PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Not Named Barwin Will We Draft at 23?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have excluded the board binkie. Let us presume that if Belichick really wants Barwin, he will get him at 34 or trade up from 34 to get him.

Heyward-Bey......he could have a more imediate impact than any player we could draft. That speed would look great oposite Moss and keeping safeties deep for Welker.

Last edited:
Jarron Gilbert
Louis Delmas

Heyward-Bey......he could have a more imediate impact than any player we could draft. That speed would look great oposite Moss and keeping safeties deep for Welker.

is this correct. my understanding of bey is that he has all the tools necessary to be great, but is raw and needs time to mature

I don't want Heyward-Bey at all. My short list:

1. William Beatty OT - most likely candidate, as potential franchise left OT's don't last.
2. Hakeem Nicks WR - I like him much more than Heyward-Bey, but I don't really want a WR at 23
3. Rey Maualuga ILB - I'm not convinced he is a 3-down SILB, but if BB thought so and he lasted to 23 he could be justified
4. Louis Delmas S - great player, but with several solid safety prospects and all our 2nd round picks not sure we would reach this high for him
5. Robert Ayers DE/LB - same as with Maualuga, if BB thought he could play SILB he might be justified here, though it's a reach

I wouldn't be surprised to see a slight trade up for Maualuga

I'd be shocked.

With all the stockpiled draftpicks, Belichick is in the enviable position of being able to target players he believes fit the system.

I'm no scout, and may be caught up in his hype..but I think Maualuga could be the intimidating presence this team needs.... and has the skills to be a very good 3 down LB in this system.

OT - beatty,britton
OLB - maybin,english
ILB - lauranaitis, maualuga
WR - bey, nicks
DL - jackson

more and more, I see the pats moving this pick

What about one of the DEs/OLB such as Ayers, Johnson, or Jackson...

Mr. Oher would make a fine addition to the team.

mark my words...Brandon Pettigrew TE

not who I would take, but just feels like a pats move to me.

Then they will probably follow that up with a couple of offensive lineman. As usual everyone will say what the F...and then they win the superbowl.

So where Nut uses the beating heart, mgteich goes with "he who shall not be named"? ;)

OK, running through the suggestions so far...

Hakeem Nicks is a great prospect, and Heyward-Bey has exciting potential in part because he has a vastly better head on his shoulders than the 2nd-round-speed-demons-who-shall-not-be-named. But there are a bunch of good receivers in this draft, the position is hard to project, and I don't see good value there.

I really like Louis Delmas & Sean Smith, but players like Chung, Vaughn, Johnson & Moore would be fine consolation prizes at safety, and Springs & Bodden make a big CB/S less of a dramatic upgrade than previously. So neither at 23.

Maualuga's sure to be gone, Laurinaitis is lousy value, Matthews is too small and hasn't made enough football impact for round 1, and Cushing just doesn't seem like enough of a football player.

Maybin needed another year in college, English & Ayers have questionable round-1 athleticism.

So I keep coming back to linemen, who always rise to the top on draft day. OG/C runs deep into round 3. At OT, Beatty & Britton figure to be the two the Pats might have a shot at, and Britton doesn't really fit the Pats OL profile. I don't see any NT candidates, but Jackson & Gilbert are rare bodies for DE.

Ergo: William Beatty, Jarron Gilbert, Tyson Jackson.

But isn't it interesting how many names are in play? It's shaping up to be a mighty unpredictable draft.

So where Nut uses the beating heart, mgteich goes with "he who shall not be named"? ;)

OK, running through the suggestions so far...

Hakeem Nicks is a great prospect, and Heyward-Bey has exciting potential in part because he has a vastly better head on his shoulders than the 2nd-round-speed-demons-who-shall-not-be-named. But there are a bunch of good receivers in this draft, the position is hard to project, and I don't see good value there.

I really like Louis Delmas & Sean Smith, but players like Chung, Vaughn, Johnson & Moore would be fine consolation prizes at safety, and Springs & Bodden make a big CB/S less of a dramatic upgrade than previously. So neither at 23.

Maualuga's sure to be gone, Laurinaitis is lousy value, Matthews is too small and hasn't made enough football impact for round 1, and Cushing just doesn't seem like enough of a football player.

Maybin needed another year in college, English & Ayers have questionable round-1 athleticism.

So I keep coming back to linemen, who always rise to the top on draft day. OG/C runs deep into round 3. At OT, Beatty & Britton figure to be the two the Pats might have a shot at, and Britton doesn't really fit the Pats OL profile. I don't see any NT candidates, but Jackson & Gilbert are rare bodies for DE.

Ergo: William Beatty, Jarron Gilbert, Tyson Jackson.

But isn't it interesting how many names are in play? It's shaping up to be a mighty unpredictable draft.

WOW!! Hard to argue with any of that logic.

With all the stockpiled draftpicks, Belichick is in the enviable position of being able to target players he believes fit the system.

I'm no scout, and may be caught up in his hype..but I think Maualuga could be the intimidating presence this team needs.... and has the skills to be a very good 3 down LB in this system.
I'm no scout either, but I offer that even excluding the fact that he's more side-to-side than downhill and looks like he's on rollerskates near a blocker (and I've never seen him protect himself from a cut block, he face plants beautifully, from an old lineman's perspective ;) ), there has to have been a rather large black mark placed against his name from a NE perspective when he showed up for the Senior Bowl out of shape, then followed that up with an unimpressive Combine. Besides running a slow 40 and pulling his hamstring, he failed to make a qualifying broad jump on multiple attempts - he always landed off balance - and even then he was barely making 8 feet. No explosion, which means he needs to get up a head of steam to make a big hit.

is this correct. my understanding of bey is that he has all the tools necessary to be great, but is raw and needs time to mature

You are right about him being raw....I was more referring to him having a role with this team rather then him being a polished talent. I just think #3 WR is a hole on this team that will allow whoever wins that role to get significant PT where anyother Position might be a back up and not have the same PT.

I think Bethel Johnson hopefully without the bust but I remember Bethel came in and made some big plays his rookie year based on his speed alone and than never matured to the WR we hoped....I think we could use Heyward-Bey's speed alot and I dont expect bust out of anyone drafted with our coaches (of course some will but why think that way)

You are right about him being raw....I was more referring to him having a role with this team rather then him being a polished talent. I just think #3 WR is a hole on this team that will allow whoever wins that role to get significant PT where anyother Position might be a back up and not have the same PT.

I think Bethel Johnson hopefully without the bust but I remember Bethel came in and made some big plays his rookie year based on his speed alone and than never matured to the WR we hoped....I think we could use Heyward-Bey's speed alot and I dont expect bust out of anyone drafted with our coaches (of course some will but why think that way)
Greg Lewis has the deep speed, Heywood-Bey would be interesting and I've read good things about him, but I'd really rather have a player who hasn't been able to dominate with his speed and has to use his routes, fakes, and body position to get open - he's had to work at it more.

Larry English -olb
Alex Mack-center
Evander Hood-de

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand