PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Is Satisfied With Our Secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that it is worth $4M a year for a player who will be on the field as much as many starters. I don't think that paying Arrington $4M a year indicates that Belichick would feel comfortable with him starting on the outside, although he is likely to consider this possibility more favorably than posters here do.

In the end, much will depend on how the draft goes and how Belichick has the corners and wide receivers rated. In both cases, there are about a dozen with rankings in the top 3 rounds.

For all the tale of this being a good draft for safeties, the pickings seem much slimmer. Cyprien or Elam may be difficult to pass up.

While I agree with this thought and our only difference of opinion has been when to take a CB/S, how does anyone explain giving 4 million AAV to what we as fans perceive to be our slot/star CB?

It would seem to me that Belichick practically expects Arrington to take some reps as an outside starter, given the specific contract. We as fans however, do not want to see this--therefore we aren't counting him as a potential starter. Belichick, on the other hand, seems to be.

In the end, much will depend on how the draft goes and how Belichick has the corners and wide receivers rated. In both cases, there are about a dozen with rankings in the top 3 rounds.

For all the tale of this being a good draft for safeties, the pickings seem much slimmer. Cyprien or Elam may be difficult to pass up.

That is pretty much exactly my theory for not choosing a CB until at least our 3rd pick, whenever that may be due to a possible tradedown.

As you say, certain positions are obvious "needs" for the current and/or future, but there are also certain positions like WR and CB that are much deeper than the others.

If Belichick sees a DE or another best player available, I am expecting him to take him, even though I feel that we should definitely take a WR and CB within the top 3-4 rounds for sure.

In other words, the depth of these positions may allow him to gamble a bit and address BPA while still assuring himself of choosing the positions that we need.

Of course all bets are off when you have a draft as unpredictable as this yr's and parlay that with the likes of Bill Belichick.

Since the pass coverage from our LBs is questionable, it would be nice to skip over nickel defenses and go straight to a big dime -- i.e., 6 DBs, at least one of whom can convincingly imitate a light LB.

I refer, of course, to Adrian Wilson, as well as Rodney in the past and perhaps Tavon in the future.

The other needs are 3 CBs who can play, which we have; 2 cover safeties who can play, of which we have 1 (unless you like Gregory); and backups, where we are OK at safety (that well you should like Gregory and the Wilsons) but questionable at CB (the number of snaps for which Dowling has played well in the NFL is low, in that the total number of snaps he has played is low).

I'm confused by your statement.

The BPA is quite likely to be a defensive back: Hayden, Rhodes, Trufant and Elam come to mind. It is unlikely that the BPA will be a wide receiver.

I suggest that Werner or Sylvester Williams are likely to picked of they are available.

If we like none of those listed above who might be available, then we will desparately try to trade down with someone who wants to guarantee their choice of quarterback. Obviously, PHIL is the most likely partner.

In other words, the depth of these positions may allow him to gamble a bit and address BPA while still assuring himself of choosing the positions that we need.

I would use a 1st for Rhodes or Trufant if they were there. That would be significant on passing downs to add one of them into the mix. If they shine in their first year you could let Talib walk without giving out insane money.

I would only use one of the top 3 picks on a DB if the value presented itself.....

29 would mean a guy like vaccaro or milliner
59 would mean jonathan banks or DJ hayden

Who Is Satisfied With Our Secondary?

Since nobody will volunteer I will, with a proviso. That Ras-I stays healthy. IMHO, We would then have the best secondary since the early 2000s, when Ty Law was roaming in the Pats secondary. :snob:

I would add Hayden to this list. The question is whether Trufant and/or Elam should be added.

I would use a 1st for Rhodes or Trufant if they were there. That would be significant on passing downs to add one of them into the mix. If they shine in their first year you could let Talib walk without giving out insane money.

there was one article saying raiders are looking at hayden at #3? HAHA

I would add Hayden to this list. The question is whether Trufant and/or Elam should be added.

I would be seriously pissed if they used a first on Elam, if they want to take him late second that's fine but a first would be a complete waste of the pick. Vaccaro is the only safety i would use a first on.

I'm confused by your statement.

The BPA is quite likely to be a defensive back: Hayden, Rhodes, Trufant and Elam come to mind. It is unlikely that the BPA will be a wide receiver.

I suggest that Werner or Sylvester Williams are likely to picked of they are available.

If we like none of those listed above who might be available, then we will desparately try to trade down with someone who wants to guarantee their choice of quarterback. Obviously, PHIL is the most likely partner.

I'm not sure where I confused you, but my point was that I think there are certain positions that are obviously deeper than others, and that's why I didn't personally feel that a CB pick was necessarily needed in the first 2 rounds.

As I said, I definitely think that both WR and CB are obvious choices in the first 3-4 rounds--without a doubt, but I also felt there was the possibility of a BPA pick from positions of lesser depth in the first couple of rounds. The potential of a pick in the trenches was a possibility in my mind.

Of course the point is moot anyway due to the fact that Belichick likely wouldn't have chosen anyone with the deal that MIN offered.

Or one WR, one DB, one pass-rushing DLineman and one coverage OLB.

Part 1 complete: we now have 4 top-100 picks. I still think that CB will be the first pick,
be it at 52 or elsewhere.

We have half a secondary, besides A. Wilson and Talib....the rest has been mediocre, the signing of Arrington and the passing of drafting Elam or another S-CB boggles the (*Y(*&)(*&)(*&*)(*_) MIND> :mad::mad::bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back