PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who might not be here next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Who's stayin and who's goin?

Well since the off-season is here, I went ahead and took a look at who the FA were for the Patriots in 2011, it made me think of who would be on the team next year. Here are the 2011 FA, according to Kffl.com.

RB: [Thomas Clayton], [Kevin Faulk], [BenJarvis Green-Ellis], [Sammy Morris], [Fred Taylor]

I don't know if Clayton will be practice squad eligible again, but if he is, I am sure he will stick around.

Kevin Faulk, in MY eyes has played his last game as a New England Patriot, one of the greatest 3rd down backs of all time imo, but with the emergence with Woodhead, being younger, more effective, AND cheaper, no chance for KF. He BARELY made it back this year on a 1-year contract.

Lawfirm, he's coming back. No if's ands or but's about it. The only way he would not be back next year was if the Patriots Franchised him, then traded him to the Raiders for their first round pick. :)

Sammy Morris is another one that I think will have some serious thinking to do. I mean, he was a hell of a player, especially in 2008 when Maroney went down and he was thrust into the role of starting RB. He sure had the shoulder to plow through guys and ALWAYS played until the whistle blew, to be honest I wouldn't mind seeing him come back, he was a fantastic ST player as well. Truthfully I don't know if he will make it back here but I sure hope he does.

Fred Taylor, Mr. illusion himself, so far back in 2009 AND in 2010, he has had GREAT pre-season games and even starts out great in week 1 and 2 but by the time week 4 comes around, he's hurt. You can't say he doesn't have still have juice left and a couple of moves still left, you see him fighting for every yard and that's GREAT but is he worth a roster spot for 5 games tops? Not in my eyes, maybe bring him back for ONE year, but he is another person I don't see coming back to NE, and i'm not to disappointed about that but I am sure he might be.

PK: [Shayne Graham]

Graham seemed like he had a GREAT year with the Pats, did he even miss? I think I remember him missing an extra point once but that was it. He's most likely not coming back but anything is possible. I just feel as if when Gostkowski kicked he would either miss then make the next 5 or 6 in a row or just keep on makin em until he missed one when it didn't even really matter if he made it or not. With Graham I feel as if I were always on my toes BUT he ALWAYS delivered. Now that he has been with the Patriots once, I think if he stays on the market a return could be likely, if either Stephen gets hurt or starts to become expendable. His Kickoff's were god awful though. LOL

Offensive Linemen: [Matt Light] [Quinn Ojinnaka] [Logan Mankins]

Matt Light NEEDS to be re-signed, he may show some wear and tear from time to time, but he has ALWAYS been a consistent player and has never been very outspoken regarding his contract situation, he played it out, it would do justice to re-sign him. IMO he's 50/50. I hope he comes back though.

Quinn Ojinnaka will probably be re-signed, Pats gave up a pick for him, would not be surprised either way.

Logan Mankins, SHOULD be back, despite all that holdout nonsense, it should be a # 1 priority to re-sign him. He showed that he is worth the money, played his remaining games, DEFINITELY boosts up the line. IMO, he should be back. He seems to be a BB favorite so hopefully it gets done.

Defensive Lineman: [Gerrard Warren]

Warren played great this season for the Pats, was able to create pressure under certain circumstances, it would be a good idea to bring him back for a year or 2. He seems like another 50/50 guy.

Linebacker: [Tracy White]

EXCELLENT ST player, VERY CONSISTENT, plus he's another player the Pats gave up a draft pick for. I would be very shocked not to see White back next year.

Defensive Backs: [Kyle Arrington] [Josh Barett] [Brandon McGowan]

Kyle Arrington deserves to be back next year, he's a solid player, reminds me a lot of Ellis Hobbs but slightly better in coverage. If Bodden or McCourty ever need a break, I would trust Kyle Arrington to get the job done, not a full time starter in my eyes but a GREAT 1 or 2 down player. Hope he is back. 75% chance he is back imo.

Josh Barett, still don't understand why the Patriots claimed him, unless they decide to get rid of McGowan or Meriweather, I don't see him coming back, or he's going to be on the practice squad.

Brandon McGowan, the guy that shuts down TE's like no other. I think he deserves another year or 2 as well, not a full time starter as a FS but a great player nonetheless. He's another one though in my eyes that's 50/50, but it would be wise to bring him back.

Last year, there were a good chunk of steady AND great FA, Wilfork and Bodden just to name examples, we re-signed them and that proved to be better than thrusting young guys into fit those roles. I think this year needs to do the EXACT same thing.

What are your Ideas or Opinions?

Re: So Who's stayin and who's goin?

if I had to guess for RBs, Faulk, Morris and Taylor are all gone. Of the three, Faulk is IMO the most likely to stick around. Until Woodhead's pass blocking gets significantly better, I won't trust him on third down in obvious passing situations.

Last edited:

Benny, Light, Ojinaka, Mankins, Warren, White, Arrington, and one of McGowan and Barrett.

Faulk, Taylor and Morris are away IMO. I'd like to keep Clayton as a 4th RB on the roster. If we pick up a RB in the draft, we'll have Woody, BJGE, Clayton and the draft pick (I'd like Ingram).

Mankins is priority 1 to be resigned. I'd like to see Light back but moved across to RT and Vollmer moved to LT. Ojinnaka I'd like to see be resigned even though he didn't play much.

Warren should be resigned, had a good season next to Wilfork.

Arrington and McGowan over Barrett (pointless signing him).

Last edited:

How about potential players under contract that may be going? If Light is re-signed it could spell the end for Kaczur. Vollmer and Connolly both have stepped up and proven themselves. Kaczur has a large cap savings if cut, while having a significant back injury and former drug problem. I'm not saying I dont want him on the team, it's all hypothetical, but he doesn't have a lot going for him.

Last edited:

How about potential players under contract that may be going? If Light is re-signed it could spell the end for Kaczur. Vollmer and Connolly both have stepped up and proven themselves. Kaczur has a large cap savings if cut, while having a significant back injury and former drug problem. I'm not saying I dont want him on the team, it's all hypothetical, but he doesn't have a lot going for him.

I think Kaczur sticks around as a 4-position backup. According to PatsCap, it's only $1.75M savings. As long as his back is in good shape, I think he'll be here.

Barrett was signed off waivers primarily for his potential on Special Teams. I recall reading that he has the size/speed/temperment to be a beast. Worth a flier...

Put me down for all of Light/Mankins/Koppen/Vollmer/Kaczur staying. Neal? Who knows? (It depends on his health projections.) The rest have to fight to keep their jobs, although I'd bet on Connolly to succeed.

DL is a bit of logjam too, in that all of the following probably stay:

• Wilfork
  • T. Warren
  • G. Warren
  • Brace
  • Wright (but only if his health permits)
  • Deaderick
  • Love
  • Hypothetical high-pick rookie

Hopefully, that's 8, which is a bunch, and hence is bad news for Pryor and other late-pick guys.

Moore sure looks like a keeper at OLB. I'm guessing BB stands pat at that position, to the yowls of those who point out how lame our pass rushing has all too often looked.

Safety is another logjam. I have to think McGowan and Page are competing for one roster spot, and Sergio Brown is living on the bubble.

Another CB could come in, which might be bad news for Wilhite.

Faulk is an essential backup to Woodhead (at worst). Maybe the shadow roster suffices for him, but I'm still guessing he'll be in camp and probably make the team.

Last edited:

Defensive Backs: [Kyle Arrington] [Josh Barett] [Brandon McGowan]

Josh Barett, still don't understand why the Patriots claimed him, unless they decide to get rid of McGowan or Meriweather, I don't see him coming back, or he's going to be on the practice squad.

People were all over Slater when he was injured during the preseason but then he led the team in Special Team tackles. Barrett is the same. Look at the starting field position in the JETS playoff game - I think Barrett makes the team.

On a side note, if Faulk and Light are both gone, then that'll be a sad day for the Pats. Won't that make Brady only remaining holdover from the '01 team?

Also, re: the d-line, I would be pretty nervous right now if I was Ron Brace or Myron Pryor. They have a lot riding on Mike Wright's health.

Last edited:

PK: [Shayne Graham]

Graham seemed like he had a GREAT year with the Pats, did he even miss? I think I remember him missing an extra point once but that was it. He's most likely not coming back but anything is possible. I just feel as if when Gostkowski kicked he would either miss then make the next 5 or 6 in a row or just keep on makin em until he missed one when it didn't even really matter if he made it or not. With Graham I feel as if I were always on my toes BUT he ALWAYS delivered. Now that he has been with the Patriots once, I think if he stays on the market a return could be likely, if either Stephen gets hurt or starts to become expendable. His Kickoff's were god awful though. LOL

FWIW, remember that they decided to give Gostkowski the largest contract anyone other than Al Davis has ever given to a kicker/punter. Think about what that says about Gostkowski.

I think Light stays (provided he doesn't demand big money) and the Pats sign Mankins.

I can't see Faulk recovering from that injury at his age (his first year back would not be full speed, and that may be his only year). Morris was used sparingly and Taylor never really hit the field. I expect there will be plenty of new RBs.

I have a feeling Merriweather will not be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News