PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whose roster spot does Jeff Demps take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I love this signing, don't get me wrong, but some of this ball washing of Demps is just ******ing insane. Have any of you who are so ready to dump Woody in favor of this guy considered that he's over 5 months BEHIND everyone one else in getting prepared for a football season?! :eek: To all of you who want to immediately give him the 3rd down back position ever wonder if he is capable of blocking an NFL LB or DLman in protection. Do you even think there is even a slim possibility that over the next 12 days he can learn a complex offense that everyone else has be working on for the last 3 months,

GET A GRIP! Demps was signed to upgrade the KO return game. That's is within his short term capabilities. BTW- Just because Demps might take his KO return job on ST's, Woody also excelled in both Punt and KO coverage roles as well. His value to ST's might be diminished, but it didn't end.

I think it would be wise to at LEAST let this kid get to Foxboro and see if they can find a uniform small enough to fit him, before we anoint him the 2nd coming,. And lets see him have ONE run over 5 yds before we jettison a proven RB who has averaged that over the course of 2 full seasons and 174 carries.

Agreed, Demps has a long way to go to prove himself as valuable as Woodhead.

Right. Why would the kid sign with the team that won't let him spend one single day on the practise field? Were I his agent I'd raise holy hell with the Pats were they to turn around and decide without a look that my client was on ice. And PUP only defers the inevitable decision on the 53.

I think Belichick saw a real issue at KR and wants an explosive player there, as he demonstrated with B. Tate and his patience with him. I would guess they gave Demps agent a really strong indication he will be on the roster so they could get him and unless something strange happens he will be their kick returner this year. Now if he comes out and fumbles a couple times that could change in a hurry, but they must have done something to get him here.

I haven't seen anyone suggest anything like that. What was suggested was that if Vereen is really showing something and becomes the 3rd down back, and Demps is the KR then Woodhead, as good as he clearly is, D. Woodhead would have a diminished role.

Deus I guess you missed BB's last season "just that group" staffing decisions at safety!

I thought he was crazy then, too, and we know how that position turned out last year. :(

Please link to the posts where people said Demps would step right in and immediately be as valuable as Woodhead.

N
GET A GRIP! Demps was signed to upgrade the KO return game. That's is within his short term capabilities. BTW- Just because Demps might take his KO return job on ST's, Woody also excelled in both Punt and KO coverage roles as well. His value to ST's might be diminished, but it didn't end.

I think it would be wise to at LEAST let this kid get to Foxboro and see if they can find a uniform small enough to fit him, before we anoint him the 2nd coming,. And lets see him have ONE run over 5 yds before we jettison a proven RB who has averaged that over the course of 2 full seasons and 174 carries.

Great points, now if you can just find someone who said otherwise to have that argument with.

I believe Edelman is at greatest risk. He is presently last or next to last option as a reviever, and last as an emergengy back. His return skill are not spectacular or the team would not be looking for other options, remember BB has tried almost any one back there this camp. That leaves ST as his last redeaming quality and the options there are greatly improved this year. Simply a matter of diminishing returns, they have tilted the scales against his return

May be pick up a 7th or 6th for him...

Last edited:
How about Slater?...Is he safe?

They just went after a guy that something like 20 teams had interest in. Assuming he's likely to get a roster spot seems like a reasonable position, IMO.

The unique circumstances of his availability - after the draft and after the supplemental draft would presumably make all teams have some level of interest. The fact that other teams had interest in him shouldn't make him more roster worthy. If Woodhead was let go today, you can bet 31 teams would have some level of interest in him.

If he doesn't win the kick returner job what's his spot on the roster?

Slater's new contract extension signed this year might make that unlikely. I believe Edelman is in his last contract year. Big difference.

I believe Edelman is at greatest risk. He is presently last or next to last option as a reviever, and last as an emergengy back. His return skill are not spectacular or the team would not be looking for other options, remember BB has tried almost any one back there this camp. That leaves ST as his last redeaming quality and the options there are greatly improved this year. Simply a matter of diminishing returns, they have tilted the scales against his return

He's certainly at risk and those are good reasons why, but the more I think about it the more I think that it will be the 5th CB who is at risk, as Edelman can help there and contribute across the board. edelman is also their best PR and that's a huge role, and with K. Faulk unlikely to return that may save Edelman. I think it is all going to come down to how Belichick views his CB's, and how guys like Moore and Cole have fared in camp. Dennard is a likely PS candidate and Slater will lilely be listed as a WR. It is going to be really interesting to see how Belichick is going to put the final roster together.

As enjoyable as it is watching Jet fans twist in the wind over their offseason and current state of affairs, it is even more enjoyable to see just how strong a roster the Patriots have put together and the anguish over just who gets cut. And in all likelihood Belichick isn't even done.

The unique circumstances of his availability - after the draft and after the supplemental draft would presumably make all teams have some level of interest. The fact that other teams had interest in him shouldn't make him more roster worthy. If Woodhead was let go today, you can bet 31 teams would have some level of interest in him.

It is highly possible that the team would try to determine where he went via trade, even if it was as conditional 7th.

He just got finished with the Olympics. Any team pursuing him would know that he'll probably need time to get his body into football mode (lateral flexibility and upper body strength in particular). Knowing that, why would you expect any team to sign him without accepting the possibility that he might need more than 19 days (first game of NFL season) to be ready?

Please link to the posts where people said Demps would step right in and immediately be as valuable as Woodhead.

If people want to cut Woodhead and give his roster spot to Demps the presumption would be that Demps is more valuable to the Patriots than Woodhead is. I don't agree with that premise which is why I said he has a long way to go to prove he is more valuable than Woodhead, especially considering he hasn't even had one practice of NFL football yet.

Why you're adding "step right in" and "immediately" to your question is beyond me, because I never mentioned a time frame.

If people want to cut Woodhead and give his roster spot to Demps the presumption would be that Demps is more valuable to the Patriots than Woodhead is. I don't agree with that premise which is why I said he has a long way to go to prove he is more valuable than Woodhead, especially considering he hasn't even had one practice of NFL football yet.

Why you're adding "step right in" and "immediately" to your question is beyond me, because I never mentioned a time frame.

Your claim:

I'm asking for a link to anyone who thought differently, and that Demps would come in and be as valuable as Woodhead at the start. Without that, you're really just arguing against a strawman.

did anyone read my thread? This was a question of who's spot demps could take... I suggested woodhead, i did not however ask you to debate why not, i asked who else...

Last edited:

Actually the reasons had more to do with Vereen emerging as the 3rd down back coupled with Demps as KR, not that either is better as of today.

did anyone read my thread? This was a question of who's spot demps could take... I suggested woodhead, i did not however ask you to debate why not, i asked who else...

Most would rather critisize others opinions than put their own opinions out for scrutiny. Truely weak. But that is the way of the hidden trollers.

Last edited:

If the thread's just about tossing out names with no debating the "why not" about it, just post the entire current roster. It'll be one of them.

Last edited:
I think either we are carrying 5 in the backfield and Kettani is the guy who loses out (Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Demps, Bolden) or we are carrying 4 and Bolden goes to the PS.

Bolden is unlikely to get any reps anyway unless Ridley goes down at which point he'd be easily activated and I think receiving backs and ST players are more valuable to this team right now than a Ridley backup. BJGE spent his first season or so on the PS iirc so I don't see why Bolden is assured a spot on the 53 right out of the gate.

At this point I don't personally value the FB position unless you have an absolute stud manning it. Maybe that doesn't make me a football purist or whatever, but I don't see room for Kettani on this team at the expense of someone else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back