PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why strengthen a team you have to face?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle eye

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Please explain this to me.

The Patriots biggest area of concern at this moment remains the secondary. They just gave one of the best deep threats in the game to the team they face in week 8 for basically nothing only bringing a 3rd round pick forward by a year.

This seems like horrendous business to me. And suggesting that BB is up to something doesn't cut it because giving a guy who knows our offense to a team we are going to meet is bad news, never mind one of the best receivers in the game.

Last edited:
this is , IMO, the less important on this trade

Vikings are playing the Jets next week so...

So that our own draft pick in 2011 will be higher?

:bricks:

The Patriots biggest area of concern at this moment remains the secondary. They just gave one of the best deep threats in the game to the team they face in week 8 for basically nothing only bringing a 3rd round pick forward by a year.

This seems like horrendous business to me. And suggesting that BB is up to something doesn't cut it because giving a guy who knows our offense to a team we are going to meet is bad news, never mind one of the best receivers in the game.

I agree, that I just don't get it.

OTOH, as for the bold portion above, I guess I'll have to keep pointing this out till my fingers turn blue.

As Alan Faneca demonstrated, if a player with 10+ years leaves in FA, the maximum possible compensation is a fifth, not a third.

Of all the things to complain about, I think this is very minor. You don't make trade decisions based on a team in the other conference that you face once during the season. The Pats traded Bledsoe to Buffalo making them better and they faced them twice and are in the same division.

Personally, I would be more upset if they traded him to Houston who the Pats don't face at all this year but could be competing for a wild card or playoff seeding.

Last edited:
Randy Moss is not an elite WR in today's NFL

many ppl make too much of Moss and it is amusing.:D

His Legacy outweighs the current performer.:cool:

This is the less important, IMO

Randy Moss is not an elite WR in today's NFL

many ppl make too much of Moss and it is amusing.:D

His Legacy outweighs the current performer.:cool:

He was 5th in yardage last season, tied first in receiving tds and over 90% of the passes thrown his way were completed.

Thats the stats of an elite receiver. He played hurt in a couple of games last year too.

So please shut up unless you have something sensible to say.

Saying this is less important is ridiculous. Every win is huge this year with the Jets going so well. The object of the exercise is to win every game and this seriously hampers the Patriots chances of getting the W in week 8.

Bledsoe, Milloy, Branch, Seymour all say Hi. The loss of these players talents was far outweighed by the value of removing not only their increasingly marginal contribution from the playing field but their self absorbed and unaccountable attitudes from the locker room.

Bledsoe, Milloy, Branch, Seymour all say Hi. The loss of these players talents was far outweighed by the value of removing not only their increasingly marginal contribution from the playing field but their self absorbed and unaccountable attitudes from the locker room.

The Seymour trade was a disaster last season and until such time as that first round pick turns into and all-pro its still a terrible trade.

Moss was a legend before he came here, we have heard many good things said about him while he was here including Brady saying he was a leader on the offense.

But you decide without any knowledge that he was a locker room cancer?

And this thread is about strengthening an opponent pretty much free of charge.

Last edited:

Whether or not you have to face a team should have absolutely no impact on your trades. You only trade a player if you think what you're getting back helps more than losing the player hurts.

BB apparantly thinks that 4 years of a 3rd round pick are worth more than 12 games from Moss. Why the hell would one game against a team in the NFC make a difference in that?

for basically nothing only bringing a 3rd round pick forward by a year.
AdamJT13 says a 10+ year vet like Moss can only get a 5th round pick at best so that's wrong.

Also, the Jets also have to face Moss so it's basically a wash, we have to play him and so does the team we're competing against.

He was 5th in yardage last season, tied first in receiving tds and over 90% of the passes thrown his way were completed.

Thats the stats of an elite receiver. He played hurt in a couple of games last year too.

Please stop just making things up.

Randy Moss was targeted 137 times last year, and caught 83 of them.

61% is still good for a deep threat, but nowhere near 90%

The Seymour trade was a disaster last season and until such time as that first round pick turns into and all-pro its still a terrible trade.

Could you please point out exactly which game trading Seymour lost us last year?

And no, they didn't lose to Baltimore because of Seymour. They lost that game in the 1st quarter when Suggs strip-sacked Brady.

No worries. Our fierce pass rush will blast Favre:):):):)

Whether or not you have to face a team should have absolutely no impact on your trades. You only trade a player if you think what you're getting back helps more than losing the player hurts.

BB apparantly thinks that 4 years of a 3rd round pick are worth more than 12 games from Moss. Why the hell would one game against a team in the NFC make a difference in that?

4 years of a 3rd round pick? What?

All we are getting is a 3rd round pick a year earlier.

And every game is crucial this season with the Jets looking as good as they have so far. Its about winning the division, we just gave the Vikings the perfect weapon to destroy our secondary. Thats the perfect weapon for a team that was struggling in the receiving game and looked a handy matchup.

Last edited:
4 years of a 3rd round pick? What?

All we are getting is a 3rd round pick a year earlier.

And every game is crucial this season with the Jets looking as good as they have so far. Its about winning the division, we just gave the Vikings the perfect weapon to destroy our secondary. Thats the perfect weapon for a team that was struggling in the receiving game and looks a handy matchup.

The average 3rd rounder has a 4 year contract, hence 4 years of a 3rd round pick.

And no, as has been repeated several times, they'd get a 5th roudner for Moss because hes a 10 year vet.

Moving a year forward, and up from a 5 to a 3 is significant. Its the equivalent of moving from a late 6th to a 3 in the same year, IE, its a 3rd round pick, because a late 6th isn't worth anything.

If the QB targets you nearly 70% of the time..... you had better catch the ball.

:rolleyes:

Legacy>player of today.

Legacy makes ppl blind to what he is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents