PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will BB blitz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the pats typically don't blitz because they are conservative and want to feel their opponent out in the first half. why blitz and potentially give up a big play? make the opposing team go on a 10 play drive and earn it.

now i think this may be a bit different since this is the second go around.

we do miss colvin's pass rush.

a big thing will be the ability of the front 4 to put on a legit pass rush and hurry eli.

The Pats D was concerned mostly with stopping the run and the game was manageable up until the 4th quarter when the needed big-time stops. The D let the offense score 22 unanswered points. Where's the problem?

That's the kind of confidence BB has in his players, team and coaching staff.

you still don't get the point, why dig your self into such position when you can completely prevent from being in such position?

why blitz and potentially give up a big play? make the opposing team go on a 10 play drive and earn it.

The Corners coverage has been really well. Career journey qbs hitting wide open receiver across the middle isn't really earning and is no different from bombs downfield, which could be prevented with pressure.

you still don't get the point, why dig your self into such position when you can completely prevent from being in such position?

The Pats don't have a dominant D like in past years...the have a more of a Swiss Army D this year (if that makes any sense). They were banking on Eli to make mistakes...and he did in the end. If the Pats played the pass early on, the Giant would have carved them up with their running game...so they took that away hoping Eli would crack and he didn't through 3 quarters. Then they decided to pressure him when they needed stops and got him to get away from what he was doing the whole game.

The Corners coverage has been really well. Career journey qbs hitting wide open receiver across the middle isn't really earning and is no different from bombs downfield, which could be prevented with pressure.

I think across the middle is a function of the defense with deep safeties not letting anything behind them and the function of the cover 2 defense.

But you are right. The secondary can only cover so long, hence the pats have had some difficulty getting pressure on the qb with just a 3 or 4 man rush. they need colvin back next season or upgrading the pass rush.

Pats D has been vanilla for three quarters the last few games and started blitzing in the fourth. Perhaps BB will turn them loose early and see if we can rattle Eli, get some turnovers, and get up on them quickly.

This is slightly off topic, but similar to how we have been vanilla early and have been blitzing more (usually Rodney) in second half - I love how we have been passing so much early the opposing D is rushing QB hard and playing extra d-backs and then we give them a steady diet of LoMo. Once they bring an extra guy in the box, it's time to go deep to Moss or Stallworth.....

I'm just saying I would like to see the pats pressure the qb more than they have recently. Who knows what could have happen to the outcome of last weekend game had the bend-but-dont-break- strategy failed or had the chargers not stumble in the redzone. All I'm saying is lets not make things difficult for ourselves. BB has proven that with disguised blitz, he can own any offense in the league so I don't understand why he doesn't bring the heat. Heck we saw the ravens stall the last few drives after BB decided to apply pressure.

Let me get this straight.
IF the strategy that worked hadn't worked we could have been in trouble.
So we would be better off using a different strategy that may or may not have worked?
(By the way our red zone D would have had to have been horrendous, i.e 0 for 3 for us to have lost that game. And actually we only would have had to end the 9 minute drive with a score and still win. If it had only 1 stop in the 3, SD would have had 20 points, and we scored 21)

I think that your idea of which ideas of BBs would own any offense are not as good as BBs own ideas.

I have no clue what this means. Let me understand. We won every game, and the way we won them included QBs you don't think highly of completing a few passes, but not enough to beat us.
We ended up 4th in the NFL in points allowed. (and were first through 15 games)
But we had a bad game plan because while winning we allowed some plays?

I think your expectations are out of whack. I'm pretty happy that our defvensive schemes are set up so a weak QB has to make a lot of plays to beat us. None have. Lets go and own that weak QB by creating another weaknesses that those teams can expliit with their strennths, right?

I have no clue what this means. Let me understand. We won every game, and the way we won them included QBs you don't think highly of completing a few passes, but not enough to beat us.
We ended up 4th in the NFL in points allowed. (and were first through 15 games)
But we had a bad game plan because while winning we allowed some plays?

I think your expectations are out of whack. I'm pretty happy that our defvensive schemes are set up so a weak QB has to make a lot of plays to beat us. None have. Lets go and own that weak QB by creating another weaknesses that those teams can expliit with their strennths, right?

You are absolutely right because when we have infact blitz, we have perform much worse than the vanilla D. As a matter of fact, last time we play the giants, when we blitz we allowed like 20+ points, but when we played vanilla, we set up our offense for a 22-0 run, thus allowing the opponent to "exploit our weakness":rolleyes:

well then how do you explain Eli's Joe Montane esque performances for 3 quarters if the pats d responsibility is to adapt accordingly with the current situation. when eli drove down the field 1st,2nd,3rd,etc drive, why didn't the pats d conform into in a blitz d since thats what it needed to be obviously?

What game were you watching?

1 15:00 10:59 4:01 Kickoff NYG 26 7 74 0 74 3 *NE 7 Touchdown
2 5:19 3:36 1:43 Kickoff NYG 21 3 -1 0 -1 0 NYG 20 Punt
3 14:55 14:44 0:11 Kickoff 0 0 0 0 0 Touchdown
4 9:59 7:40 2:19 Kickoff NYG 30 4 20 0 20 1 50 Punt
5 1:59 0:13 1:46 Kickoff NYG 15 8 80 5 85 6 *NE 3 Touchdown
6 13:22 9:12 4:10 Punt NYG 40 7 60 0 60 3 *NE 19 Touchdown
7 4:00 0:30 3:30 Kickoff NYG 40 6 14 0 14 1 NE 46 Punt
8 12:46 11:29 1:17 Punt NYG 30 3 3 0 3 0 NYG 33 Punt
9 11:06 9:53 1:13 Kickoff NYG 23 3 14 -10 4 0 NYG 27 Interception
10 4:36 1:04 3:32 Kickoff NYG 32 11 51 17 68 5 *NE 3 Touchdown

First drive. One long play on a missed coverage by the safety.
Drive 2 3 and out
DRive 3 KO return
Drive 4 4 and out
Drive 5 Good drive
Drive 6 Good drive (manning completed 3 passes)
Drive 7 6 plays 14 yards and a punt
Drive 8 3 and out
Drive 9 Int
Drive 10 garbage time

So on 8 drives, they scored due to a big play on a blown coverage. Had 2 good drives, 2 minute drill and first drive of 2nd half.
Otherwise they had 5 drives that amounted to an Int, and 4 drives totalling 16 plays and 4 punts.
Their offense scored 21 points other than the garbage time TD.

If that is playing like Joe Montana, Joe Montana needs to give back his SB rings, and HOF membership.

You are absolutely right because when we have infact blitz, we have perform much worse than the vanilla D. As a matter of fact, last time we play the giants, when we blitz we allowed like 20+ points, but when we played vanilla, we set up our offense for a 22-0 run, thus allowing the opponent to "exploit our weakness":rolleyes:

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I hear what you're saying, Menlo.
I want to see them blitz more too.
But I know the Pats are going to do what they always do.
Play coverage into the 3rd quarter.
Then set loose the dogs. When you need them most.
That's when their superior conditioning comes in.
We also don't want to wear down on Seau and Tedy either.

Yes, of course! In a garden, growth has its season...as long as the roots are not severed, all is well, and all will be well in the garden.

the pats typically don't blitz because they are conservative and want to feel their opponent out in the first half. why blitz and potentially give up a big play? make the opposing team go on a 10 play drive and earn it.

now i think this may be a bit different since this is the second go around.

we do miss colvin's pass rush.

a big thing will be the ability of the front 4 to put on a legit pass rush and hurry eli.

There is another reason for this.
While there are some fans that think you have to play aggressively, its silly to not be conservative when you are the better team. Being aggressive on offense can create points, but only increases risk. If you are a better team, why introduce risk? That increases your chance of losing.
Same goes for D. If you gamble with the blitz, you allow a lesser team to beat you with one play. If you are better, make them beat you on 14 plays, because they won't very often.

Look at BBs history. When his D is dominant, he is conservative on offense. (He is more aggressive on d because the D is so good it mitigates the risk). This year when his offense is dominant he is conservative on D. (And aggressive on O because the risk is less with such a dominant offense)

Another way to look at it:

If my D makes me very confident that I won't allow more than 17 points, I will be very conservative on O, because mistakes will raise that 17, and by being conservative I can still easily get to 20.
The opposite is true. If I am very confident I can score 30, I can be conservative on D. Since my O will control the game, the only chance of the other team hanging with me is by hitting big plays when I gamble. A conservative D will rarely allow 30 points. An aggressive one is much more likely to.
If my conservative game plan allows 14 if they play well and 27 if they do not, but my aggressive D allows nothing if they play well and 38 if they do not, when I have this years Patriot offense, I am Mr Conservative on D.

I hear what you're saying, Menlo.
I want to see them blitz more too.
But I know the Pats are going to do what they always do.
Play coverage into the 3rd quarter.
Then set loose the dogs. When you need them most.
That's when their superior conditioning comes in.
We also don't want to wear down on Seau and Tedy either.

Why do you want to blitz?

I want to play a D that never allows a play more than 15 yards. With our offense we cannot lose if that happens, no matter how many so-so plays we allow.

The whole point is that defense like this is a study of economics. Blitz is high risk, high reward. If you are lucky enough for it to pay off, yes you can end up in a great position, but what if the blitz backfires in the first half. You may dig yourself a hole you can't crawl out of.

I'll stick with Bill Belichick knowing what he is doing over a 15 post noob.

There is another reason for this.
While there are some fans that think you have to play aggressively, its silly to not be conservative when you are the better team. Being aggressive on offense can create points, but only increases risk. If you are a better team, why introduce risk? That increases your chance of losing.
Same goes for D. If you gamble with the blitz, you allow a lesser team to beat you with one play. If you are better, make them beat you on 14 plays, because they won't very often.

Look at BBs history. When his D is dominant, he is conservative on offense. (He is more aggressive on d because the D is so good it mitigates the risk). This year when his offense is dominant he is conservative on D. (And aggressive on O because the risk is less with such a dominant offense)

Another way to look at it:

If my D makes me very confident that I won't allow more than 17 points, I will be very conservative on O, because mistakes will raise that 17, and by being conservative I can still easily get to 20.
The opposite is true. If I am very confident I can score 30, I can be conservative on D. Since my O will control the game, the only chance of the other team hanging with me is by hitting big plays when I gamble. A conservative D will rarely allow 30 points. An aggressive one is much more likely to.
If my conservative game plan allows 14 if they play well and 27 if they do not, but my aggressive D allows nothing if they play well and 38 if they do not, when I have this years Patriot offense, I am Mr Conservative on D.

Totally agree with you on all accounts. Keep yourself in the game, don't take yourself out.

Why do you want to blitz?

I want to play a D that never allows a play more than 15 yards. With our offense we cannot lose if that happens, no matter how many so-so plays we allow.

Oh I agree that what we're doing is succeeding enough to win.
And though the D stepped up when it needed too, it gave up a ton of yardage already.
Eight guys in coverage and we still get picked apart.
Yes, the D has played well enough to win. It has also given up leads in tight games that could have been easier victories.
Now I'm not saying that blitzing is going to make that better or worse.
I just love to watch the blitz.:D
That is if you can do it without being burned.:eek:
I think the Pats can.

Last edited:
Yes, of course! In a garden, growth has its season...as long as the roots are not severed, all is well, and all will be well in the garden.

That was a great, great movie!!!!!

I've been fustrated with the vanilla type defense as of late, maybe except against the chargers, I would like to see the defense pressure the qb unresently. Would BB blitz Eli like he did McNaab?

I know what you mean. It just costs them over and over.
If it weren't for the Offense, they wouldn't be where they are right now.

Imagine what the Patriots could be if their Defense was any good? Heck, they could have been 14-2 or 15-1...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back