PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whose roster spot does Jeff Demps take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why couldn't the Pats stick Demps on the PUP list? Particularly if he didn't pass his conditioning run?? Could you show me where it says that he's ineligible for it?

I'm pretty sure it only works that way in the beginning of training camp. Show me a counterexample before getting all antagonistic.

Jeff Demps = Poor man's Devin Hester??:scared::D

I posted a list of players affected by Demps in the other thread. I think you can find the cut player from that list. Basically, as far as the roster spot cut...

FB
WR
RB
ST

Which specific player is likely never to be known.

For the record, I don't see Demps being the reason for Woodhead being cut/traded. If Woodhead were cut/traded, I'd expect that to be because the Patriots were happy with Vereen as the prime 3rd down back and Bolden as an integral part of the rotation.

The more I think about it the more I think Dennard could be the casualty. Edelman can play the last CB spot and has versatility that Dennard cannot bring. Dennard should clear waivers and i would think the Patriots have pull with him for drafting him when no one else would touch him. He has missed most of camp and unless he lands on IR he is in danger.

Why couldn't the Pats stick Demps on the PUP list? Particularly if he didn't pass his conditioning run?? Could you show me where it says that he's ineligible for it?

I'm all for it just because I'd love to see a guy labeled "Physically Unable to Perform" weeks after winning an Olympic silver medal. (yes, I know he wasn't on the actual 4 x 100 squad, but it's still funny).

I'm pretty sure it only works that way in the beginning of training camp. Show me a counterexample before getting all antagonistic.

Looks like someone is all touchy over the idea he may not know what he's talking about. Like I said, please show me in the CBA where he can't be put on the PUP list. You are the one who made the original statement that is in question.

Looks like someone is all touchy over the idea he may not know what he's talking about. Like I said, please show me in the CBA where he can't be put on the PUP list. You are the one who made the original statement that is in question.

Technically he probably can be PUPed but in terms of the recruiting battle for him that would be an odd outcome.

I'm all for it just because I'd love to see a guy labeled "Physically Unable to Perform" weeks after winning an Olympic silver medal. (yes, I know he wasn't on the actual 4 x 100 squad, but it's still funny).

I could see him pull a hamstring while trying to do the testing..

On a side note, does anyone know what he ran for his leg of the 4x100 during the 2nd qualifier since he replaced Mike Rogers, who broke his foot, yet STILL managed to finish his leg and help the US to qualify.

The more I think about it the more I think Dennard could be the casualty. Edelman can play the last CB spot and has versatility that Dennard cannot bring. Dennard should clear waivers and i would think the Patriots have pull with him for drafting him when no one else would touch him. He has missed most of camp and unless he lands on IR he is in danger.

The thing about Dennard is that he plays a position where a player is needed. Right now, we're looking at

Dowling
McCourty
Arrington
Moore

as the CBs. Bill would be insane to go into the season with just that group, IMO.

Now I love this signing, don't get me wrong, but some of this ball washing of Demps is just ******ing insane. Have any of you who are so ready to dump Woody in favor of this guy considered that he's over 5 months BEHIND everyone one else in getting prepared for a football season?! :eek: To all of you who want to immediately give him the 3rd down back position ever wonder if he is capable of blocking an NFL LB or DLman in protection. Do you even think there is even a slim possibility that over the next 12 days he can learn a complex offense that everyone else has be working on for the last 3 months,

GET A GRIP! Demps was signed to upgrade the KO return game. That's is within his short term capabilities. BTW- Just because Demps might take his KO return job on ST's, Woody also excelled in both Punt and KO coverage roles as well. His value to ST's might be diminished, but it didn't end.

I think it would be wise to at LEAST let this kid get to Foxboro and see if they can find a uniform small enough to fit him, before we anoint him the 2nd coming,. And lets see him have ONE run over 5 yds before we jettison a proven RB who has averaged that over the course of 2 full seasons and 174 carries.

Last edited:
I'd much rather keep Brace than Ihedigbo/fifth safety.

It's not like we have a surplus of fatties, anyway.

Absolutely, they have an abundance of ST players and Ihedigbo has no value at all as a safety. He and Brown may be the 2 worst safeties I have seen them field in a long long time. Neither made a play all season. If Brace actually made stridees this year then keeping him makes alot of sense. He has pretty much run out of chances, step up or he officially becomes a bust.

Why the assumption he gets a roster spot? Did they guaranty him a roster spot? Does BB usually keep a dedicated spot on the roster for a kick returner?

Now I love this signing, don't get me wrong, but some of this ball washing of Demps is just ******ing insane. Have any of you who are so ready to dump Woody in favor of this guy considered that he's over 5 months BEHIND everyone one else in getting prepared for a football season?! :eek: To all of you who want to immediately give him the 3rd down back position ever wonder if he is capable of blocking an NFL LB or DLman in protection. Do you even think there is even a slim possibility that over the next 12 days he can learn a complex offense that everyone else has be working on for the last 3 months,

GET A GRIP! Demps was signed to upgrade the KO return game. That's is within his short term capabilities. BTW- Just because Demps might take his KO return job on ST's, Woody also excelled in both Punt and KO coverage roles as well. His value to ST's might be diminished, but it didn't end.

I think it would be wise to at LEAST let this kid get to Foxboro and see if they can find a uniform small enough to fit him, before we anoint him the 2nd coming,.

Who said he should be the 3rd down back? I don't believe you can find one post saying that.

Why the assumption he gets a roster spot? Did they guaranty him a roster spot? Does BB usually keep a dedicated spot on the roster for a kick returner?

They just went after a guy that something like 20 teams had interest in. Assuming he's likely to get a roster spot seems like a reasonable position, IMO.

Technically he probably can be PUPed but in terms of the recruiting battle for him that would be an odd outcome.

Right. Why would the kid sign with the team that won't let him spend one single day on the practise field? Were I his agent I'd raise holy hell with the Pats were they to turn around and decide without a look that my client was on ice. And PUP only defers the inevitable decision on the 53.

I only give him the roster spot because of the recruitment of him over other teams. Did they guarantee it, no way, did they strongly indicate he will be on the team, most likely, at least imo.

The thing about Dennard is that he plays a position where a player is needed. Right now, we're looking at

Dowling
McCourty
Arrington
Moore

as the CBs. Bill would be insane to go into the season with just that group, IMO.

Deus I guess you missed BB's last season "just that group" staffing decisions at safety!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes