PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why so down on Caldwell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I have rewatched the game and tried to focus as much as I could on Caldwell. I will say that there was some miscommunication between Brady and Caldwell on a couple of occasions and he had one drop right off the pads, but I saw some positive things as well and I think they should be mentioned. I also want to say that he is playing out of position, as he is not ready to be a #1 in any offense, but put in at a #2 I think he would do quite well.
In the first quarter he was able to get some nice seperation and was able to get a long pass interference call on the skins. After that, he did have some miscues and kinda fell off the radar until the 3rd, but he seemed to be handling the jam at the line well.

When Cassel was in Caldwell caught 2 very nice catches on the same drive, showing nice seperation, used his hands well, and was able to keep his feet in bounce on the second catch.

I know that from reports out of camp that we were all expecting Caldwell to come out and be Brady's favorite target and put up huge numbers, and I think he could at the 2 or 3 position. I just think all this talk of him getting cut or cannot catch a ball is overexagerated. Just my 2 cents. I hope this isn't rose colored glasses but more of rational thinking.

midwestpatsfan said:
I have rewatched the game and tried to focus as much as I could on Caldwell. I will say that there was some miscommunication between Brady and Caldwell on a couple of occasions and he had one drop right off the pads, but I saw some positive things as well and I think they should be mentioned. I also want to say that he is playing out of position, as he is not ready to be a #1 in any offense, but put in at a #2 I think he would do quite well.
In the first quarter he was able to get some nice seperation and was able to get a long pass interference call on the skins. After that, he did have some miscues and kinda fell off the radar until the 3rd, but he seemed to be handling the jam at the line well.

When Cassel was in Caldwell caught 2 very nice catches on the same drive, showing nice seperation, used his hands well, and was able to keep his feet in bounce on the second catch.

I know that from reports out of camp that we were all expecting Caldwell to come out and be Brady's favorite target and put up huge numbers, and I think he could at the 2 or 3 position. I just think all this talk of him getting cut or cannot catch a ball is overexagerated. Just my 2 cents. I hope this isn't rose colored glasses but more of rational thinking.

I am OK with Reche as a #3 receiver. Any hirer and I become very critical of him. I have seen him play numerous times with San Diego.

He drops balls thrown right to him; he is tentative on the field; he did not cut off his route and go back towards Brady when Brady was in trouble and therefore the pass fell behind him incomplete on Sat.; with the absence of Branch he has had all of training camp to get his timing down with Brady and hasn't done it. These are the answers off the top of my head.

midwestpatsfan said:
I also want to say that he is playing out of position, as he is not ready to be a #1 in any offense, but put in at a #2 I think he would do quite well.

Our expectations are certainly raised due to our WR situation this year, I know I'm desperate for him to look good NOW as to ease our minds....but ya still gotta hold on to the damn ball Reche! 2 drops in clutch situations so far, he needs to start making plays.

PatsDeb said:
He drops balls thrown right to him; he is tentative on the field; he did not cut off his route and go back towards Brady when Brady was in trouble and therefore the pass fell behind him incomplete on Sat.; with the absence of Branch he has had all of training camp to get his timing down with Brady and hasn't done it. These are the answers off the top of my head.
You expect a new WR to be timing with Brady after only one training camp, sheeesh. I saw him open several times against Washington, just happaned that Watson was also open. I believe the game plan was to get the ball to Watson.

Now don't get me wrong he's no #1, but I believe it will take atleast half the season for them to get on the same page. Geez it took Watson 2 season.

Displaced - Fan said:
You expect a new WR to be timing with Brady after only one training camp, sheeesh. I saw him open several times against Washington, just happaned that Watson was also open. I believe the game plan was to get the ball to Watson.

Now don't get me wrong he's no #1, but I believe it will take atleast half the season for them to get on the same page. Geez it took Watson 2 season.

Watson was a rookie who missed virtually all of his first season. Caldwell is a vet who was disappointing in his last assignment with San Diego.

Okay, guys, we get it - Caldwell's success in practice has not yet translated to the field. We're thin at WR and he's not stepping up. We're disappointed. But the guy could be a perfectly capable #3, possibly a #2 once he has the system in his bones. Give it a bit more time. I think, if healthy, he could be somewhere between Andre Davis and David Givens, which would be fine with me.

midwestpatsfan said:
I also want to say that he is playing out of position, as he is not ready to be a #1 in any offense, but put in at a #2 I think he would do quite well.
QUOTE]

I don't think that there is a position called "Number One Wide Receiver." #1, #2, etc. are just informal designations made by fans to distinguish certain receivers as being better than others. This designation is also used as a qualitative statement - i.e., #1's have attributes a,b,c...etc. However, by no means do #1's line up in different positions, run different routes, catch different types of passes, etc. If they happen to be dominant players, they might face different coverage schemes than less gifted players, but the bottom line is: "#1 receiver" is not a position. If you are saying, he's not ready for the pressure of being featured, then I don't think it will make a difference what option he is - if he is that fragile psychologically, he will not be effective. Bottom line, the TD he dropped against Atlanta is a catch that a NFL receiver has to make, whether he is a "#1" or a "#5".

PatsDeb said:
Watson was a rookie who missed virtually all of his first season. Caldwell is a vet who was disappointing in his last assignment with San Diego.

True, but it still took him all of last season to be on the same page as Brady.
Vet or not, Caldwell is still playing with a new QB in a new system. I guess all I'm saying is I'll give him some more time. That's just MHI.

PatsDeb said:

So, because you erroneously think that players can develop timing and a rapport in 20-30 practice sessions, that makes Caldwell bad? Also, you seem to forget that Caldwell is learning a new play-book. That doesn't happen over-night.

Caldwell, as long as he's not the #1, should be good for the Pats. If we have to rely on him to be the #1, then our expectations will need to be tempered by the understanding that he is returning from ACL injury, he's in a new system, and he's developing his rapport with Brady.

The fact remains you do have to catch the ball and run the right routes and know where to line up to play any level of WR in this league. For a guy who has been in the league for 4 seasons he is a marginal talent (weak #2 or 3 option at best).

That said, I warned at the outset of camp, when so many here were dismissive of Branch's holdout (the he and Brady are fine and he doesn't play the pre season anyway crowd) that his absence was already impacting the rest of the unit. BB said pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago when asked a general question about guys returning from injury (or whatever...) and how much time do they need to be game ready. His answer was it's not just about them being ready it's about getting on the same page with everyone else in their unit.

Guys are practicing their routes and Branch's because he isn't here. Mentally Troy can do that because he knows the offense and Brady inside out and many of those routes used to be his. But eventually it will take a toll on him physically. New guys like Caldwell and Jackson (who has become part of the problem now as opposed to part of the solution) can't handle the mental aspect of double duty in a new offense. Bethel struggled with that and it was one reason he wore out his welcome - he felt it was an imposition to expect him to cover for injured receivers and learn their routes too.

And as Deion would say, when and if he comes back it doesn't just instantly get easier for everyone because most of them have never played with him and now they are back to getting reps they were shortchanged on all offseason because they were trying to cover for his absent ass while learning a whole new offense with a meticulous QB at the helm.

It's not all about Deion. Or even Deion and Brady. It's about everybody on the offense who will all be impacted by his absence and/or his presence.

letekro said:
midwestpatsfan said:
QUOTE]

I don't think that there is a position called "Number One Wide Receiver." #1, #2, etc. are just informal designations made by fans to distinguish certain receivers as being better than others. This designation is also used as a qualitative statement - i.e., #1's have attributes a,b,c...etc. However, by no means do #1's line up in different positions, run different routes, catch different types of passes, etc. If they happen to be dominant players, they might face different coverage schemes than less gifted players, but the bottom line is: "#1 receiver" is not a position. If you are saying, he's not ready for the pressure of being featured, then I don't think it will make a difference what option he is - if he is that fragile psychologically, he will not be effective. Bottom line, the TD he dropped against Atlanta is a catch that a NFL receiver has to make, whether he is a "#1" or a "#5".

Letektro-
There are, most certainly, different WR positions. Flanker, Split-End, and Slot receiver.

Here you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_receiver

Each has a different set of routes that need to be run. Some receivers are better at running out of the slot while others are better from the Split-End or Flanker position. Troy Brown is a great SLOT receiver, and not as effective out of the Flanker position. Terry Glenn is much better lined up at Flanker than in the SLOT.

Also, there are many receivers who aren't ready to handle the pressure of being a featured receiver. However, you're use of the term "featured receiver" doesn't really apply to the Pats offense since they spread the ball out so much.

I expect Caldwell to have 50-60 receptions and drop 2-7 balls. But that is still less than Givens dropped last year. And I will be happy with that. He'd be even better with Branch lined up opposite him, but Branch has decided to being a selfish, lying prig.

PatsDeb said:

Watson is not a rookie and this is his 3rd training camp. Big difference.

Caldwell had a disappoining rookie and sophomore year with San Diego, broke out in his Junior year only to have it cut short by a catastrophic injury. Then, he was stuck as the 5th receiving option behind LaDanian, McCardell, Gates, and Parker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back