PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is 3rd position receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourthandmiles

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I have not seen anyone mention this yet. Tate was injured and left the game. It looked like anyone with wheels lining up wide. Faulk and Aiken mostly from what I could tell. I was at the game and have not seen a replay yet. Can someone tell me what was going on with that 3rd spot?

While Faulk is a fine receiver he is not a typical #3 and he will be missed in the back field for his blocking. Not sure Aiken is the answer out there. Does this mean Nunn gets his first playing time?

I have not seen anyone mention this yet. Tate was injured and left the game. It looked like anyone with wheels lining up wide. Faulk and Aiken mostly from what I could tell. I was at the game and have not seen a replay yet. Can someone tell me what was going on with that 3rd spot?

While Faulk is a fine receiver he is not a typical #3 and he will be missed in the back field for his blocking. Not sure Aiken is the answer out there. Does this mean Nunn gets his first playing time?

Nunn isn't on the roster.

Aiken...last time I checked Nunn wasn't promoted from the practice squad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nunn isn't on the roster.

He has a window of one more week, before either staying active or going onto IR. I wonder what the likely move is.. considering his injury (which occured in the area of his ACL-repaired knee) has kept him out of practice lately.

EDIT: I am speaking of BRANDON TATE. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
He has a window of one more week, before either staying active or going onto IR. I wonder what the likely move is.. considering his injury (which occured in the area of his ACL-repaired knee) has kept him out of practice lately.
Nunn got injured? :eek:

Nunn is on the practice squad. Any report of him being on PUP or NFI is inaccurate.

You are thinking of Brandon Tate, who had an ACL injury and came off the PUP weeks ago.

Last edited:
Maybe he's referring to Brandon Tate, who was on the PUP/inactive list, but has been active since the Bucs game.

Maybe he's referring to Brandon Tate, who was on the PUP/inactive list, but has been active since the Bucs game.

Right, I think he got confused. But it's not the first time I've heard "Nunn" and "PUP" together - I think someone had a false report somewhere along the line.

The roster exemption ended when he was made active. He's part of the 53.

Assuming you mean Brandon Tate, that is.

I believe Nunn got a small injury at the start of the season (possibly in final pre-season game) which he carried into the start of the season.

But, AFAIK he has been fine since then and was jumping around on the sideline at Wembley with Tate and Stanbeck.

The roster exemption ended when he was made active. He's part of the 53.

Assuming you mean Brandon Tate, that is.

Right, Tate is off the PUP and has been for three weeks. Any talk of a "window" is over. He has the same roster status as Tom Brady or Randy Moss.

Last edited:
Right, I think he got confused. But it's not the first time I've heard "Nunn" and "PUP" together - I think someone had a false report somewhere along the line.

I was referring to Brandon Tate and did not realize I had put down "he" in lieu of the name.

Again my apologies.

Right, Tate is off the PUP and has been for three weeks. Any talk of a "window" is over. He has the same roster status as Tom Brady or Randy Moss.

Ok, I didn't realize the three weeks have already expired. Time flies.

I was referring to Brandon Tate and did not realize I had put down "he" in lieu of the name.

Again my apologies.

Still, what you said wasn't accurate. The PUP/NFI (only difference is that you can go on NFI at any point...see Richard Collier after his shooting in September) rule is that you miss the first six weeks of the season; you then have a 3-week period to start practicing; once you start practicing, you have another 3-week period to be activated to the 53-man roster. If any of those periods expires, then you stay on PUP for the rest of the season (effectively IR).

In Brandon Tate's case, he was on NFI for the first six weeks of the season. He began practicing on the Tuesday of Week 7 (Bucs). He had three weeks to be activated (Weeks 7-10), but the Patriots decided to activate him (and LeVoir) before Week 7. He played in the Bucs and Dolphins games. He was injured returning a kickoff in the Dolphins game, and has thus missed practice this week.

There is no more "window" for Tate anymore, he's part of the roster like everyone else.

Ok, I didn't realize the three weeks have already expired. Time flies.

No. Tate was already started practicing, one week into the three-week window. He then was activated to the 53-man roster.

Once Tate plays in a game any talk of a "window" is over. He has now played in two games for the Patriots.

I think you're confusing "starting practicing" with "activate." Tate has already done both. Weeks ago.

Last edited:
Still, what you said wasn't accurate. The PUP/NFI (only difference is that you can go on NFI at any point...see Richard Collier after his shooting in September) rule is that you miss the first six weeks of the season; you then have a 3-week period to start practicing; once you start practicing, you have another 3-week period to be activated to the 53-man roster. If any of those periods expires, then you stay on PUP for the rest of the season (effectively IR).

In Brandon Tate's case, he was on NFI for the first six weeks of the season. He began practicing on the Tuesday of Week 7 (Bucs). He had three weeks to be activated (Weeks 7-10), but the Patriots decided to activate him (and LeVoir) before Week 7. He played in the Bucs and Dolphins games. He was injured returning a kickoff in the Dolphins game, and has thus missed practice this week.

There is no more "window" for Tate anymore, he's part of the roster like everyone else.

Ok.. gotcha. Didn't realize that once he is activated, the window is closed.

Ok.. gotcha. Didn't realize that once he is activated, the window is closed.

By activated, you do mean "activated to the 53-man roster," right? Because once he is "activated" to practice, there is a three-week window. But once he is placed on the 53-man roster and eligible to play in a game, he's as much a part of the roster as Brady or Moss.

I just find it hard to believe that you thought PUP players could be on the 53-man roster (i.e. can play in games) and then had a deadline to go on IR.

we really do not have a true "3rd" WR.

We have multiple "3rd" WR's currently:D

Aiken has seen the ball more.... and he barely knocks off Tate as the third option IF I HAD TO PICK.

Since this thread has nothing to do w/ ability, upside, potential and age....

Aiken is 3

By activated, you do mean "activated to the 53-man roster," right? Because once he is "activated" to practice, there is a three-week window. But once he is placed on the 53-man roster and eligible to play in a game, he's as much a part of the roster as Brady or Moss.

I just find it hard to believe that you thought PUP players could be on the 53-man roster (i.e. can play in games) and then had a deadline to go on IR.

By "activated" I mean, being put on the 45 gameday roster, so as not to be confused with the other 8 that are "deactivated" each Sunday. Also to distinguish this from the practice squad. Otherwise I would refer to the player as being "on the roster."

I do know that anyone's PUP status is invalidated once he touches the practice field. I think the confusion is arising from my impression that after 6 weeks on PUP a player has a 3 week window to either become activated or go straight to IR. Correct?

Last edited:
Aiken is 3 until Tate or Nunn (in 2010) step up.

Edelman is the 2nd slot guy. That could be 4 or 5 on our roster depending on how the system would work.

I'd say that Faulk and Maroney could both line up out wide as well. Possibly Green-Ellis (despite his difficult drop on Sunday) if needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back