PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Mayo require surgery? 3rd degree and all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howzit from Hawaii..first post..was reading through some stuff..this could be totally unrelated..and of course is pure speculation, but i found this to be an interesting article on platelet rich plasma therapy and injuries..

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sports/17blood.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

"The technique played its most glaring role with Mr. Ward, a receiver who left that Baltimore game in the first quarter with a sprain of the medial collateral ligament in his right knee. The next day, he was injected with a form of PRP therapy called autologous conditioned plasma, which features different proportions of platelets and other cells. Along with strenuous rehabilitation and hyperbaric oxygen therapy, Ward recovered enough to make two catches in the Super Bowl, in which the Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals.

“I was next in line, the next guinea pig,” Mr. Ward said, referring to Mr. Polamalu’s experience with platelet-rich plasma. “I think it really helped me. The injury that I had was a severe injury, maybe a four- or six-week injury. In order for me to go out there and play in two weeks, I don’t think anyone with a grade-2 M.C.L. sprain gets back that fast.”

:welcome:

Nice post :)

How does a ligament "heal completely" if the two completely torn and separated parts aren't stitched or glued together?

Howzit from Hawaii..first post..was reading through some stuff..this could be totally unrelated..and of course is pure speculation, but i found this to be an interesting article on platelet rich plasma therapy and injuries..

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sports/17blood.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

"The technique played its most glaring role with Mr. Ward, a receiver who left that Baltimore game in the first quarter with a sprain of the medial collateral ligament in his right knee. The next day, he was injected with a form of PRP therapy called autologous conditioned plasma, which features different proportions of platelets and other cells. Along with strenuous rehabilitation and hyperbaric oxygen therapy, Ward recovered enough to make two catches in the Super Bowl, in which the Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals.

“I was next in line, the next guinea pig,” Mr. Ward said, referring to Mr. Polamalu’s experience with platelet-rich plasma. “I think it really helped me. The injury that I had was a severe injury, maybe a four- or six-week injury. In order for me to go out there and play in two weeks, I don’t think anyone with a grade-2 M.C.L. sprain gets back that fast.”

Interesting article - I think that is Brady's surgeon who is quoted as having worked on Saito (who has looked OK for the Sox this year). I trust the Pats will get good medical advice on this.

I think one factor that is often overlooked is the longer a player is out is the longer it takes for them to get back to game speed. I noticed that when Mayo was observed with the brace on his leg he was with the strength and conditioning coach. Keeping him as close to playing shape as they can while he recovers will be important.

How does a ligament "heal completely" if the two completely torn and separated parts aren't stitched or glued together?

They scar over. Thats why they start getting the knee in motion as soon as possible to prevent more scar tissue from forming.

Last edited:
They scar over. Thats why they start getting the knee in motion as soon as possible to prevent more scar tissue from forming.

That is correct. I tore my ACL, MCL and PCL in a college football game and scar tissue was one of many issues the doctors discussed with me.

The body grafts them together. Scar tissue for instance grows around and the two pieces become grafted. Now, I don't know if this is how it happens with ACLs, but I've had a couple grafts done, and what came apart was not stiched together, stapled or glued.

That is correct. I tore my ACL, MCL and PCL in a college football game and scar tissue was one of many issues the doctors discussed with me.

Ouch...I grimaced just reading about it.

Let's face it, folks: if Mayo is out until Thanksgiving - or longer, then we are completely screwed, and will be in serious danger of "accomplishing" something never before done in the Belichick era - miss the POs 2 straight years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back