PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Pats stand pat at wide receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't the Pats have a couple of WR's on their PS?

Buddy Farnham and Darnell Jenkins ?

Neither is really tall...but I remember Jenkin's speed from some preseaon game last season I think...

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Patriots' passing game based on receivers reading the defensive alignment, and then running a route based on what they see - as opposed to simply running a route?

I get the feeling that with the Patriots offense there is such a high need for the receivers and quarterback to be on the same page that without a full offseason to integrate, get the timing down and get on the same page that the likelihood of bringing in a free agent wide receiver is minimal. For example, remember when BB acquired - and then cut - first Greg Lewis and then Joey Galloway? Fans and media were all clamoring for the Pats to sign another WR, but at that point it was too late to get the system and the timing down.

Frankly I would be surprised if the Pats went after a free agent wide receiver that was anything more than camp fodder.

A guy like Rice, who's young and would need a multi-year deal, is being signed for more than 2011. You go forward with the understanding that integrating him fully into the system will take time, particularly under the circumstances.

I think that the Patriots will, however I think they are very much so in need of another outside receiver. I don't believe in Tate as anything more than a kickoff returner as he takes time to hit his gear. Too much for a receiver who can't win with strength and hand technique. I also think he is fooled by NFL level coverages and in an option route system that is a major issue. Price may very well develop, but I view him as being much better playing from off the line. I think he is the eventual successor to Branch at the z. Branch is very much so limited to playing off the line where he can utilize his agility and moves to defeat press. If he plays on the line, corners can get their hands on him and disrupt the entire play. As evidenced for a while now if you can jam the Pats on the outside and flood the interior you shut down the passing offense. I think the basic need is a guy who can play the x and win on the line. The question from there is do you want a guy who can straight up win off the line, or a shiftier option route guy. It's rare to find that blend. Outside of trading Brady for Andre Johnson you're going to have chose.

Malcom Floyd best represents the available "guy who can defeat press". He's too long to have the necessary agility to run digs and the like, but he can get off the press and even if locked down can win with body positioning. It's a nice asset to have, especially with a guy as accurate as Brady pulling the trigger. He can absolutely win against more physical corners and gives an open target to the outside if they take away Branch. This will open up the defense and make life easier for the slots and te's. It does have it's disadvantages, though. You sacrifice a lot of complexity and versatility in exchange for what is best deemed a situational tool with nice goal line upside. It simplifies things for the defense and that detracts from the Patriots primary advantage of ambiguity.

If you want a scheme fit, Ocho is your guy. Great footwork, veteran moves, tremendous understanding of coverages. Then again, he can at times get locked down coming off the line and played the z last year when they had a prototypical x in Owens. He's not necessarily a liability against the jam, and does a good job with his hand fighting. He's also deceptively strong when he wants to be.

Like anything else it's a tradeoff. If the call was mine to make I would go make a deal for Ocho.

They just need a tall guy..hopefully above 6'1 if they get one..who can go up and get it in the endzone/stretch the field. Whether it be Chad Ocho or bringing Moss back

I'd take Ocho over Tate. It looks like they will cut him and we won't have to give a pick:)

They just need a tall guy..hopefully above 6'1 if they get one..who can go up and get it in the endzone/stretch the field. Whether it be Chad Ocho or bringing Moss back

Moss is gone and he's not coming back, good riddance.

They've got Hernandez for the tall man routine - and Hernandez can stretch the field a bit too... much more so than Ocho can at this point in his career.

But I think Belichick would love to give Brady a deep weapon that keeps defenses further back

Whether he can get one in this bizarre off-season is another question.

It's not the end of the world for the Patriots if they don't - but they need someone to step up

Aside from that, expect BB to bring in competition at WR and every position he can. He love's competition. Nothing's changed about that.

I would like Rice..but thats not happening

If you want a scheme fit, Ocho is your guy. Great footwork, veteran moves, tremendous understanding of coverages. Then again, he can at times get locked down coming off the line and played the z last year when they had a prototypical x in Owens. He's not necessarily a liability against the jam, and does a good job with his hand fighting. He's also deceptively strong when he wants to be.

Like anything else it's a tradeoff. If the call was mine to make I would go make a deal for Ocho.

I've been on the "trade Welker, sign Chad Johnson" bandwagon for a while. I love Welker, but the Pats need outside receivers in their 2TE offense, not a slot receiver.

Of course, I'd only sign him if he were willing to end all the antics, and step 1 would be changing his name back.

Last edited:
if you just look at the WR's they are not mind blowing on paper but the receiving core as a whole is pretty good and more then a nuff fire power to win a superbowl IMO

I've been on the "trade Welker, sign Chad Johnson" bandwagon for a while. I love Welker, but the Pats need outside receivers in their 2TE offense, not a slot receiver.

Of course, I'd only sign him if he were willing to end all the antics, and step 1 would be changing his name back.

Surprised to hear your feelings about Welker, Sciz--especially coming from you.

I think that his ability to read/react to defenses + his overall chemistry with Brady are what keeps this offense moving.

I think the BAL playoff loss was a prime example of 'some' of the problems that the offense faced without him.

He's just the 'go-to' guy, and NO--I don't think that Edelman would simply come in and take over his role with no apparent dropoff. They may both be white and shifty slotguys, but they have many differences.

If the Pats can run the ball well enough in their power schemes when teams "know" they're going to run, then I have no qualms with the status quo; however, I don't think this will be the case. If they can grab someone else out there, I wouldn't mind Johnson, as Jay mentioned. I don't think he has much market value now, so he should be had at a reasonable price. That being said, the Bengals might be reluctant to relinquish the player despite his public outcries and faceslapping of all things named Marvin Lewis (so he should keep it up :D). The way they're treating Palmer leads me to think that Johnson will get the same unreasonable treatment. And by Clayton's numbers, the Bengals are well below the cap, so they have no need to jettison him and his contract. Maybe he could up his antics to comical levels and somehow embarrass the owner.

I would also like Santana Moss, if he could somehow pass under the radar of teams out there. Chicago was rumored to be interested (or at least speculated to be a good fit there), and they're well below the cap, in need of a small spending spree. I don't know if we'll be able to grab him at our asking price.

Last edited:
I don't see the Pats going after any big time WR's in FA this year. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on someone like Mike Sims-Walker, but I think a more realistic option would be bringing back Donte Stallworth. He knows the system, is cheap and should fit well in the locker room. My ideal scenerio would be to sign a vet WR as well as UDFA Terrence Tolliver, then have the Saints tank the season and put us in a position to draft Alshon Jeffery next year.

If they sign Santonio Moss, I hope he is number 81 so I can get some more use out of this jersey.

I think there are 3 options that are cheap guys that could fit the need for a bigger receiver to go up against the Antonio Cromartie big strong DB's.

Roy Williams-most costly
Chad Johnson-biggest headache
Donte Stallworth-most likely to not give you much

1) I agree that getting past the Jets is important, they hve had our number the past two years, and I think personnel is a small part of it. I didn't like the futile drives in the second half. I assume the running game revamp is aimed at this issue.

2) I think the slot is a bit of an issue, WWW is miraculous but he is getting worn down and WWMM seems to have regressed a bit. Problem is developing a talent like WWW is unpredictable.

3) I also think the x is a weakness barring further growth by Tate or Price. However, signing a Chad Johnson or Sidney Rice could hinder their development at a high cost, so I don't see that happening.

4) I don't see any of the top 5 as being vulnerable now given the extraordinary cap management at the position combined with a lack of other viable options.

5) I could see Farnham or Davis sticking as a sometime 6th receiver to back up Branch.

Therefore I would expect cheap competition to be brought in at all 3 WR positions. If a FA of stature is brought in I assume it would be at X, and would signify the need to upgrade Tate/Price. Otherwise they have an adequate to good, valuable WR core.

3) I also think the x is a weakness barring further growth by Tate or Price. However, signing a Chad Johnson or Sidney Rice could hinder their development at a high cost, so I don't see that happening.

This is going to sound like I'm shilling for Rice, because I've been suggesting the team go after him, but I mean it as a serious question:

While Tate and Price are only 23 years old, Rice is only 24. That being the case, why would we really care if he hindered the growth of Tate/Price?

This is going to sound like I'm shilling for Rice, because I've been suggesting the team go after him, but I mean it as a serious question:

While Tate and Price are only 23 years old, Rice is only 24. That being the case, why would we really care if he hindered the growth of Tate/Price?

Weird.

I agree with this completely.

Rice might be too expensive but if you shell out for him he starts for you on the outside every day he's healthy for the next six years and Tate/Price are competing for PT as backups.

While your thought is certainly reasonable Triumph, I think many here have undervalued Welker's importance to the offense, particularly since the inception of Edelman.

I see Edelman as having many of the same good qualities as Welker, and I think he very well could be a star (although maybe it won't be for the NEP), but I do NOT agree with those who think that Edelman could come in and do all of the same things.

The chemistry/timing/route running/checkdowns/audibles between Brady/Welker is unparalleled, and Welker is still the main part to this offense in my opinion. He is undoubtedly Brady's go-to guy, and it should remain that way.

I think there's a very good chance that Wes can be re-upped at a reasonable cost, which is very instrumental to our success.

I basically agree with everything you say, but what if NE is changing gears with its 2011 offense and relying more on the run game and less on the slot WR? We could see a whole different Pats offense this year.

Also, could Woodhead play the slot? I think he very well could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft