PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork seeking new deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wilfork seeing new deal...

Per Karen Guregian on the Herald blog:

"Nose tackle Vince Wilfork was among the 15 missing from today’s voluntary team activity. This could be a subtle message to management about the lack of movement on a new contract. Prior to the draft, Wilfork had indicated everyone seemed to be on the same page, and he understood the team had other priorities, but since then, there have apparently been no discussions.

Other notables not present for the session included Tedy Bruschi, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Meriweather, Sammy Morris and Jarvis Green.

Ty Warren also wasn’t there, but he’s rehabbing from off-season abdominal surgery.

In all, 76 of the 91 players currently on the roster participated.

To me this is a reasonable blurb. She mentions he wasn't there, she mentions the possibility of his absence being a message but also mentions other notables who are also absent.

Reiss' article goes on for 2 pages, and unless he knows something we don't, I think his title is very misleading, considering there's nothing there to back it up. Sorta disappointing piece :(

The bolded part of Guerigan's blog was my understanding too but I'm not shocked there haven't been any furthur discussions and apparently neither is Vince:cool: If everything was left on a "same page" note then why make such a deal out of no furthur discussions for now?

The only actual fact we've learned is that Big Vince likes to Tweet in his off time. :idea2:

Last edited:
I think they let him walk. He's a remarkable athlete for such a big guy, but how great an athlete do you really need to be to do the bulk of the NT job? I know I will get flamed for this, but if Brace can tie up blockers but maybe not penetrate quite as well...is it really worth paying Wilfork 6-8M per year?

The art of personnel management is to get the most for the least....freeing you up to get FAs where you are in desperate need (of course it's best to not be in desperate need, but it happens)....Wilfork is super quick, I think he'd be ideal in a 4-3 actually.

If this thing doesnt work itself out its gonna suck loosing arguably your two top defenders in Wilfork and Seymour. That will be a huge loss for the Pats.

I think they let him walk.
I think he'll stay but if he doesn't he'll be Franchised next offseason. Then they'll either keep him for 2010 or trade him He won't "walk".

I think he'll stay but if he doesn't he'll be Franchised next offseason. Then they'll either keep him for 2010 or trade him He won't "walk".

Yeah theirs no way they just let the guy walk, maybe im being homeristic but in the end I think they agree upon something, talks will pick up after ota's. Theres about a solid month of dead time coming up which presents a great opportunity for both sides to hammer something out.

OK, lets run scenarios again (thanks to Mr. Reiss).

If there is no cap there will also be 2 tags available (although only one of them can be the franchise tag and the other would be transition). You tag the one you may not intend to resign in case you find you need to trade him (and it would be for more than a second) and the one you want to sign you transition allowing you to match any offer he gets. Of course this is predicated on your not simply signing them both between January and FA (when only you can). And remember, no cap means no floor so there may not be that many teams in the market for a big ticket player on the eve of a potential work stoppage in 2011. And teams in the playoffs will be restricted from signing more FA than the lose...and the rest of them are either eminently re-signable (Faulk, Neal, etc.) or stuck with being RFA's (Manking, Gostkowski, Kaczur...).

If there is a cap it will be easier to craft the standard first few years cap friendly deals allowing teams to retain their own FA longterm absent the present restrictive salary rules. We are currently $51M+ under the projected 2010 cap with 36 players under contract...

It would be easier to extend players now if not for them. That includes the GOAT - and extending him would free up cap to help extend the others. But because of the expiring CBA this season that can't effectively be done. Unless of course you want them to not sign sufficient FA this season to be as competitive as they can be...

I think some of this is part of that stuff Vince recently said he understood was making getting his extension done not something they could handle right this minute... As Bill would say, it is what it is. When he recently talked with Dale and Holley on WEEI he was very upbeat and made light of any contract concerns and said he is under contract, looking forward to the season, and confident that things will get taken care of so he can remain here hopefully for his career...

But hey, where's the drama in that so lets stir the pot and see what develops...

Thanks Mike.

Signing bonuses are given up front, spread over the length of the contract, and they hit your cap each and every year in equal amounts.

By giving him a signing bonus in the form of a guaranteed first year salary, you set up your team to have no cap pressure in the following years.

That's the beauty of an uncapped year.

Yeah I get that. I just think that 30M is too much to give him in guarenteed $$.

He's a great player... but that is quite the haul for a nt.

In an uncapped year, you can make a huge balloon payment to Vince in the form of a huge salary (say, $15 million) and then the next few years you can pay him $5 million, for an average of $6-7 million over the life of the contract. The beauty of that is you incur the bulk of the cost in an uncapped year, and you salary cap for the future benefits from added flexibility.

That scenario would fit this

Amounts Treated as Signing Bonuses. For purposes of determining Team Salary under the
foregoing, the term “signing bonus” shall include:
(1) Any amount specifically described in a Player Contract as a signing bonus;
(5) The difference between the Salary in the second contract year and the first contract year when Salary in the second contract year is less than half the Salary called for in the first year of such Contract;

and may be prohibited:
"No NFL Player Contract entered into in an Uncapped Year prior to the Final League Year may provide for an annual decrease in Salary, excluding any amount attributable to a signing bonus as defined in Section 7(b)(iv) above, of more than 30% of the Salary of the first League Year of the contract per year. This rule shall not apply in any Capped Year to any Player Contract that was signed in the 1993 League Year or earlier."

I have asked around about the prior paragraph applying in 2010 if it is uncapped. So far, no one has given me a definitive answer.

$6.058 million for DT, $8.991 million for DE.

That was for 2009. What was true for 2009 will not be necessarily true in 2010.

That was for 2009. What was true for 2009 will not be necessarily true in 2010.

Particularly after the Haynesworth contract. The Pats would be lucky to sign Wilfork for 6M per year at this point in time.

I don't think that the Brace pick is a surprise at all in light of the Wilfork situation.

Last edited:
I really hope we get a long term deal done before the season. Warren, Seymour, Wilfork, Mayo, Merriweather are the anchors of the D IMO. These are the Mainstays of the D. Home Grown Talent.

Nose tackle Wilfork has eye on new deal - The Boston Globe

Starting to look like a battle will brew if they don't get him extended at a rate at least around $6-10 million per year plus incentives...

Can't blame big Vince ... teams are switching to the 3-4 and that puts him in demand ... not a member here who wouldn't demand top money if they were in vince's shoes. That being a said a small discount would be nice ... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft