PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why should Belichick get a pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill has been consistent. Just hope he doesn't do this in the playoffs when he has number 12

I feel the same way. If we lose, let it be with the ball in Tom Brady's hands.

I will never question the current coach ....... He has provided me with more football joy then I ever imagined he would....same with the QB

they get a pass until the end of time
A simple and accurate way of putting it. This board after a loss looks like a browns board.

I will never question the current coach ....... He has provided me with more football joy then I ever imagined he would....same with the QB

they get a pass until the end of time

Truth.

There was an immediate reaction of "WTF", but after letting it sink in, perspective hits you.

This gif sums up my reaction perfectly

258bf345_AlonzoMourningThinks.gif

Seems like some posters are thinking making miscalculations, mistakes and bone-headed decisions are one in the same. They are different...

BB has done all 3.

A mistake is drafting Chad Jackson and Ron Brace.

A miscalculation is a clock management foul up or not taking into full account the correlation of actual % of success/failure and risk of a situation (4th and 2 or not kicking a FG 4th 1nd 13 in SB 42 come to mind)

Bone-headed is wearing that red hoodie for SB 42.

Yesterday was none of the 3.

Last edited:
I admit I wasn't opposed to kicking it away in OT. I thought, wrongly, that the defense would be able to come up with the stop and make our chances easier once we went on offense needing only the FG. Which I would assume Bill was thinking.

I'm not upset with Bill's decision that much. But in retrospect we should have considered that our defense was struggling badly at times. Even though we made a couple of stops we were catching breaks w/Fitz overthrowing open guys streaking down the field and giving up easy runs.

I think our chances were poor whether we got the ball first or kicked it. Unfortunately the decision looked much worse when the Jets drove for a TD in like 4-5 plays.

Pick play on the Enunwa reception helped a lot. No call but Blakeman's crew didn't call those all game.
The CB wasn't blocked by the WR. He ran into the other CB. Those plays rarely gets called.

Yeah, that guy who got the pick. Remember him?
No player in the NFL, outside of QBs is worth what he is payed. $16M per year is a crazy amout of money.

The CB wasn't blocked by the WR. He ran into the other CB. Those plays rarely gets called.

I don't know why people say that was a pick play and should have been flagged. The defensive players ran into each other like keystone cops lol

I have no problem with people criticizing Belichick as long as they can put in context and support their claims. Drafting and personnel is the easiest example, he has done poorly drafting WRs and CBs but if you look at his record overall it's as good as anyone Despite always drafting at the end of the round. On the other hand his ability to farm the personnel market beyond the 6-9 draft picks you have is better than anyone. His championship rosters are littered with pickups he made outside the draft, and his first round record is exceptional.

I also get it when people question in game decisions and playcalling, sometimes you wonder why they do what they do, but in the end their record is the best marker for in Game Decision making and no one wins more in this era, and that's a long run.

I was puzzled by his decision to kick in OT but was the right one imo. The Patriots had 1 TD drive and the OL struggled mightily throughout the game, on the other hand they stuffed the Jets offense in the 4th and one stop would have put the game on Gostkowski's foot. Even if they hold them to the FG the Patriots could have played 4 down offensive ball on the counter drive. They were 2-2 kicking off in OT and given the way that game had gone the decision made perfect sense it simply didn't work.

Belichick makes mistakes, so does Brady, but there is no better coach or QB in the game since the century began, that's the context.

I admit I wasn't opposed to kicking it away in OT. I thought, wrongly, that the defense would be able to come up with the stop and make our chances easier once we went on offense needing only the FG. Which I would assume Bill was thinking.

I'm not upset with Bill's decision that much. But in retrospect we should have considered that our defense was struggling badly at times. Even though we made a couple of stops we were catching breaks w/Fitz overthrowing open guys streaking down the field and giving up easy runs.

I think our chances were poor whether we got the ball first or kicked it. Unfortunately the decision looked much worse when the Jets drove for a TD in like 4-5 plays.

It would have been, just as bad had they taken the ball, gone 3 and out, and the Jets won on a FG after a short drive. I'm with Belichick, the stop was more likely.

I know that BB is not perfect, neither is Brady........but theyre perfect for me......this is what love is all about

I am sure if BB knew the outcome he'd also reconsider kicking the ball.

But on a serious note even if you have a 80% chance, you can still get end up being stuck on those 20% that dont succeed. In this case, Richards went down and his replacement immediately took the wrong angle and any advantage of kicking was immediately gone. But this is a completely unrelated screwup to the decision to kick the ball. Its just because those two happened so shortly after another that people want to connect dots where there barely are any.

Haven't read the full thread. Because he's Bill Belichick
He deferred before too and we won so in him I trust.

Basically what I'm sure most others have said: we know Bill Belichick isn't perfect but his resume speaks for itself. He's earned the benefit of the doubt, more than any coach in the history of the sport. That's why he gets a pass. Whether you think it was a smart call that didn't go our way, or whether you think he screwed up, if you're a Pats fan you get over it quickly because we are living in golden times for as long as Belichick is running this ship.

It would have been, just as bad had they taken the ball, gone 3 and out, and the Jets won on a FG after a short drive. I'm with Belichick, the stop was more likely.
I'm sure Brady was pissed. He's saying all the right thing and he's not going to throw his coach under the bus.

I'm sure Brady was pissed. He's saying all the right thing and he's not going to throw his coach under the bus.

I think Brady has complete faith in Belichick and understands why he made that decision, he's not like the fairweather fans who are always right and always know better than Belichick.

What happened in OT was NOT deferring. Deferring is only an option on the game-opening toss. (Or on the toss to start a post-season OT).

If Brady got injured Sunday due to more exposure in the pass game what would the Belichick bashers be saying then. Their position is rather foolish IMO ... theirs is a straw man opinion because we don't know what may have happened with a more open offense.

What if Brady is banged up himself .... we wouldn't know and I'd have to think he is to some extent ... otherwise he's simply not human. My eyes saw Gronk and Brady being protected by the coaches ... it was a fine line .... even White was protected as he was used sparingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe