PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why has Welker not been extended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Welker I'm sure there's a number NE would agree to before the season ends but it's likely to be really low (3/12 in new money to make a 4/15 total contract or something in that ballpark). I suspect they don't get a deal like that done and instead let him play out his now ridiculously team-friendly contract and offer him a reasonable contract if he's been healthy and productive.

That sounds much more like what you want them to offer than what the Patriots would actually offer. I can't imagine they would be stupid enough to deliberately lowball him so as to piss him off and encourage him to go FA. Do they want a good deal, of course, are they so stupid they offer a deal worth about half of what he would be willing to sign for? I sure hope not. If they made that offer and i were Welkers agent I would end discussions and let him know the Patriots no longer want his services and to go max out on the open market.

You either think Welker is a ****** or you just hate him as a player as you clearly have no understanding of his value to this team.

That sounds much more like what you want them to offer than what the Patriots would actually offer. I can't imagine they would be stupid enough to deliberately lowball him so as to piss him off and encourage him to go FA. Do they want a good deal, of course, are they so stupid they offer a deal worth about half of what he would be willing to sign for? I sure hope not. If they made that offer and i were Welkers agent I would end discussions and let him know the Patriots no longer want his services and to go max out on the open market.

You either think Welker is a ****** or you just hate him as a player as you clearly have no understanding of his value to this team.

Look, lets just agree that one of is is way, way off about his market value and his value to the team going forward, disagree about which of us is painfully wrong,and leave it at that because this discussion isn't going anywhere.

Look, lets just agree that one of is is way, way off about his market value and his value to the team going forward, disagree about which of us is painfully wrong,and leave it at that because this discussion isn't going anywhere.

I'm fine with that, let's leave it where it is and see what he ultimately signs for and where. If I'm wrong about his value and what he gets I'll have no problem admitting it when the facts are in.

This team needs to get more production from the outside wrs this year.

I think welker deserves at least $5million per year. His last contract was 5 for 15million. He definitely outplayed that contract. He has 2 to 3 good years left. The patriots can give him a 4yr/$25 million, 10-12 million in the first 2 years, they can cut him after 2 years or re-structure the contract.

The top wide receivers are getting like 9-10 million a year, so at $5million per year is not too much for welker.

Edelman is not the guy to replace welker, his hands are not as good and he has not shown he can take hits for consecutive games. Welker takes a punishment and still plays every game. Edelman barely plays, yet misses many games every year.

This team needs to get more production from the outside wrs this year.

Welker's presence aids that greatly. Welker is Brady's insurance against blitzes as he gets open instantly and requires teams to address the threat he poses inside. I would hate like hell to see Peyton Manning with Welker lined up in the slot as he would basically be impossible to get to.

I hope they will work it out. I am listening to 98.5 now and they are talking about Welker and Branch not coming back next season. I would not be happy. I know its a business but I was sad when Branch left and love that he is back and Welker has been so great with Brady. I am sure some other team would over pay him like maybe the Jets. That would make me ill.

\
Everybody is different. Ocho landed in "heaven" his deal is 1.5 3 3 ???

Welker loves it here. He would not be same WR w/o TFB and this offensive scheme. I don't see $$$ as an issue. He loves it here. If i were Brady I would make a pact w/ Welker (if it is legal) that he would get x amount of Million of dollars if he stay's w/ TFB for x amount of years:) The NFL doesn't need to know:)

Actually Solder, Ochocinco's due to make close to 5 million this yr. PFT has quoted multiple sources in the past week or two in regards to the situation. They even had an article that touched on the 'speculation' that he may be cut/released, and that it would be an expensive cut to the tune of 4.75 million for the Pats.

I certainly agree that all signs are pointing to Wes' happiness here, and that's just another reason why I think he'll stay for another few yrs after 2011.

I'm guessing anywhere from 5-6 million per yr x 3 yr extension, maybe even 6-6 1/2 per, but who knows? I do think that would be somewhere in the ballpark at least.

Last edited:
Welker has been beyond productive, but anytime a player suffers a severe knee injury like he had the organization is going to be hesitant to give Welker a long term deal that he wants. The 'Patriot Way' generally works and I would not worry about the market being to big for Welker, there are not to many systems that would use him how the Patriots do. Big receivers get paid. Small receivers generally have to wait. Look at the difficulty DeSean Jackson is having getting a contract with the Eagles and he has made a lot of big plays. I hope the Patriots keep Welker, but if they do not they will certainly find a way to replace his production.

I agree with you, and have noticed that you have a lot of insightful thoughts.

In defense of ShelterDog, everyone always has their own opinions, so I respect his just as well. I do however, agree that you are a lot closer to what it will take. My personal opinion, for whatever it's worth--is that we should be able to sign him somewhere in the middle of the two of your quotes. I think somewhere around 5-6 should be fair, although it may be a lot closer to 6. I think 6 is a nice fair number, considering his value to the team, and what he's been making. Hopefully it wouldn't take too much more than 6-6 1/2 per yr for about 3-4 more yrs.

I can only hope that he stays, as I think his value is underrated by many (surprisingly more than I thought). I hope that it's a nice, fair deal that proves Welker's "patriot way/spirit" that we all know he has. It would not only be a shame if it got ugly, but it'd be a terrible shame to lose him. His route changes/cuts and chemistry with Brady is simply remarkable in my opinion.

Welker has been beyond productive, but anytime a player suffers a severe knee injury like he had the organization is going to be hesitant to give Welker a long term deal that he wants. The 'Patriot Way' generally works and I would not worry about the market being to big for Welker, there are not to many systems that would use him how the Patriots do. Big receivers get paid. Small receivers generally have to wait. Look at the difficulty DeSean Jackson is having getting a contract with the Eagles and he has made a lot of big plays. I hope the Patriots keep Welker, but if they do not they will certainly find a way to replace his production.

I respectfully disagree. I think that there are some other teams who could just as easily use a slot guy with the pedigree that Welker brings. I will agree that his production would appear that it could take a hit somewhere else, but who knows? I could see a team like Indy using him to the same effect, or maybe he'd allow for a team to slightly change up their philosophy to utilize his skillset.

The DeSean Jackson situation will resolve itself too, and I believe it will be sooner rather than later--in other words, sometime this season. But Jackson is also more of an outside speedster, and comparable to those that make that kind of money on a regular basis. I believe Jackson will demand approx. 9 million or so a yr, and the Eagles system is based on utilizing him so they'll likely pay. I surely believe someone would pay him that on some team for sure. (I can't stand him personally. I don't care for those 'diva' like WR's at all. Moss included many times. I blamed Moss for everything..much of it unfair)

Actually Solder, Ochocinco's due to make close to 5 million this yr. PFT has quoted multiple sources in the past week or two in regards to the situation. They even had an article that touched on the 'speculation' that he may be cut/released, and that it would be an expensive cut to the tune of 4.75 million for the Pats.

I certainly agree that all signs are pointing to Wes' happiness here, and that's just another reason why I think he'll stay for another few yrs after 2011.

I'm guessing anywhere from 5-6 million per yr x 3 yr extension, maybe even 6-6 1/2 per, but who knows? I do think that would be somewhere in the ballpark at least.

I agree with the money and the terms. Welker's not going to get more than three years at his age and with his injury history. The 3 years at 15 to 18 million will be competitive with other suitors and even if he gets offered more money, does he really want to leave this system with this QB? Probably not.

So many teams have crappy QB situations and might offer big money to Welker to provide a stabilizing WR/slot receiver to help. Would Welker take $8 million per year to do that? Tough decision for Wes.

I'm not sure about that at all. He's 30 and he's taken a lot of hits and he's been pretty banged up. He's a slot receiver so he's relatively easy to replace (Edelman can do 75% of his job for about 20% of the cost), and his market value probably isn't all that high (who wants to spend big money on a 31 year old slot receiver?)

I figure they let him play out his contract and re-sign him on the cheap if he played well and stayed healty..

I am not one to bump old threads, but I am wondering do you still feel that Welker is easy to replace and Edelman can 75%?

I am not one to bump old threads, but I am wondering do you still feel that Welker is easy to replace and Edelman can 75%?

Nobody can honestly say they saw this coming from Welker. The most 20+ yard plays he's had in a season is 13. He has 11 in 4 games so far this season.

If this is how he plays in a contract year I don't think I want to extend him just yet :cool:

Nobody can honestly say they saw this coming from Welker. The most 20+ yard plays he's had in a season is 13. He has 11 in 4 games so far this season.

That's not the point. The poster said that Welker can be easily replaced, I am asking if he still feels that way.

That's not the point. The poster said that Welker can be easily replaced, I am asking if he still feels that way.

Right. But it's not fair to single out that poster, because every single poster was completely wrong on Welker so far, even those who thought he would put up a 120 catch season.

Right. But it's not fair to single out that poster, because every single poster was completely wrong on Welker so far, even those who thought he would put up a 120 catch season.

Yes it is fair, because he said Edleman can do 75% of what Welker can do. Also how are those who said he would put up 120 wrong? A lot of posters here were saying Welker should be extended and would put up 100+ catch season.

Guess Welker still hasn't proven he's 100% back from the knee injury. Definitely replaceable, Edelman can be just as good. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes