PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Willie McGinest

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEM said:
I can still remember the NFL daft in 1994.

I was sitting in my living room with who was about to become my third wife. We had met just two months ago. She moved in with me after two weeks and we were married in a few months.......She is from Taunton.

Anyway, she was not into sports very much, including football.

And I had told her that I wasn't either, not really intosports to much. :D

So, there we are, sitting on the couch, watching the draft, which she thought was a pretty weird thing to begin with, and the Pats pick came up and they were on the clock.

And there I was, sitting there, and yelling at the TV...."McGinest.....McGinest.....McGinest....Pick Willie, Willie, Willie."

She thought I had eaten some bad chinese food, or something. :D

ANyway, here comes Tagliabue...and he reads the pick....

"The New England Patriots select University Of Souuthern California Willie McGinest"

And I went bonkers, jumping out of my seat as if had just won the powerball, hands in the air and let out another chorus of "Yes, Yes, Yes...McGinest, McGinest, McGinest..."

We are still mrried and now she is a fan....and even comes to the VINE on occassion...(sometimes she can not due to illness lshe has)

But, I wanted Willie, got Willie, and have never been sorry...He has been my favorite player since his draft, and if he does not get pro bowl recognition, there should be an investigation. And number 55 should be retired.

Thank you for that!

willie fine wine Mcginest, he keeps getting better as he ages.

I remember referring to Mcginist as "one eyed" Wille for years after a game in Buffalo back in 96. He had been poked in the eye early in the 2nd half and the thing was was nearly swollen shut by the 4th quarter. He ended up having one hell of a game and ended up sealing the game with an intereception for a TD. My friend and I cracked up all game screaming "Way to go One eyed Willy!! We probably had a few too many lol. You should of heard us going balistic at the end of the game when he ran it back.

I ended up meeting Willie and Chris Slade at a scrimmage at the 49ers a year later. They came up to us during pregame warmups and was able to get a hand shake. I'm telling you, this guy really admires the fans of New England and has always appreciated our support. He is as real as they come.

Willie is a loyal and true Patriot, thru and thru. A true class act, on and off the feild. It's great to see him have that kind of a game at this stage of his career. He looks like he could still be a force for the next 2 or 3 years.

If so, he should definately expect the call from the hall and to see his # retired. It would be so well deserved. He is one of the most generous guys off the feild with his time and resources. A guy who truly appreciates how blessed he has been.

We've been lucky to have him for all these years.

OhExaulted1 said:
We've been lucky to have him for all these years.

you can say that again

Willie played awesome......It was nice to see him with his smile back on again out their on the field.....He was my vote for MVP of the night!!!!

McGinest,Vrabel and Colvin are a solid trio who should keep the defense ranked near the top of the league IMPO!! Lets get Denver now!!!! :rocker:

club 55 and the HOF

kptmorgan04 said:
I for one would LOVE Willie to get to the Hall but I consider it somewhat of a longshot. He has only been to a I think 2 pro bowls (not that that matters to Pats, but probably does to HOF voters) and unfortunately got hit hard by the injury bug in the middle of his career.
His # should certainly be retired by the pats when it is all said and done.
that business about clubbing...elite players get cut some slack by officials, whether it's manny on ball/strike calls, or lebron taking 4 steps going down the lane, or jerry rice pushing a DB out of the way.
IMHO willie ray was trying to grab hold of a piece of byron, but was using the hand with the cast. so he couldn't grab anything. officials believed, as i did, that he wasn't going for the head but was trying to grab the uniform. boes ty warren get that call? absolutely not. probably only 3-4 corner players in the nfl get that call. there was a time when patriots players, even andre tippett, NEVER got that call. so sit back and enjoy it, folks.

i think so far a HOF honor is a longshot. if a vote were taken this spring he'd get in, but since the vote is taken 5 years from now, i don't know. monstrous performances in the rest of the playoffs will certainly help. BTW i have this feeling that willie has some special performances in store.
he had about 5 years when he couldn't stay on the field, and then a couple more years where the team sucked (thanks, pete carroll). so he's become McGINEST only during the BB era.
is he worthy? well, is luis tiant worthy? is jim rice worthy? is maurice lucas? how about bernard king? what about david (the Admiral Robinson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes