PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be the best RB in our division?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will be the best RB in our division?

• Ronnie Brown

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Laurence Maroney

Votes: 44 60.3%
  • Marshawn Lynch

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Thomas Jones

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • One of the backup RB or split time RBs

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That overwhelming in favor of Maroney huh? I have to admit, I chuckled when I saw that.

I really like T. Jones. In many ways he represents my "ideal" rb. I had hoped the Pats would trade for him prior to the 2006 draft, when it was rumored Chicago was asking for a 3rd and Indy was interested in acquiring him following E. James' departure. He is tough, charismatic, a workaholic, and can vary between a slasher and a grinder. His acquisition was a huge upgrade for the Jets, and I believe he has 2 elite years left. The combination of L. Washington and T. Jones is potent and scary. Fortunately, the Jets O-line is mediocre at best. I still see another 1200 yard year for him, barring injury. Still, he won;t be feasting on NFC retread defenses anymore, but battling Pittsburgh, Baltimore, NE, and Miami, all formidable fronts assuming age and new coaching won't damage several of those teams. M. Lynch is soft in the head and R. Brown showed up fat for minicamps. IMO L. Maroney has unlimited potential. Unfortunately, his offseason surgery may have hampered his workouts. I had hoped he would transform his body into a Thomas Jones' like machine this offseason, to become more of a wrecking ball in the lower body. Either way, barring injury he is the most talented back IMO in the AFC other than LT. Yes, I said it. Watch the tape of him before the injury catching passes vs. Green Bay and Chicago, tearing apart Cinci and Buffalo, etc. LJ is shot from too much work and lost the will to run following one memorable hit by Jamal Williams of SD on Sunday Night football. He left the game and wasn't the same the rest of the year. Sometimes you can just see it when a rb loses his will, like the air going out of a balloon. And once the will leaves it never comes back again. Jamal Lewis is a good example.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just STFU, pansy4ever.

Maroney > Ronnie.

Terrific justification! Elaborating is not required, don't worry. Random shouted statements proves a world of knowledge one posesses so you're good.

*Stay classy bro.*

Ok Aqua, here's your justification,

Maroney is younger, and despite splitting carries with Dillon and battling a nagging shoulder injury, was just 250 yards away from Brown for the season. Maroney also had less fumbles, less fumbles lost. Maroney has a better yards per carry and recpetion, also Maroney had a better yards after catch than Brown. On top of all this Maroney had to face safeties in the box as our recievers weren't exactly huge threats. Now in 2007, Maroney will have the benefit of a zone blocking scheme, wide recievers that spread the field, and turf.

Did I mention Maroney is more than THREE years younger?

Sorry you lose this one.

To be honest I voted for Maroney, but I think Marshawn Lynch should be getting way more votes. The Bills aren't anything special on offense, so they'll probably use Lynch a lot. He's a good inside runner, he's a good outside runner, and he's also a very good pass catcher. His ability to line up at WR and effectively run passing routes will make him a good overall threat.

My thoughts exactly. Losman is still suspect and other than Lee Evans they don't really have any threats in the passing game. They also signed Derrick Dockery from Washington who's a better run blocker than he is a pass blocker. Despite all of the turmoil, McGahee was ten yards shy of the 1,000 yard mark last season. Now they have a guy who wants to be there.

Ok Aqua, here's your justification,

Maroney is younger, and despite splitting carries with Dillon and battling a nagging shoulder injury, was just 250 yards away from Brown for the season. Maroney also had less fumbles, less fumbles lost. Maroney has a better yards per carry and recpetion, also Maroney had a better yards after catch than Brown. On top of all this Maroney had to face safeties in the box as our recievers weren't exactly huge threats. Now in 2007, Maroney will have the benefit of a zone blocking scheme, wide recievers that spread the field, and turf.

Did I mention Maroney is more than THREE years younger?

Sorry you lose this one.

250 yards is quite a bit. Also considering Ronnie missed 3 1/2 games. Had Ronnie played all 16 games, he would've had 1248 yards last season.

EDIT: I didn't know Ronnie's age a factor lol. Being in his mid 20s isn't really a concern for the 2007 season.

Last edited:
250 yards is quite a bit. Also considering Ronnie missed 3 1/2 games. Had Ronnie played all 16 games, he would've had 1248 yards last season.

Fair enough, Maroney also missed two games, and played two or three (I can't remember exactly) with the injury, what about my other points?

It is a good question, if I had to pick among them I would take Ronnie Brown. He is the biggest, fastest and the best receiver out of the big 3 (Maroney, Jones, Brown). Because Brown plays behind a 4th string QB and a 5th rate OL it is hard to gauge just how good he really is.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-RUSHING/2006/regular?&_1:col_1=5
Last year the Pats rushed for 1969 yards and the Jets rushed for 1738. The Pats running game is a bit worse than last year (Maroney coming off injury, Dillion retiring, more pass oriented) and Jets are a little better (O line has one more year of experience and Jones added to mix). So I would say the end up in the same range (1850-2000 yards rushing).

I think I voted for Brown, but looking at it more I think it will be Jones.

This division may end up having the division with the most talented group of Running Backs to ever come out of just 1 division in the NFL.

Which RB looks to have the BEST season of all of them?
(Be unbiased now please)

I am going with the Jets -Thomas Jones - This is,in my opinion the BIGGEST steal of the entire draft process -Yes,even bigger than the Randy Moss one.

This guy is a tank and a beast - PERFECT fit for what the Jets want to do - Expect 1,300 yards from Jones before the regular season ends.

Maroney I can see just surpassing 1,000 yards if he stays healthy - maybe only 800-1,000 if Sammy Morris comes on strong and splits duty time-actually I would prefer that if Morris is a productive back here like he was in Miami.
Did anybody else find this first line just ridiculous?
The best RB's out of one division EVER?:confused:

Not even the best division this year.
Look at the AFC West, L.T., L.J., Travis Henry, and whoever the Raiders throw out there, Lamont Jordan, or Bush if he is healthy, not to mention Micheal Turner who could start for alot of teams.

Anyways Maroney could look the best in terms of Yards Per Carry, With our passing game opening up the running game. The other three backs don't have anything close to that advantage as Maroney has.:rocker:

Did anybody else find this first line just ridiculous?
The best RB's out of one division EVER?:confused:

Not even the best division this year.
Look at the AFC West, L.T., L.J., Travis Henry, and whoever the Raiders throw out there, Lamont Jordan, or Bush if he is healthy, not to mention Micheal Turner who could start for alot of teams.

Anyways Maroney could look the best in terms of Yards Per Carry, With our passing game opening up the running game. The other three backs don't have anything close to that advantage as Maroney has.:rocker:

I don't know if that statement is so crazy,When you think there is a possibility that the 4 starting RBs in the division could combine for over 5,000 yards rushing makes it a potential to be right there as top dog,while I think Oakland will NOT have a 1,000 yard rusher,I think they will be a passing team this year,thats way they got Russell-not for his passing the ball off to a RB,but for his arm which will be very sore once the season is over for them-Expect Russell IF he becomes the starter and I expect him to -to throw for over 3,000 yards in his rookie campaign.

Maroney may have the best YPC but I am not convinced he will be on the field for a full schedule. Curran and others think his shoulder is worse that people think. There is a possibility that Maroney has the lowest yards out of this group, he won't be relied upon as much as the others.

EDIT: I didn't know Ronnie's age a factor lol. Being in his mid 20s isn't really a concern for the 2007 season.

Just pointing out Maroney is better at a much younger age. And that he still has a whole lot of potential.

When are you going to reply to my other points?

My thoughts exactly. Losman is still suspect and other than Lee Evans they don't really have any threats in the passing game.

Not necessarily disagreeing, but a point to ponder...

We have some people saying Maroney will show up huge because the Pats have so many weapons now that defenses won't be able to key on him.

We have other people saying that Lynch with show up huge because the Bills have so few weapons that he'll be the center of their offense.

while I really hope that it is Maroney, I had to go with Thomas Jones of the Jets.

I think he is undervalued and will prove to be a good addition for the Jets. Even though he makes the team better, they will have a worse record this year due to a harder schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe