR
INVINCIBLE
GRANDE WILLIE MC GINEST !!!

BRAVO WILLIE !!!

COMPLIMENTI WILLIE !!!

GO PATS !!!

workhorse said:
Three, on that one sack where he had Leftwich but couldn't get him down at first, what was the deal with him clubbing at Leftwich's head? I'm just wondering because I thought coming anywhere close to a QB's head was a no no in the NFL.

looked more like he grabbed for the helmet (at most slapping)--i believe the rule is meant more for actual clubbing/punching...and of course is a matter of circumstance and umpires discretion...

patsfaninpa said:

There's been alot of discussion on this board about whether or not Willie is a HOFer. The general opinion was that he was worth consideration but not a lock. The voters love stats and records and now he's got a few. I call him a lock!

The best part of his day was after the last gift sack where the quaterback was chased into him he pulled himself from the game signalling enough is enough with a big smile on his face.

Sack Records

Willie needs 2 more sacks in a Super Bowl to get the record.

Here are the breakdowns for S.B.s and playoffs
Super Bowl SACKS
Most Sacks, Career
4.5 Charles Haley, San Francisco-Dallas, 5 games
3.0 Danny Stubbs, San Francisco, 2 games
Leonard Marshall, N.Y. Giants, 2 games
Jeff Wright, Buffalo, 4 games
Reggie White, Green Bay, 2 games
Willie McGinest, New England, 4 games
Tedy Bruschi, New England, 4 games
Mike Vrabel, New England, 3 games
2.5 Dexter Manley, Washington, 3 games

Palyoffs SACKS
Most Sacks, Career
16.0 Willie McGinest, New England, 17 games
14.5 Bruce Smith, Buffalo, 20 games
12.0 Reggie White, Philadelphia-Green Bay, 19 games

jeffd said:
There's been alot of discussion on this board about whether or not Willie is a HOFer. The general opinion was that he was worth consideration but not a lock. The voters love stats and records and now he's got a few. I call him a lock!

He will make it now. Just a question of how many ballots it will take.

workhorse said:
A couple of things...

One, heck of a game.

Leave it to a Colts fan to throw cold water on a great performance. Sometimes it takes a while, but you can take the Colts fan out of Troll City but you can't take the Troll City out of a Colts fan.

workhorse said:
I had to rewind that one to see it again at the time. I was laughing and couldn't believe he wasn't called for what looked like taking 3 whacks at the QBs head. But after rewinding it and watching the replay, I'm guessing it wasn't called because it was pretty clear he was trying to slap at the ball and the head contact was incidental.

PATSNUTme said:
Leave it to a Colts fan to throw cold water on a great performance. Sometimes it takes a while, but you can take the Colts fan out of Troll City but you can't take the Troll City out of a Colts fan.

I wasn't trolling, I was just asking a question. Usually you come anywhere near the head and there is flag.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I had to rewind that one to see it again at the time. I was laughing and couldn't believe he wasn't called for what looked like taking 3 whacks at the QBs head. But after rewinding it and watching the replay, I'm guessing it wasn't called because it was pretty clear he was trying to slap at the ball and the head contact was incidental.

It was almost comical. I was like "oh my goddness, I can't beleive he's beating him down like that...and right in front of the ref." I was was just wondering if anyone else saw the same thing.

If I may also make a suggestion, it would be nice to have a descriptive title for these threads to avoid duplication

Thread titles like

"Mangini"

and

"Willie McGinest"

and

"Tom Brady"

and

"New England Patriots"

could probably benefit from being a bit more descriptive and might avoid duplicate threads

being possibly willies biggest fan, i always keep my eye on him on every defensive play (whenever hes in, since 94)

anyway, one thing id thought id note is that while statistically this was his best game ever, it actually wasnt his best game performance wise

i still cant believe he got 4.5, that was crazy

im so proud of my boy, willie

he really deserved it, and the recognition he received

Willie is the coolest of the cool, that's all there is to say. The way he's gone from underachiever to team leader and borderline hall of famer is very impressive and he does it in a quiet, nonchalant way. I can't say he's my favorite Patriot as there's so much competition from Brady, Bruschi, Rodney, etc, but Willie is a seriously kick ass player and person.

I for one would LOVE Willie to get to the Hall but I consider it somewhat of a longshot. He has only been to a I think 2 pro bowls (not that that matters to Pats, but probably does to HOF voters) and unfortunately got hit hard by the injury bug in the middle of his career.
His # should certainly be retired by the pats when it is all said and done.

JoeSixPat said:
If I may also make a suggestion, it would be nice to have a descriptive title for these threads to avoid duplication

Thread titles like

"Mangini"

and

"Willie McGinest"

and

"Tom Brady"

and

"New England Patriots"

could probably benefit from being a bit more descriptive and might avoid duplicate threads

Well, EXCUUUUUSE US.

I started a different Willie because it was a different Willie subject.

Please forgive me.

workhorse said:
A couple of things...

One, heck of a game.

I was thinking the same thing on that I said to my brother "Wow, he's lucky he didn't get a penalty"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News