PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Helped Their Chances Of Making The 53?

He was with the team until Sept 2007, when he was cut.
right
Mills made the 53, didn't play, and was put IR in mid-season.
Mills can back for 3007 and was cut before the season started.

Only 1 player was actually cut as a rookie; but Brown had made the 53 before being cut during his rookie season.

OK, for the LAST TIME.

A rookie 4th rounder has never been waived before the cut-down.
I know you're right, but I feel this year might be the exception. I think they want to give Sow a redshirt year to learn to play tackle. Andrews needs to be able to be a backup now.

Ferentz ... Is a depth piece... Who will make this roster... His short comings are better disguised when playing as a sub for the 1s... But make no mistake, he's going to be on the roster this year... Might start on the ps to allow for some wiggle room on the 53, but in the end he'll be back

I think Ferentz will be stashed on the practice squad and called up with that designation for the first few weeks until there's a few injuries, and then he'll remain on the 53 for the year. He wouldn't dare go anywhere else!

I know you're right, but I feel this year might be the exception. I think they want to give Sow a redshirt year to learn to play tackle. Andrews needs to be able to be a backup now.
You want Sow and Andrews be to able to practice every week and learn their positions, and as they learn prevent any other team from signing them off our Practice Squad for a 3 week try-out. There is no such designation.

We'd have a very different situation if We could designate players PS players for the season without being able to be signed by others. As is it, a needy team is a danger, especially as the season progresses and they are focusing on 2023. We saw HOU's line. In 4 or 5 weeks, they might be very willing to sign someone off a Practice Squad.

To put it another way. Are there teams whose 8th and 9th OL's are really bad, so bad they MIGHT be willing to watch the cutdowns carefully? Some poster might think that we are such a team.

Last edited:
That's about it.

Unpopular take: There *might* be an olineman who did a nice job but went unnoticed because he was surrounded by turnstiles. It'd take some film review to spot that though.
It was really impossible to evaluate individuals without slow motion replay of every down. I also think the Texans were doing some things defensively these guys were not prepared for. Let's relax a couple more weeks.

Too early… coaches will look at the entire body of work, from practices to joint practices to preseason games.

We haven’t even played the most competitive parts yet. The dog days of summer is where players prove themselves, it’s where rookies improve or fall off. Be patient…

Who helped their case?

Keion White - gets the game ball
Daniel Eukale - despite the flags, he cemented a spot on the 53, 8f it was 8n question at all
Jalen Mills - our new FS
Bryce Barringer - booming punts, despite the shank
Tyquan Thornton - still shows promise
Malik Cunningham - made a strong argument that he's a keeper
James Ferentz - demonstrated the need for ol depth and versatility
I've heard analyst saying White will likely be a rotation player.. I'm not sure on that. He possess something that alot of rookies don't in thier first season. He may very well work his way Into a starting role by pre seasons end. The guys an absolute force. He can play the run, rush the QB has a relentless motor.. he's the perfect guy I want to punish Josh Allen if he wants to run on 3rd down. I haven't seen this type of player on the roster since Seymour.

White to me made the case for A starting role.. IMO.. BB always says we put our best guys on the field.. so maybe he Replaces Wise in the starting lineup.. ?
Wise can rush the passer and is good against the run. I think we and the team need to see more from White to know exactly what they have IMO.

Wise can rush the passer and is good against the run. I think we and the team need to see more from White to know exactly what they have IMO.
Wise Is a good player absolutely.. but I was watching training camp central the other day.. Phil perry was saying the team wanted to take some off D Wise snap count this season as he's getting older and has played alot. So that is great. Having more guys to rush the passer, and guys fresher during games. White IMO is one of those guys who seem to get better and better the more they play. All summer reports were he was a beast in camp. Having a deep defensive line depth is a must have. All I care about is he punishes Allen when he runs on 3rd and 8. LOL

Wise Is a good player absolutely.. but I was watching training camp central the other day.. Phil perry was saying the team wanted to take some off D Wise snap count this season as he's getting older and has played alot. So that is great. Having more guys to rush the passer, and guys fresher during games. White IMO is one of those guys who seem to get better and better the more they play. All summer reports were he was a beast in camp. Having a deep defensive line depth is a must have. All I care about is he punishes Allen when he runs on 3rd and 8. LOL
White could be a good one....it's early. They also got Flowers who if healthy is probably a better player then Wise and would take some of those snaps. Wise is 29 this year...that's still youngish.

White could be a good one....it's early. They also got Flowers who if healthy is probably a better player then Wise and would take some of those snaps.
That's true Flowers is on the PUP.. Hopefully he healthy enough to be a rotation player. Or he could be put on PS and called up on game days as well.

That's about it.

Unpopular take: There *might* be an olineman who did a nice job but went unnoticed because he was surrounded by turnstiles. It'd take some film review to spot that though.

a good thought

To be able to really tell, we'd need to know more about their assignments. The obvious possibilities are Mafi and Russey.

Mafi & Russey didn't do anything to hurt their chances; but I feel that McDermott actually improved his chances the most out of any of the OLmen who played.

None of those made much impact either way IMO. All probably should make it other than possibly Ekuale.

Better question is which O-lineman played his way off the roster

I've haven't yet re-watched their offensive drives of the 2nd half beyond the opening one, including the failed 4th/1 attempt, but so far the worst performers on the OL have been Hines, Stueber, Thanksdad & Sow... Sow's not going anywhere, but the other 3 should...

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back