PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots take back the division next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will the Patriots take back the division next season?

• Yes

• No but maybe in '23

• No, the Bills are going to win the division for at least 2-3 more seasons

• No, the Patriots will not win another division with Belichick as the HC

Results are only viewable after voting.

crawhammer

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This obviously is based on what we know now and what we're speculating for the future (given free agency and the draft will ultimately influence our impressions).

I have the Bills as clearly the best team in the division right now. Arguably they should be the AFC favorite for the Super Bowl. They have an elite quarterback and a top-3 offense in the NFL. They had the top-ranked defense in the NFL this season. They're in good shape roster-wise and with free agency. They were 6-1 against divisional opponents in '21 with the one loss coming in fluky conditions. They didn't punt against the Patriots for 8 straight quarters. Excluding kneel downs they scored on 12 of their last 13 possessions including touchdowns in the last 9 against the Patriots. The Patriots finished out the season 1-4 when they got lit up by Allen twice and couldn't stop the run in the other two losses. Their defense has more holes than their final rankings (#2 P/A & #4 Y/A) would suggest. Their offense needs a #1 receiver and probably a legitimately qualified OC. Overall Mac Jones had a good rookie season and he should improve with conditioning and a better supporting cast.

In '21 the Patriots were 3-8 against teams with a winning record and 7-0 against teams with a losing record.
In '21 the Bills were 6-6 against teams with a winning record and 6-1 against teams with a losing record.

Their 2022 Opponents...

New England Patriots

Home

Buffalo
Miami
NYJ
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Chicago
Detroit

Away
Buffalo
Miami
NYJ
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Las Vegas
Green Bay
Minnesota
Arizona

Buffalo Bills

Home

New England
Miami
NYJ
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Tennessee
Green Bay
Minnesota

Away
New England
Miami
NYJ
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Kansas City
Chicago
Detroit
LA Rams

My way early predictions for '22 are 10-7 for the Patriots and 13-4 for the Bills. My poll answer is the Bills are going to win the division for at least 2-3 more seasons.

Very early but for now I go with a prediction of 8 or 9 wins for 2022.

Lots of questions with the team including the coaching staff. The defensive collapse in the last month wasn't a fluke IMO. If it's true that Judon was nursing an injury that shows how thin they really are without him. Also a rookie QB losing an OC is a huge deal.

Assuming Jones is the real deal I think 2 good drafts ought to rebuild the defense and the trenches, and we're back in contention. TBD if we're also looking for a new head coach by that time. Bill said he doesn't want to coach into his 70's and I believe his outlook on that hasn't changed. If we need a new HC that will also complicate things.

Doubt it for next year, unless 13 seconds completely effs with buffalo and they fall off I still see them as possible afc favorites. So i say no but maybe in 23.

were most likely looking at another wild card until we can add a few more pieces to complete our rebuild . Hopefully get a better draw first round and catch fire at the right time.

Option 3 and 4 are basically the same, since I doubt Bill sticks around for more than 3 years, especially if they can't win the Division in that time.

Let's wait and see how the draft and free agency shake out for both teams.

Option 3 and 4 are basically the same, since I doubt Bill sticks around for more than 3 years, especially if they can't win the Division in that time.
doesn't stick around? wtf? the man is motivated by competition. you honestly think hes a "take my ball and go home" type of chuckle head because he "can't win a banner"?

doesn't stick around? wtf? the man is motivated by competition. you honestly think hes a "take my ball and go home" type of chuckle head because he "can't win a banner"?
He'll be 73 in 3 years. Again, I doubt he coaches that long.

That defense needs a complete rebuild. It's possible that it could be good in 2023, but not likely.

2-3 years. Next year we get a lot younger. 1-2 years after that if we nail draft after draft we can contend again.

Like predicting the weather, the safest forecast is the one that assumes the next day (season) will be like the present. However, there is always a high degree of variation, so I'll say that the Pats have maybe a twenty-five percent chance of unseating the Bills.

I mean Josh Allen can be scrambling and get hit hard enough to break his collar bone. You never know.

With Allen signing his recent extension, the Patriots, according to OTC, have significantly more cap space than the Bills over the next 3 years ($100,836,462) with a similar number of players signed over the same period.

I expect the offense to be more efficient and productive next year, even without dramatic changes at the skill positions, as Jones and the other 2021 new additions will learn and grow from their year in the system.

The Bills should be the clear favorite, but If the Pats can find a way to spend wisely and shore up their defense they will at least have a reasonable shot to win the east.

Last edited:
Yes, we'll be 16-1 wit hj a loss in Florida

No. Bills are the class of the division and have the Pats number. In fact, Pats lost twice to the freaking Dolphins. Their only division wins were against the Jest and a fluke wind game against the Bills.

Pats don't have enough firepower on offense to compete with the Bills in a shootout. Defense has a ton of holes despite homers pointing to their "ranking".

They absolutely will take it.
Unless they don't.
That's FACT.
C'mon Andy argue THAT.
Oh ****,wtf did I just do

The Patriots only needed one more win to have a tie record with the Bills. And you can play the (mostly useless) game of changing the one play that would've turned one of the L's into a W. Like Folk hitting the goal vs. Tampa or not fumbling in the first Miami game.

So the most charitable/kind look is that Harris hold on in Miami for one play and the 2021 Pats are tied with the Bills.

But, I know it looked terrible at the end and it was. BB will need to build a roster that doesn't punk out before the season is over.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back