Will We See Mankins Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Will We See Mankins Soon?
By: Ian Logue

Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald had an interesting blog entry this afternoon on Patriots guard Logan Mankins, who continues to hold out due to a contract dispute....

Dale Arnold mentioned something about this too, I just caught the tail end of it. He must have got his info from you Ian :D

It's funny how Mankins is alluding the media and the fans. Logan Mankins is sitting at home watching the Patriots on TV go 3-1, watching Randy Moss be traded to the Vikings, and HOLDING OUT! I know the situation between Moss and Mankins are different but at LEAST Moss was playing his contract out, Mankins didn't even want to sign his tender. Now I am not bashing Mankins because it's more the organization's fault than his but lets put things this way, How is our line holding up without Mankins? Surprisingly well. If Mankins were there would he make it better? Absolutely. Has or do YOU think our O-Line will cost us games? Most likely not. Now, how was our offense playing with Randy Moss? Consistent and putting up points. How do you think our offense will look without Moss? Average? Only time will tell. Will it cost us games? Most likely. Does losing Moss make our offense worse? Absolutely.

Now people NEED to understand that losing Moss DOES NOT make this team any better, thats a FACT, BUT we still possess the ability to win football games. Losing a HOF player is NEVER good, BUT that doesn't mean the team is giving up on the season.

Now people NEED to understand that losing Moss DOES NOT make this team any better, thats a FACT, BUT we still possess the ability to win football games. Losing a HOF player is NEVER good, BUT that doesn't mean the team is giving up on the season.

Look, I LOVED having Randy on this team and have been saying for a while that they should extend him 3 years. But even I knew that extending him 3 years would mean that you would only get 2 years before he started crying again.

A happy Randy would translate to 75+ catches and 12+ TD's. But a disgruntled Randy will also result in 60+ catches and 10+ TD's but also more picks for Brady (trying to force ball to satisfy Randy) and a year of the young players seeing the team cave to a talented player which would mean future headaches. Bottom line, Randy's talent is unquestionable but his value to this team is nothing if he's not happy here. Once team decided they weren't going to give him an extension (which I think is valid to question) then the right move was o trade him.

Randy Moss was precisely calculating in the way that he dealt with his contract situation. With that said, he was much more of a contributor than Logan. Most people will castigate Randy (deservedly so) and most people will admire Logan's stance as honorable. What a load of crap...

Look, I LOVED having Randy on this team and have been saying for a while that they should extend him 3 years. But even I knew that extending him 3 years would mean that you would only get 2 years before he started crying again.

A happy Randy would translate to 75+ catches and 12+ TD's. But a disgruntled Randy will also result in 60+ catches and 10+ TD's but also more picks for Brady (trying to force ball to satisfy Randy) and a year of the young players seeing the team cave to a talented player which would mean future headaches. Bottom line, Randy's talent is unquestionable but his value to this team is nothing if he's not happy here. Once team decided they weren't going to give him an extension (which I think is valid to question) then the right move was o trade him.

I think this Lockout played a BIG role in this trade, Randy wants a BIG contract extension after this year, and to be honest he deserves it. What he has done for this organization over the past 3 years, in 2007 him and Brady connected with EVERYTHING, in 2008 he lost his star QB and was forced to play with a QB that had never even started a game since high school. Then in 2009 he had to play with a recuperating Brady that was coming back from one of the worst injuries of the game, then FINALLY, when we have a HEALTHY Brady, a HEALTHY Moss, we decide to balance our offense and trade Moss. I agree with you that if he was not happy the trade him but he was clearly a leader in the locker room, may no have put up truly spectacular numbers but still great numbers by the end of the season. THEN at the END of the SEASON decide whether to bring him back or not.

I guess I am still the only one that believes that in 2011 there will either be (a) a lockout; (b) football under the rules of a second uncapped year, in which players will need five years service time to become an unrestricted free agent (as opposed to the six that was needed in 2010); or (c) there will be a new CBA, and there's no way the NFLPA will agree to making players wait six years to become an unrestricted free agent.

Time will tell, but in my opinion espn's Chris Mortensen is incorrect in asserting Mankins needs another accrued year of service, and much of the rest of the media is simply repeating and rephrasing his comments. I believe Mankins can become an unrestricted free agent next spring without playing a single NFL game this year.

I think this Lockout played a BIG role in this trade, Randy wants a BIG contract extension after this year, and to be honest he deserves it. What he has done for this organization over the past 3 years, in 2007 him and Brady connected with EVERYTHING, in 2008 he lost his star QB and was forced to play with a QB that had never even started a game since high school. Then in 2009 he had to play with a recuperating Brady that was coming back from one of the worst injuries of the game, then FINALLY, when we have a HEALTHY Brady, a HEALTHY Moss, we decide to balance our offense and trade Moss. I agree with you that if he was not happy the trade him but he was clearly a leader in the locker room, may no have put up truly spectacular numbers but still great numbers by the end of the season. THEN at the END of the SEASON decide whether to bring him back or not.
I can't agree with the idea of paying players for past performance. Unfortunately this is a business and in order to be successful you need to pay players for projected performance. Sure, some of that projection is based on past performance, but some is also based on age and how players at that position have typically performed (and started to drop off) with age. If compensation was simply based on past performance then Troy Brown, Tedy Bruschi and Rodney Harrison would have been making double, triple, or quadruple what they did in their final contracts - and the team would have suffered as a result.

I'm not happy to see Moss traded, but I can also understand given his age, what he is probably looking to get - per year, signing bonus, and length of contract. Then add in the fact we don't know what the new cap will be, or if there will even be football next year, and I can understand why they were reluctant to give him a new contract - though I do believe the situation could have and should have been handled better by both sides.

Mankins will be back week 10 when he has to because he needs the time in to become a FA.
No other reason that I can think of.

Mankins will be back week 10 when he has to because he needs the time in to become a FA.
No other reason that I can think of.

See post #8.

Mankins would just ruin the party now ... the broom is out and it is refreshing.

I really could care less. As far as I'm concerned the Mankins era is over. Time to move on. I'm not sure I want to see him play another down in a NE uni, even if he does come back in w10

I don't care if he ever comes back.
I really don't.

Oct. 9 12:30pm

Patriots LG Logan Mankins' agent said that his client may return in 2010.

Said agent Frank Bauer, "Who knows? He may (sign). He may not. You may see him tomorrow. It is what it is. Whatever happens, happens. Whatever falls, I’m always ready." Speculation has arisen that the team would use the $4 million freed up by the Randy Moss trade to sign Mankins.

>> This agent is such a putz.. If Mankins have 1/2 a brain, he'd tell him to take a hike..

A "healthy Moss" is not the same thing as "2007 Moss."

If that's what we were getting—and I sorely wish it were—I would be beyond angry that the Patriots traded Moss.

But 2010 Moss != 2007 Moss. Sure, he would have made some more highlight reel-worthy catches, but not enough, IMO, to justify $8M+/yr.

I'm not paying guys for what they've done. Sorry! This is how you become the Raiders or Redskins. I want our management to pay for what the player will do!
3 years for Moss after this season would be terrible money spent. End of story!

I guess I am still the only one that believes that in 2011 there will either be (a) a lockout; (b) football under the rules of a second uncapped year, in which players will need five years service time to become an unrestricted free agent (as opposed to the six that was needed in 2010); or (c) there will be a new CBA, and there's no way the NFLPA will agree to making players wait six years to become an unrestricted free agent.

Time will tell, but in my opinion espn's Chris Mortensen is incorrect in asserting Mankins needs another accrued year of service, and much of the rest of the media is simply repeating and rephrasing his comments. I believe Mankins can become an unrestricted free agent next spring without playing a single NFL game this year.

No agent worth his $$ would let his client take that risk. At minimum, he will appear wk10 to accrue his year. You may very well be right, but why would he expose himself to the risk that the 6th year is needed?

I don't want to see anyone who smeared my team/owner playing for my team. :snob:

>> This agent is such a putz.. If Mankins have 1/2 a brain, he'd tell him to take a hike..

Pretty much. Can't remember a negotiation that was handled worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back