PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who remember's Earl Campbell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone remember he did Skoal commercials? "Just a pinch between your cheek and gums"- one the greatest rb's ever!

Then [spying a girl in a bikini across the beach], "I think I'm gonna go play some TOUCH. See you later, Skoal brother."

I consider Barry Sanders the best RB I ever saw, but Earl Campbell a candidate for greatest, and definitely the one I most wanted to watch if his game was on TV. Earl Campbell and Bum Phillips --- the Golden Age.

Has anyone since him won league MVP three straight years?

Campbell was a beast, and I have two painful memories from 1978 of the Oilers and Campbell. The first was a regular season game in Foxboro with the Pats going up by 23-0 at the half. In the second half, the Oilers with Pastorini, Caster, and Campbell came roaring back to score 26 unanswered points while the defense held Grogan and the Pats to something like 43 yards in the second half.

The second memory was the defeat in the first round of the playoffs where Campbell and Pastorini again combined to beat the Pats in Foxboro. He was a weapon who could not be brought down and had over 100 yards.

i have not , infortunately, had the opportunity to see him playing but as far as i read he was an awesome player

i have not , infortunately, had the opportunity to see him playing but as far as i read he was an awesome player
Yea, you missed out.

Anybody remember Earl running Isiah Robertson over? Isiah was squared up and ready to hit em. Earl just popped him. This brings to mind Bo Jackson running over Bosworth. That was pretty similar. But I digress.

I loved Earl Campbell ... they were my adopted team back then and it was all because of Earl Campbell. Those thighs were huge and he would use them to shed blocks. Earl Campbell ... Billy "White Shoes" Johnson and Bum Phillips ... lots and lots of fun watching them play back then. They emulated their coach Bum Phillips which led to their success. A fast team in their day when fast was in its infancy as a team.

Lots of great players on that team:

Elvin Bethea ... HOF player who was real quick and nasty.
Curly Culp ... A tough in the trenches guard.
Tony Fritsch
Ken Kennard .... who was also tough as nails
Dan Pastorini ... not the greatest but he had a good arm
Rob Carpenter ... who was a decent runner himself.
Rich Caster ... TE & WR ... had a good long career.

Don't forget about#52 Robert Brazile AKA Dr. Doom. Great LB was a 7 time All Pro

"(Torgo's) got Earl Campbell thighs!" - MST3K

NO WAY?! He did skoal commercials? That's effin awesome. I have to somehow find those. My favorite player, my favorite postgame activity. Yes! Thank you for this tidbit...now to call all my teamates...

Then the Girl goes by and he says "I think I'll go play some touch"-edit see you got that first, Shaka

I was in elemetary school and had a Oilers ring that they sold at Sears. They had all the teams. One of those things you do as a kid. I wore that ring like a Super Bowl ring for a couple of years hoping they would go all the way. I had a green stain on my finger from that thing.

It was sad watching Earl's career end. No more of those beautiful runs.

Last edited:
I remember the Miami game were he ran for what 200+ yards. He was unstoppable. Its a shame what has happened to him,and even more shameful that the NFL, and players association allows it to continue.

When I see what has happened to players like E Campbell, J Otto, and J Mackey, it makes me wonder if NFL should allow Steroids and HGH under a doctors supervision, if it can help players recover from the beating they take week in and week out. HGH helps the joints egenerate, adn steroids in small quantities help with muscle recovery. These drugs under a doctors supervision could help players like this from being crippled later in life.

When I see what has happened to players like E Campbell, J Otto, and J Mackey, it makes me wonder if NFL should allow Steroids and HGH under a doctors supervision, if it can help players recover from the beating they take week in and week out. HGH helps the joints egenerate, adn steroids in small quantities help with muscle recovery. These drugs under a doctors supervision could help players like this from being crippled later in life.

No kidding, I had some dental work done last year and the oral surgeon used a synthetic bone with growth hormone in it. He mentioned it matter of factly and I suppose that I could have opted against it but it seems like it is routine these days.

Sad to hear he is in such bad shape, but considering he was the hardest running RB I have ever seen. He literally ran with no regard for his body, I am not suprised.

I idolized him and Payton growing up.

I also loved those old oiler teams and the old Oiler song:

"Houtson Oilers, Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers #1"

Last edited:
Couple of things:

1) those Youtube clips are awesome !! Who do you think is most like him in todays game?

2) OT:
Then [spying a girl in a bikini across the beach], "I think I'm gonna go play some TOUCH. See you later, Skoal brother."

Some Ad -Man has to be proud that we remember that exact commerical after all these years with just the mention of Earl Campbell.

He cost me $100.00 the year he played the Patriots Red Sea Defense. He was running for over 100 yards on everybody that year so I bet a guy I worked with that he would break 100 yards on a Pats D that couldn't stop anybody.

Earl Campbell ran for 99 yards that day.

I thought that was Nolan Cromwell on that play, but I'm likely wrong.

My favortie memory of Earl was on a Thanksgiving game day against Dallas, when Dallas was one of the top two or three teams in the league. Earl tore up the favored Cowboys for 200+ yards. The flex defence was fearsome, but Earl shredded it, and the Oilers won the game. It was the most awe-inspiring performance by a running back I've ever seen. Earl is #1 in my book and will always remain so. I never saw a better running back compared to Earl when he was in his prime. Completely unstoppable.

This one shows more of that Monday night game in which Campbell singlehandedly beats Miami. It even has Howard Cosell. Campbell's famous 80 yard run is at 3:37.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm1hK_4ky1o

I saw a TV documentary about Campbell and his condition about 3 years ago. Really sad. Old Packer Jerry Kramer does a lot of stumping for a group that raises money for retired NFLers, called Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund. I hope it's not the one that got the notoriety lately about almost none of the money going to needy ex players. I don't think it is.

Wow, what a powerhouse he was. An all time great!

I remember him well,he was an awesome RB,the Oilers and the Steelers used to have some great battles.I always pulled for the Oilers,that is when they werent playing the Pats...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST