PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Reche Caldwell break out this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdo5

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I've been wondering this ever since we picked him up during free agency. Most everyone said he was mediocore to alright as a reciever, and was a dissapointment especially after he came out of college as a round 2 pick. But reading some of the minicamp stuff, supposedly he was making some great great catches. Brady said he was really impressed by him. I am really starting to anticipate seeing this guy playing for us and how he does...

i hear differently..they said he was ready for a breakout season till he got hurt..really improved from rookie season in catching..he makes a lot of great catches..fumbles too much though in costly situations..hes very fast..only dissapointment was he couldnt stay healthy and he will do really good in my opinion..hes made Bradyand BB happy thus far..hes worked hard..he looks healthy and in good shape..CJ will really need to do his best to beat out Caldwell

Last edited:
I firmly believe one of Caldwell/Jackson will be as good as Givens and the other will be better than Andre Davis (I know, big prediction there). Caldwell has the same physical attributes as Givens, he just has to stay healthy and hold onto the ball - it should be noted that Givens fumbled several times over the past few years but either we recovered or replay had his knee down just before the fumble.

With Watson looking like he's about to break out big time, one Branch gets his butt in camp the receiving corps should be very strong.

Many pundits suggest that Givens is irreplaceable considering the cast of characters currently on the Pats roster. This is hooey. What Givens brought during the playoffs- toughness, clutch play (usually), and an attitude- may be hard to replace, but his regular season numbers were very average. With afew years under his belt, a new situation and environment, lowered expectations, and the knowledge of how to keep his body healthy, I feel comfortable with Reche at the #2, and if he keeps himself off the injured list, I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds Givens' pedestrian numbers.

Last edited:
Doesn't everyone look great in camp?
CAldwell is a solid WR but he's never going to be great. With Brady t probably doesn't matter. He doesn't need a TO or Moss to complete passes. I don't even think Branch is all that good and would be crazy to push the holdout very far. . Give Brady a guy with good hands and that runs crisp routes and he will be successful. Is Caldwell that guy? I'll believe it when I see it on the field.

Kdo5 said:
Will Reche Caldwell have a break out this year?

That's a bit like asking if we are going to win the SB this year. Almost everyone is going to say yes.

Seymour93 said:
That's a bit like asking if we are going to win the SB this year. Almost everyone is going to say yes.
Well I shouldnt have said "Will he" more like "Whats your opinion and expectation of him..."

Seymour93 said:
It depends what you mean. He won't break out and be a great WR. But if break out means staying healthy and catching 50 passes (about 4 a game) then it's wholly reasonable unless Jackson beats him out for the #2 WR.

Kdo5 said:
Well I shouldnt have said "Will he" more like "Whats your opinion and expectation of him..."

Going by offseason reports I think we'll all come up with the same answer as well, that answer is a solid #2 WR, maybe 700 total yards. I'm expecting him to match Given's production basically. However with the additions of Jackson and Thomas, Caldwell may not need to do as much.

Mu hunch is...

he'll perform some what less than Givens and more than Troy Brown.

Seymour93 said:
However with the additions of Jackson and Thomas, Caldwell may not need to do as much.
Plus I think Watson is the guy who will break out and they'll almost certainly run more with Dillon and Maroney.

When it comes to Reche, I'm cautiuosly optimistic.

BelichickFan said:
I firmly believe one of Caldwell/Jackson will be as good as Givens and the other will be better than Andre Davis
Hard to argue with that. Assuming Branch and Brown still play, we only need to have Bam Childress do better than Tim Dwight and we will have a solid improvement over last year.

ClosingTime said:
Doesn't everyone look great in camp?
Obviously you never saw David Terrell in camp...

I didn't see him with my own eyes no, but there were a lot of glowing articles about him in camp and his comradarie with Brady.

I guess if being a #2a or #2b wide-out for the Pats is considered a 'Breakout', then yes, Reche is going to breakout.

Nobody really breaks out in a spread offense like this, it seems. But he will contribute more than expected, I think, and that alone could get him a bigger contract with the Redskins in a couple years.

ClosingTime said:
I didn't see him with my own eyes no, but there were a lot of glowing articles about him in camp and his comradarie with Brady.
And all the reporters saying he looked slow. Why don't you go back to your Squealer board ?

I'm actually going to go back on my comment because I have this feeling that Chad Jackson will force himself into the lineup preventing Caldwell from being more than the #3 WR.

Caldwell won't need to be "off-the-charts" better than he was in last few years because the Patriots will be running the ball effectively...... Which will open up lots of free space in the secondary... I think Brady will be passing for a lot less yards than last years numbers...... If Corey is healthy and running his usual punishing style and Maroney shows up as our version of lightning, Caldwell just needs to be open and he'll get 50 -60 effective catches......:rocker:

Last edited by a moderator:
I look to past performance when setting my expecations for other players and while there are some bright spots in Caldwell's resume, calling the 2nd round pick's statistics mediocre is actually being kind.

Although some felt that we were generally set at #2 WR with Caldwell, expecting him to more than double past production seemed like a pretty shaky foundation on which to base your team offense, which is why I advocated strongly for the drafting of Jackson.

But IF Caldwell can stay healthy and IF he can motivate himself to finally live up to his potential - we've got the steal of the offseason on our hands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore