PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Eugene Wilson be a starting safety in Week 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the answer turns out to be, this is an extremely important thread. Safety is a top need of ours IF Wilson is not the starter. If we get the Wilson of 2004, then we're in dang good shape. There was something about the way Wilson and Rodney complemented each other. EW hasn't been the same in two years --- it's bizarre how someone could look so good and then so bad a year or two later. Remember when Wilson was the better of the two rookie finds and Samuel #2?

I was a proponent of moving Geno to CB (his natural position) with Hobbs and relegating Samuel to Nickel during TC last year. I have a soft spot for Hawk because he actually does this thing called TACKLING! Its amazing what you can acomplish when you wrap your arms around someone rather than just throwing a shoulder at him, hoping to take his legs out. :rolleyes:

I still think he would be a better CB than Safety with all things equal (I understand that I am in the minority on this one). But, he is a very effective FS when he his paired with a very good SS, because he essentially becomes a CB that covers the middle of the field. But when he is asked to be effective against the run and cover from the safety spot he is weak.

You're not in the minority about switching him to corner. I said this days ago. He will start the season at safety, then he will get switched to corner. Michael Griffin will then play FS. . . . .(I hope.)

I couldn't even tell you if he was on the team most of last year and 2005. Does he have a chronic injury?

I couldn't really tell you where he could play based on his play. We've had a journeyman CB playing safety for the last year and a half.

I say we go safety or cornerback high in the draft no matter what.

If wilson starts,he is going to have to earn it...No doubt about it...I think a safety is going to be on the high side of the draft....

If wilson starts,he is going to have to earn it...No doubt about it...I think a safety is going to be on the high side of the draft....

I used to like the guy and he obviously has excellent flexibility, so that's not a problem.

I just haven't seen anything from the guy in so long, I don't know what's going on.

Either he can't play anymore, or he could step in and start at either of two positions.

That's strange.

Whatever the answer turns out to be, this is an extremely important thread. Safety is a top need of ours IF Wilson is not the starter. If we get the Wilson of 2004, then we're in dang good shape. There was something about the way Wilson and Rodney complemented each other. EW hasn't been the same in two years --- it's bizarre how someone could look so good and then so bad a year or two later. Remember when Wilson was the better of the two rookie finds and Samuel #2?

I know what you mean. In fact, in 2004 Wilson led the Patriots in interceptions. Wison could deliver a hit too, so between he and Rodney we had one of the most intimidating safety tandems in the league. Wilson hasn't been that dominating presence the past two seasons.

Eugene Wilson stats the past two seasons....

Games: 20
Interceptions: 1 (vs. New Orleans Saints 2005)
Sacks: 0
Fumble Recoveries: 1

Not exactly play maker stats, which is what we criticized Milloy for in 2002.

Eugene Wilson stats the past two seasons....

Games: 20
Interceptions: 1 (vs. New Orleans Saints 2005)
Sacks: 0
Fumble Recoveries: 1

Not exactly play maker stats, which is what we criticized Milloy for in 2002.

please don't misconstrue my comments as being anti-Eugene. In fact, I hope that he rebounds well to play like he did in 2003/2004. I just realize that he may not be a lock to be the starter.

Frankly I hope he doesn't start because the Patriots draft, get in FA(not likely) or clone Ed Reed -:) I have a lot of doubts Rodney can come back and be the player he was in 2003-4. Wilson hasn't played as well as he looked like he might his 1st 2 years in a couplke of years. I would really like to see the Patriots aquire a top notch, makes plays all over the field kind of safety.

Wilson could start as a FS, SS, or CB. As others have pointed out, Safety is an extremely important position for the Pats to fill. The question marks surrounding Wilson being out last season and Harrison's age, there is a need for a turnover now or within the next season with impending free agency. Obtaining an immediate contributor by drafting a strong successor is very important considering the choices the team has in the upcoming draft.

Last edited:
We'll if I was a betting man.> I would put money that he is starting week 1. But I think that could quickly change, especially if they draft a Safety early..

Wilsons play has gone down hill ever since the last SB.. Maybe the wear and tear of playing physical over the middle is to much for him.
Could he switch back to corner.. Who really knows.. BB might not even know.. But one thing is for sure... The future is else where for our safety spot.. EW is not the answer long term..

Cousin,
I agree with everything you have said. Wilson has been digressing for the last couple of years even before the injuries. When Harrison went down, instead of taking over the leadership of the DB's, he looked lost.
One way or the other we have to prepare for LWR (life without Rodney) and get someone to step in right now and learn while Harrison can show him the ropes. Wilson cannot do that.
Hawkins was a stop gap.
Seems that Landry is the best fit to draft, but won't be there. The word on Nelson is that he is not that good of tackler and Merriweather is too small for an NFL safety. Hell, Sanders is 5' 10" and 205, and he was too short and got pushed around.
Oh well. You can say one thing about Sanders, he might have been too short, couldn't cover my mother-in-law (see Colts game) and got moved easily.....But he wasn't that good either!
The day one draft guy I like is this kid from Utah who can play S, CB, LB, RB, and holder. Eric Weddle is a perfect BB sort who might last until the third round or Sabby Piscatelli of Oregon St. who is a monster with speed who will last until then as well.
Idea! Wilson is in his last year of contract and the Bears need a safety. The could also use a good DE backup like say....Marquis Hill. What do you think about this deal. Hill, Wilson and one of our #1's for Briggs and their early #2 (37?)they got from swapping with the J...E...T...S!
I think Briggs could play ILB, he' young and what a cast around him. Why wouldn't he want to play with this D?
DW Toys

im not so sure
hawkins was starting to get favored over geno before he even got hurt
and hawk wasnt exactly a ball hawk
if we draft a safety high, i wouldnt be all that surprised to see him the starter (reggie nelson, please oh please oh please), as geno started at safety his rookie yr

That is absolutely untrue. Geno was always the starter when healthy.

IMO, unless we draft an elite safety high (perhaps in spite of, depending on the learning curve), Geno will start next season. He's a good player when he doesn't have a revolving door next to him.

At SS, Rodney's near the end. I could see him in on running downs but I also see Sanders expanding his PT. Contrary to DWToys' post, Sanders played quite well last year (and would be even better with a better FS).

Last edited:
If healthy, Wilson will probably start. He will also have a first

round draft pick poised to take over if Wilson screws up.

Seemed to me that Geno was finding his form again just before he went down for the year. Also if I remember rightly, due to Rodney not being 100% Geno was being asked to play closer to the LOS than in previous years, and was looking good doing it.

Of all the non-Rodney Harrison options at safety, Wilson seems to me to be the only one who is equally as effective vs both the run and the pass. That might give him a slight edge,

Last edited:
I was with you until you cooked up that weird trade for Briggs. It won't work because of the $$$. Briggs wants to get PAID and we won't be able to give Briggs his RESPECT (read CASH) and sign our rookies at the same time. Plus on top of that you want to convert him into an ILB when Briggs has made it clear he prefers to be an OLB in a 4-3 system not a 3-4, no less an ILB.

I think Wilson will be a starting safety in 2007 but he can be replaced and better not get complacent about his job.

Cousin,
I agree with everything you have said. Wilson has been digressing for the last couple of years even before the injuries. When Harrison went down, instead of taking over the leadership of the DB's, he looked lost.
One way or the other we have to prepare for LWR (life without Rodney) and get someone to step in right now and learn while Harrison can show him the ropes. Wilson cannot do that.
Hawkins was a stop gap.
Seems that Landry is the best fit to draft, but won't be there. The word on Nelson is that he is not that good of tackler and Merriweather is too small for an NFL safety. Hell, Sanders is 5' 10" and 205, and he was too short and got pushed around.
Oh well. You can say one thing about Sanders, he might have been too short, couldn't cover my mother-in-law (see Colts game) and got moved easily.....But he wasn't that good either!
The day one draft guy I like is this kid from Utah who can play S, CB, LB, RB, and holder. Eric Weddle is a perfect BB sort who might last until the third round or Sabby Piscatelli of Oregon St. who is a monster with speed who will last until then as well.
Idea! Wilson is in his last year of contract and the Bears need a safety. The could also use a good DE backup like say....Marquis Hill. What do you think about this deal. Hill, Wilson and one of our #1's for Briggs and their early #2 (37?)they got from swapping with the J...E...T...S!
I think Briggs could play ILB, he' young and what a cast around him. Why wouldn't he want to play with this D?
DW Toys

I highly doubt there is a sfaety in the draft who would beat Geno out this year. Not in a complicated defense like the Pats run. Highly doubt it.

Wilson could start as a FS, SS, or CB. As others have pointed out, Safety is an extremely important position for the Pats to fill. The question marks surrounding Wilson being out last season and Harrison's age, there is a need for a turnover now or within the next season with impending free agency. Obtaining an immediate contributor by drafting a strong successor is very important considering the choices the team has in the upcoming draft.

Wilson has proven that he can't play SS. See the Hawkins signing 2005.

Cousin,
Hawkins was a stop gap.
DW Toys

I think you have several things quite wrong. We have eight or nine Safeties on the roster and can only keep five at most. Geno, when he was healthy, was a near pro bowl FS. When Rodney went down in 2005 there was nobody except an immature rookie to play SS, and the Pats went through a succession of one week failures playing alongside Geno. When Hawkins showed up, Geno got hurt.

IMHO the Pats have a superb secondary composed of a Pro bowler with Asante, a very good young corner in Hobbs, and proven starters in Gay and Scott for depth at CB. Their Safeties are Wilson and a now-experienced Sanders, with Rodney and Hawkins and Gay for depth, and Baker, Andrews, Scott, and Mitchell for even more depth.

With regard to Lance Briggs, he has said he doesn't fit in a 3-4 and he ought to know. He complains that he plays second fiddle to Urlacher at LB in Chicago. How would he like to play second, third, fourth, or maybe fifth fiddle to Bruschi, Vrabel, AD, and/or Colvin? That's why it would never happen !

Much like the WR position I look for the Pats to bring in competition for the FS spot, be it the draft, FA, or both.

Wilson hasn't played good FS in two years and whenever he gets matched up one on one he gets beat so unless things change he's not moving to CB either. He's a UFA after this year so maybe he'll be more motivated and will put up a good year but if he's going to have to earn it.

If Milloy had to earn every cent Wilson will be held accountable and BB will bring in guys to push him and if need be push him out.

I think you have several things quite wrong. We have eight or nine Safeties on the roster and can only keep five at most. Geno, when he was healthy, was a near pro bowl FS. When Rodney went down in 2005 there was nobody except an immature rookie to play SS, and the Pats went through a succession of one week failures playing alongside Geno. When Hawkins showed up, Geno got hurt.

IMHO the Pats have a superb secondary composed of a Pro bowler with Asante, a very good young corner in Hobbs, and proven starters in Gay and Scott for depth at CB. Their Safeties are Wilson and a now-experienced Sanders, with Rodney and Hawkins and Gay for depth, and Baker, Andrews, Scott, and Mitchell for even more depth.

With regard to Lance Briggs, he has said he doesn't fit in a 3-4 and he ought to know. He complains that he plays second fiddle to Urlacher at LB in Chicago. How would he like to play second, third, fourth, or maybe fifth fiddle to Bruschi, Vrabel, AD, and/or Colvin? That's why it would never happen !

Cousin,
The Briggs thing was just a "Would-ya-if-I". If you read anything about the guy, he wants to be "THE GUY". It's how you read it I guess. You can read it as #1 it's "me before team" , or #2 he is asking the team to "ride his shoulders", and with the case of the Bears, Urlacher already has that job. I know it has been said he prefers a 4-3 D, but given the fact that he could be the pivot guy for many years to come if he agrees to play MLB, especially when Teddy retires, I say he is willing to accept that. We also know the Bears are looking for a safety and some DL help and they lost a couple of guys to FA. But it just doesn't end there.

Even if a deal could be worked, just how much money would this dude want. I know it's all a mute point, but just a fun thought to stick him in the middle next to Teddy and a rotation outside of AT, Colvin and Vrabel. Briggs ceratinly has the size.

I just threw a Wilson trade out there to get something back for he and Hill because, no he dosen't start as I think Wilson is ripe to get beat out by a talented rookie if we draft one AND he is in the last year of his contract. He'll cost a fortune in 2008. Who would you rather have? Briggs or a tarnished Wilson? He has been going backwards IMO.

I think the corners were respectable somewhat but certainly not perfect. I think Hobbs is a better nickle back. Another corner is needed and surely another safety.

DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye