PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Helped Their Chances Of Making The 53?

That's about it.

Unpopular take: There *might* be an olineman who did a nice job but went unnoticed because he was surrounded by turnstiles. It'd take some film review to spot that though.

That's about it.

Unpopular take: There *might* be an olineman who did a nice job but went unnoticed because he was surrounded by turnstiles. It'd take some film review to spot that though.
a good thought

To be able to really tell, we'd need to know more about their assignments. The obvious possibilities are Mafi and Russey.

None of those made much impact either way IMO. All probably should make it other than possibly Ekuale.

Better question is which O-lineman played his way off the roster

Who helped their case?

Keion White - gets the game ball
Daniel Eukale - despite the flags, he cemented a spot on the 53, 8f it was 8n question at all
Jalen Mills - our new FS
Bryce Barringer - booming punts, despite the shank
Tyquan Thornton - still shows promise
Malik Cunningham - made a strong argument that he's a keeper
James Ferentz - demonstrated the need for ol depth and versatility

Last edited:
Who helped their case?

Daniel Eukale - despite the flags, he cemented a spot on the 53
Jalen Mills - our new FS
Brice Barringer - booming punts, despite the shank
That's quite a lot of positives for the first ore-season game. As Zuma posted, Barringer should be included.

Who helped their case?

Daniel Eukale - despite the flags, he cemented a spot on the 53
Jalen Mills - our new FS
Brice Barringer - booming punts, despite the shank

White and Mills weren't in much danger of not making the 53. Thornton was *probably* not in much danger either, but who knows.

Also...

I don't want to put words in your mouth bro but it seems you're implying Ferentz played like a capable NFL offensive lineman.

Without the benefit of film review, I'd say it's more likely he demonstrated why we need OL depth/versatility/talent by displaying none of those things.

That's quite a lot of positives for the first ore-season game. As Zuma posted, Barringer should be included.
With the exception of Cunningham and Baringer, who I did mention, are what I consider locks to make the 53... Nothing from last night disabused me from that thought.

Last edited:
OK, for the LAST TIME.

A rookie 4th rounder has never been waived before the cut-down.
This year might be an exception due to a loaded and depp rookie class. The 4th round positions should not matter. Rookie class is outperforming significantly.

Top 3 draft picks Gonzalez, white and mapu are living to their billing.

Barringer , Mafi, Douglas , Cunningham are balling and most likely locks .

Ryland and Bolden near locks due to performance and the position they play with.

That's 9 out of 54 going to rookies .

The 4th round position be damned . If they are not good enough better to take one from cutdowns or veteran market . These 2 will be available mostly after waivers . For potential they can be in PS not on 53. So they could catch the flu or they are getting cut and moved to PS .

White and Mills weren't in much danger of not making the 53. Thornton was *probably* not in much danger either, but who knows.

Also...

I don't want to put words in your mouth bro but it seems you're implying Ferentz played like a capable NFL offensive lineman.

Without the benefit of film review, I'd say it's more likely he demonstrated why we need OL depth/versatility/talent by displaying none of those things.
Ferentz ... Is a depth piece... Who will make this roster... His short comings are better disguised when playing as a sub for the 1s... But make no mistake, he's going to be on the roster this year... Might start on the ps to allow for some wiggle room on the 53, but in the end he'll be back

I'd throw Jennings in the mix as well. Not sure how much danger he was in (he played 30+% of the snaps last year), but he definitely wasn't a lock coming in. I thought he showed well last night though.

I'd throw Jennings in the mix as well. Not sure how much danger he was in (he played 30+% of the snaps last year), but he definitely wasn't a lock coming in. I thought he showed well last night though.
Good player. Think you are right.

Ferentz ... Is a depth piece... Who will make this roster... His short comings are better disguised when playing as a sub for the 1s... But make no mistake, he's going to be on the roster this year... Might start on the ps to allow for some wiggle room on the 53, but in the end he'll be back

Just burying that dagger in mah heart with impunity

The 4th round position be damned
Where I'll agree was because of two data points. One, wasn't this the most draft picks BB has ever used in a year (I think so) and add to that two, conventional wisdom said he didn't plan on doing so (trying to use some as trade leverage but wasn't enough return on investment or interested trade partners). That could put 4th rounders at risk this year all other variables being equal.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back