PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Eugene Wilson be a starting safety in Week 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is the odds on favorite to regain his starting spot. Why not? If not Wilson, then who?

The Pats will draft a SS not a FS. If anyone is in jeopardy of not starting it is Rodney.

He is the odds on favorite to regain his starting spot. Why not? If not Wilson, then who?

The Pats will draft a SS not a FS. If anyone is in jeopardy of not starting it is Rodney.

At least for this year I would disagree with that statement. If Rodney is healthy, he starts.

At least for this year I would disagree with that statement. If Rodney is healthy, he starts.

I bet Rodney doesn't start the week 17 game.....learned our lesson the hard way.

Eugene Wilson stats the past two seasons....

Games: 20
Interceptions: 1 (vs. New Orleans Saints 2005)
Sacks: 0
Fumble Recoveries: 1

Not exactly play maker stats, which is what we criticized Milloy for in 2002.

wow
ive been saying this for quite some time
but i didnt realize how true it was
bottom line is we like our safeties to be able to make big plays
and as i read the stats i was thinkin bout he we cut lawyer cuz of that exact reason

Last edited:
That is absolutely untrue. Geno was always the starter when healthy.

IMO, unless we draft an elite safety high (perhaps in spite of, depending on the learning curve), Geno will start next season. He's a good player when he doesn't have a revolving door next to him.

At SS, Rodney's near the end. I could see him in on running downs but I also see Sanders expanding his PT. Contrary to DWToys' post, Sanders played quite well last year (and would be even better with a better FS).

i used to argue that case of geno only playin bad cuz of the revolving door too
but fact of the matter is that he just hasnt made any big plays
and hes been gettin hurt too often
he just isnt the same player he once was, admit it

as for sanders, he did okay, im not exactly ready to get his bronze statue waxed yet

Whatever the answer turns out to be, this is an extremely important thread. Safety is a top need of ours IF Wilson is not the starter. If we get the Wilson of 2004, then we're in dang good shape. There was something about the way Wilson and Rodney complemented each other. EW hasn't been the same in two years --- it's bizarre how someone could look so good and then so bad a year or two later. Remember when Wilson was the better of the two rookie finds and Samuel #2?

Bumping the thread as a reminder: the status of Eugene Wilson (which admittedly might be unknowable this month) is possibly the most important pre-draft question we have.

The Pats will draft a SS not a FS. If anyone is in jeopardy of not starting it is Rodney.[/quote]

go wash your mouth out with soap.:mad:

Wilson has plenty of talent to play either FS (the centerfielder kind) or CB. He originally was a CB but his superior size/speed ratio ( and AS's presence) made BB project him to be a great cover FS with the size to come up and drill a RB. Actually, I think it's time for him to go back to CB and get off ST coverage where he has been hurt a couple of times.

Cousins,
I guess I am not on the Geno bandwagon. He has either been hurt or digresses every year. His size to speed ratio? What is he 5' 10 and a half and 195lbs? Fact is he is probably smaller. Lets all agree on the obvious. He is at best a very small S. He started when they had no one else to play the spot and give him his due, he played well with Rodney at SS next to him his first year. He laid some licks but they have taken their toll.
He is not a compact, tightly wound, muscle bound Bob Sanders type small either.
I think he makes a better nickel at this time in his slumping career. In fact, I would love to see what we can get for him now, as after this year he is history. Get a choice and re-fortify if you will.
If Assante stays, they can't keep both anyway.
I think IMO Nelson, Merriweather (and I am not fans of these two as they are Geno clones in size), Griffin or Weddle or Wendling start over Geno, at least after the first few games at FS.
DW Toys

For the last time, size does not really matter.

And while I think Harrison is still the putative starter, I wouldn't be surprised to see him splitting a lot of time with Sanders this year.

Last edited:
For the last time, size does not really matter.

And while I think Harrison is still the putative starter, I wouldn't be surprised to see him splitting a lot of time with Sanders this year.

JB,
I respect your opinion, but beg to differ. I think his size, or lack there-of has contributed to his well being. Bob Sanders is unique. Compact, tightly wound and muscular. Geno has a CB type build.
I would think you will agree with me that if Assante gets signed, Geno goes in 2008. Is that a fair statement?
IMO I would prepare for this now and work in a rookie(o.k. with talent not size) and perhaps see on draft day what Genos' value might be pending what the choices look like at that point.
All of this is speculation as I am sure you agree. Every comment in these threads are. You might be 100% correct.......or I might be 50% correct. Anyway, both of us still have to work for a living and this decision won't affect our daily lives will it Jack?
DW Toys

So going into Week 1 of the season, do you expect Eugene Wilson to be a starting safety for the Patriots?

Yes. I believe he will be our starting FS in week 1. Who else would be better? Hawkins shouldn't be anything but a 3rd stringer, IMO. Eugene had a couple off years, but a lot of it was due to ongoing injuries. Maroney didn't do so hot after getting hurt last year either and we are still projecting him as our starter. Injuries happen, look at Rodney too. He got hurt, yes, but he still played 10 games and didn't come anywhere close to his usual amount of tackles per game. Anyway, back to the question, I just don't see a rookie starting there unless Eugene gets hurt (hope not). I do see them drafting another safety, but not to come in and start right away.

I think this topic deserves revisiting now that the Patriots have drafted Brandon Merriweather with their first round pick.

Now what do you think of a healthy Eugene Wilson starting in week 1?

why do people think that Wilson is still capable of playing CB? has he gotten bigger/slower since being drafted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back