PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork says he wouldn't mind playing for the Bucs or Dolfoons

Status
Not open for further replies.
wilfork will play for the lions. if they pay him. he said he dose not want the tag. he said ya the tag is ok money but im not a ok player and i should be paid the way i play.

tommy kelly got 8 million a year with 18 million guaranteed.

albert haynesworth, got 13 million a year with 41 million guaranteed

i think wilfork wants something in the middle like 10 million a year with about 25 million guaranteed. im not sure the pats will pay that much. and i realy think that there will be a cap this year. so i can't see the pats takeing that big of a cap hit with any one other then brady.

Just playing along with the notion we trade him (which I do not want to happen).....

We tag him and then trade him to the Buccs. We take their #3 pick this year and their first rounder next year, giving us two first rounders and three second rounders this year, and three (yes three) first rounders next year as well as our second rounder.

We could then trade that and either our #22 pick this year or even better our own first rounder next year, to the Rams (looking at the trade value chart the numbers are spot on), taking Suh first overall, they get to take Clausen or whoever at #3, we get Iupati or Graham (who I'm sold on completely) at #22, then take BPA in round two (Pouncey, Lane, Norwood?)

That would still leave us with two probable top 15 and likely top 10 picks next year where we take one of the Fab Four, and someone like Greg Romeus or Cameron Hayward.

In 2011 our front 7 could possibly be:

Romeus - Suh - Warren - Graham

Norwood - Mayo - McKenzie

Or:

Warren - Brace - Suh

Romeus - Norwood - Mayo - Lane

With our O-line looking something like:

Vollmer - Mankins - Pouncey - Iupati - LeVoir.

Just something to chew over.....

nobody's giving 2 1st rounders for wilfork and holding out for such will yield nothing........figure they get one high 1st rounder

getting a guy like mcclain would be more important than suh given the 3-4 has only been effective with a good set of LB's.......you can find big bodies later in the draft (odrick for one)

Wow, this thread reminds me of when my parents used to fight before they split up. Please Rob and Deus, don't get divorced! I'll be better, I promise!!

Patjew. It is not your fault. We both still love you very much. Sometimes when two message board posters are posting together for a number of years they just don't see eye to eye anymore. I doesn't mean we both don't love you anymore.

I think it is for the best that Deus and I see other posters. Personally, I am heading over to the Warcraft website, buying a virtual Porsche, and starting to date a 21 year old Elf with 21 hit points (I like them a little freaky).

Don't worry kiddo, we can spend quality time on this board together every other weekend, half the major holidays, and three weeks during the summer.

Re: Wilfork says he wouldnt mind playing for the Bucs or Dolfoons.

I don't claim to know how the offseason is going to play out, and I didn't say that the Wilfork situation is going to end badly. This is what I mean about you. Perhaps if you'd take the time to actually read what was posted instead of jumping up on a soapbox at the first sign of anything that's not a ringing endorsement of all things Belichick, you could figure out that I was merely talking about what would be the worst case scenario. At no time have I claimed that the Wilfork situation was going to end badly.

But don't let facts get in the way of you posting things that are wrong.

Don't misquote me and then biatch about me misquoting you. I am willing to give Belichick the benefit of the doubt going into the offseason. I don't trash the guy for one bad season until I see what he is going to do to fix the problem.

Let's try this once again, since you apparently have lost the ability to even pretend to be rational. Hopefully, this will help lead you back, although I hold out little hope:

A.) The team had lost a lot of players coming into this season.

B.) Seymour is a Hall of fame level player.

C.) The team didn't have anyone behind Seymour who was anywhere near as good a player.

D.) The team could have had Seymour on the team this season helping a defense that needed help.

E.) The team could have either franchised Seymour after this season or let him walk and still probably gotten a 2011 3rd round pick as compensation.

F.) Without Seymour, both the pass rush and the run defense was significantly weaker than it would have been with him on the team, given his level of play as recently as last season.

G.) The 2011 pick is something that Patriots fans will hope nets a player of Seymour's talent. The problem is that they already had Seymour.

H.) Brady is going to be about 34 before that 2011 player even hits the field for the team, meaning that 2009 and 2010 (32 + 33) were years without a top notch player on the field for Brady's prime so that the team could draft a player to develop through Brady's NFL dotage.

I.) Even without the pick from the Seymour trade, the Patriots will have had 10 picks in the top 2 rounds from 2009-2011. The team clearly will have had the ability to load up on players even without that pick.

Now, you can keep singing whistling in the dark about a 2011 pick, or you can wise up to what you witnessed this past season. I really don't care which. I've been avoiding posting responses to you recently because of just this sort of silliness that's become your norm.

However, if trading Seymour was so great, perhaps it's time to move Wilfork, Brady and Mankins. Mankins and Wilfork are at the end of their deals, and Brady has just one year left on his before he'll want way too much money, and he's damaged goods anyway. They should really get rid of all these guys, for the good of the future. Just imagine all the great draft picks the team could get in return. This team will be absolutely amazing in 2015!

I have agreed that short term that trading Seymour was a a bad move. But you are overrating the guy a bit. He is a Hall of Famer, but hasn't played at that level for a while. The Pats were likely to lose him anyway. You cannot judge this trade until we see what the Pats get. They could use that pick this year to trade for someone. I figure that Seymour was gone after the 2009 season anyway. So I am willing to take an one year hit to potentially get the next Tom Brady or Lawrence Taylor. Besides, Seymour was not the missing piece to make this team from what it was to be an elite team.

Personally, Brady getting up there in age is a good argument to load up and build for the future while still being competitive now. Which is what the Pats did.

I haven't changed. The team hasn't been as good and I've pointed that out. Belichick has made terrible moves and I've pointed them out. It's really nothing more than that. I've defended Pees, Light, O'Brien, Maroney, and Watson, among others, even as I've pointed out problems in other areas. I also expressed my opinion that if Brady had been 100% Brady, a lot of the problems would have been overcome and the team would still have been an Elite team. It seems to me that I'm still doing as I always have, which is look at each issue and incident separately as well as looking at them as part of a whole.

Some major things I've harped on this season:

Bad Burgess trade
Seymour trade having a negative impact on this season and being even worse when looked at in combination with the Burgess trade
Lack of WR3 after cutting Galloway loose
Overrated defense that isn't up to facing the better offenses
Screw up on 4th down as part of an entire series of screw ups.

Seems to me that I've been just one of many considering those things problems, as opposed to just being some troll stirring it up. But, then again, for those who can't handle the team facing some honest and deserved criticism, even that's probably too much.

Most people thought Galloway was a great pick up when it happened. Belichick has missed on free agents forever even in Super Bowl years. Remember Donald Hayes, David Terrell, JJ Stokes, etc.

I am convinced that Burgess was plan D for the Pats at OLB. That is why the trade happened so late in the preseason. I think the Pats were interested in Peppers, but Peppers didn't want to play the game and sign the franchise tag. I think Belichick was ready to add Jason Taylor, but the Dolphins jumped in at the last moment and stole him away. I think the Pats were also high on McKenzie and had hopes that either he or Crable would step up. After all those things fell apart, Belichick looked to Burgess. If Belichick knew what he knew by the end of training camp, he might not have traded Vrabel.

If the Pats made that fourth down, Belichick would have been called a genius. In the past he has made risking calls that worked out. This one didn't.

As for the series of mistakes, getting rid of Pees goes a long way to fix that. For the last three years, Belichick has had to spread himself thin doing Pees job and working with the defense on the sidelines making adjustments. He never did that with Romeo. When he had McDaniels, it was easy to ignore the offense at those points (BTW, I think the loss of McDaniels hurt this team far, far more than Seymour). It hurt with a rookie signal caller O'Brien.

Last edited:
Random thought:

Let's say Wilfork signed with the Dolphins - would anyone really be scared of them b/c of it? Would anyone not want to face him twice a year? He certainly wouldn't affect the way we - as a pass-first team - play their team. Unless Miami uses them differently than we do. Just a thought.

During the BB era, when a Patriot's contract negotiation has gotten to this level of acrimony, the player has never again suited up for the team. Sadly, I think there is a chance we have seen the last of Vince Wilfork.

Tampa has the two second round picks. That would be #34 and #42. Not that they would do it but if they would that would give us #22, #34, #42, #44, #47 and #53 in a very deep draft. Talk about rebuilding in a hurry.

The Ptriots seem to never offer contracts as a reward. They offer them based on perceived future value.

That being said, I pray they sign big VFW.

I agree with what you're saying, and if the Patriots change their philosophy then this is the guy to change it with. Also he is only 28 years old so I would also say his future value to the team is up there.

Tampa has the two second round picks. That would be #34 and #42. Not that they would do it but if they would that would give us #22, #34, #42, #44, #47 and #53 in a very deep draft. Talk about rebuilding in a hurry.

its pretty meaningless unless they can get into position to get a guy like mcclain

Vince is getting the franchise tag, and HE KNOWS IT!! He will hold out of training camp, (which will give Brace time to show if he can cut it) and play for the 6 million cap number, and then we can all play this dance again next year.

Let's face it, nobody is getting a long term deal until a new CBA is negotiated.

Vince is getting the franchise tag, and HE KNOWS IT!! He will hold out of training camp, (which will give Brace time to show if he can cut it) and play for the 6 million cap number, and then we can all play this dance again next year.

Let's face it, nobody is getting a long term deal until a new CBA is negotiated.

That's not neccessarily true. I think the Pats will give long term deals if there is no CBA, but they will try their best to make sure they have some insurance that they don't get screwed if there is a work stoppage or the cap growth stalls with a new deal. I can see them giving long term deals with at least half the bonus money being tied to a roster bonus in 2011. If there is no 2011 season, they don't pay that bonus. I expect a lot of teams making deals that way.

The Pats have never said they would not make deals. They have said they will not make deals that will come back to haunt them in 2011 if the cap rules change drastically or the doomsday scenario of a lockout happens.

Personally, I see next to zero percent chance of a work stoppage and I still think there is a decent chance that there will be a new CBA before March 5th. This time four years ago, the CBA talks were at a stalemate too. The league blinked in the last week or two before the deadline and gave in and gave the players most of what they wanted. I think the Pats realize that and they are holding out to the last minute to see what happens with the CBA talks and they will sign players this offseason even if there is uncertainty with some safeguards of an uncapped year. Most teams will who will spend.

Re: Wilfork says he wouldnt mind playing for the Bucs or Dolfoons.

Don't misquote me and then biatch about me misquoting you. I am willing to give Belichick the benefit of the doubt going into the offseason. I don't trash the guy for one bad season until I see what he is going to do to fix the problem.

I didn't misquote you.

I have agreed that short term that trading Seymour was a a bad move. But you are overrating the guy a bit. He is a Hall of Famer, but hasn't played at that level for a while. The Pats were likely to lose him anyway. You cannot judge this trade until we see what the Pats get. They could use that pick this year to trade for someone. I figure that Seymour was gone after the 2009 season anyway. So I am willing to take an one year hit to potentially get the next Tom Brady or Lawrence Taylor. Besides, Seymour was not the missing piece to make this team from what it was to be an elite team.

1.) What you're doing is rationalizing after the fact. It's what people do to protect their friends and family when they screw up. Fans do it with teams and coaches, as you are here.

2.) There was no way on Earth that the Patriots were going to lose Seymour if they didn't want to. It was impossible to happen. They had the franchise tag available. The only way for Seymour not to have returned to New England was for the Patriots to make moves that made that happen.

3.) Seymour on that defense and a healthy Welker on offense, and the Patriots were more than capable of beating any team in the NFL. It's amazing how quickly the people who are defending Belichick over this have forgotten about Seymour's play last season.

Personally, Brady getting up there in age is a good argument to load up and build for the future while still being competitive now. Which is what the Pats did.

So it's a good idea to undermine current seasons, when the team has a QB that can win Super Bowls, in order to potentially improve in future seasons, when that QB is likely to either be gone or be a lesser player? That makes sense only if you don't want to win Super Bowls or if you've won one in the past year or two.

Most people thought Galloway was a great pick up when it happened. Belichick has missed on free agents forever even in Super Bowl years. Remember Donald Hayes, David Terrell, JJ Stokes, etc.

Donald Hayes wasn't cut until almost the very end of the season. Stokes was cut after 2 games, but the team had Branch, Johnson, Patten and Givens. Terrell never played a game for the team, didn't make the final 53, and never had to be replaced mid-season.

The Galloway move led to a player being cut while the team was undertalented at WR without him, and the team never replaced him, even though it happened at the beginning of the season. That's the difference.

I am convinced that Burgess was plan D for the Pats at OLB. That is why the trade happened so late in the preseason. I think the Pats were interested in Peppers, but Peppers didn't want to play the game and sign the franchise tag. I think Belichick was ready to add Jason Taylor, but the Dolphins jumped in at the last moment and stole him away. I think the Pats were also high on McKenzie and had hopes that either he or Crable would step up. After all those things fell apart, Belichick looked to Burgess. If Belichick knew what he knew by the end of training camp, he might not have traded Vrabel.

Plan "A" or plan "Z" is irrelevant. Belichick shipped off 2 draft picks. The argument about Seymour is "wait for the picks!", yet the picks that were pissed away for Burgess just get ignored. It's not bad enough that Burgess sucked for the vast majority of the season. We get to tack on the loss of a 3rd and a 5th along with that lovely display of generally incompetent football. As I've pointed out before

Seymour
3rd in 2010
5th in 2010

for

Burgess
1st in 2011

The Raiders stole from the Patriots. Crazy Al beat the tar out of Bill the genius. What's worse is that the 5th rounder could have been a 4th if the Patriots didn't make moves to re-secure a 5th in the 2010 draft. So, in other words, the Patriots had to make a second trade to avoid making that Burgess trade even worse.

If the Pats made that fourth down, Belichick would have been called a genius. In the past he has made risking calls that worked out. This one didn't.

A stupid call is a stupid call, regardless of whether or not it's successful. It was a stupid call, particularly in light of everything that had preceded it during that series.

As for the series of mistakes, getting rid of Pees goes a long way to fix that. For the last three years, Belichick has had to spread himself thin doing Pees job and working with the defense on the sidelines making adjustments. He never did that with Romeo. When he had McDaniels, it was easy to ignore the offense at those points (BTW, I think the loss of McDaniels hurt this team far, far more than Seymour). It hurt with a rookie signal caller O'Brien.

As I've noted before, we have no idea what was going on as far as the dynamic with Pees/Belichick. People are making assumptions, nothing more. The reality is that the coaching staff was able to make chicken salad out of chicken excrement this season. Whether it was mostly Pees, mostly Belichick, or an even split is irrelevant. The defensive coaching was among the very least of this team's problems.

Last edited:
Or unless they can hit on all of them...

It is doubtful that even in a great draft that you hit on five second rounders. It is doubtful that the Pats would keep five second rounders. If the Pats decide to package some to trade up, that might be something. But I don't know if two second rounders would make the trade Wilfork.

Deus is still on the crazy train I see.

Burgess and Seymour are not linked in any way, shape or form btw.

Dam... Wilfork wants to play in Florida....

I knew we were in trouble when I seen those Golden Corral commercials.

That is a whole lot of food for around $10.

Last edited:
This article lacks a lot of context and quotes... Wilfork isn't going anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case