PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Else Do We NEED On Defense?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The 21 players below will likely get almost all the reps. There are many developmental players here, so we NEED not use the last roster spots for developmental players. We also have added some solid special teamers (for example, Fletcher is back).

We all have our favorites. I don't think that any of them are a must-have.

I suspect that what we need is simply additional depth in every unit: DE, DT, LB/ST and DB, likely one player for each. I would be fine with the players now on the team winning these spots. I would also be fine with late free agent additions making the team (DT seems most likely).

21 MAN DEFENSE
DE (4) Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Benard
DT (3) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
OLB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Collins
CB (4) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan
SS (2) Wilson, Wilson
FS (3) McCourty, Gregory, Harmon

love to see Seymour back. will not happen though.

A cornerback not made of glass.

At CB and DT, we need more depth. If either of the starting CB's (Talib, Dennard) or Wilfork go down for an extended period of time, than I shudder to think what will happen to the D.

At LB and Safety, we need guys who can cover. Hopefully (and I don't know how likely this is) Fletcher and Collins can fill that spot as LBs, but I don't know who can at Safety.

at DE, it'd be nice to find another impact player to play alongside Jones. That being said, I don't think it's worth paying Freeney or Abraham a ludicrous amount of cash for that purpose. I hope BB takes a good DE high in the next draft.

/stating the obvious/

Whoever it is isn't walking through that door or being waiver by another team.

We just need some of our guys to make that next "level" and outplay expectations.

I don't see why not.

1200 players will be cut in the next few weeks. I will be surprised if we do not bring in a backup offensive lineman or two. The need at backup OG seems pretty clear.

And BTW, the roster is in no way set when we file our 53 man roster. There are almost always transactions between then and Game 2.

Maybe Belichick will scour the 1200 and find no better than Forston, Grissom and Vellano as
backup DT's.

Whoever it is isn't walking through that door or being waiver by another team.

Of course injuries play a big part, but any team can say the same thing. "If our #1 corner goes out, we're in trouble." It sounds like Dowling and Dennard will be back soon, which is good news...but obviously am not counting on Dowling staying on the field long.

What we do NEED is another DT. That is an area of concern. Wilfork is the most important piece to that D...if he goes, we are SCREWED. But, not only that...our depth is very thin there. I like Fortson but I think he's more of a 4th DT than a 3rd. Kelly and Wilfork are both 31-32....not young. To have really no depth behind them is a concern. Even if they stay healthy and play well, you still have to give them rest when you can.

Other than that, I like what we've got on D. I think our secondary should be better given they stay healthy. Our LB's should be good. Our DE's will be solid. Only area I would tend to worry some about is the Safety spot next to Mccourty. Bedard tweeted that the spot is still a mess behind Mccourty. T-Wilson is not going to cut it. A-Wilson is not much of a cover guy, but I think he'll be good for us. Gregory is mediocre. Harmon seems to be playing well but he's a rookie. I don't really expect much from him at all.

A starting caliber LDE.

anybody that can lower the QB's eyes coming off the edge...is he on the team?...I dyam sure hope so...Cunningham is a bust though...it's been long enough...I've got old socks that are more threatening

The 21 players below will likely get almost all the reps. There are many developmental players here, so we NEED not use the last roster spots for developmental players. We also have added some solid special teamers (for example, Fletcher is back).

I suspect that what we need is simply additional depth in every unit: DE, DT, LB/ST and DB, likely one player for each. I would be fine with the players now on the team winning these spots. I would also be fine with late free agent additions making the team (DT seems most likely).

21 MAN DEFENSE
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
SS (2) Wilson, Wilson

Not sure all of those are locks.

21 MAN DEFENSE
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
SS (2) Wilson, Wilson

This is what I have; I really don’t want to cut Cole, but given the investments we have in Bequette and Wilson, along with the potential in a player like Buchanan I feel like we need to keep them over a journeyman CB/ST player who’s unlikely to latch on elsewhere so I feel he could be brought back in the season.

If Armstead comes off PUP I see Cunningham, or Francis getting the cut.

DE (6) Jones, Ninkovich, Benard, Francis, Buchanan, Bequette
DT (4) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston, Cunningham
ILB(3) Spikes, Fletcher, Beauharnais
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling, Ryan
SS (3) Wilson, Gregory, Wilson
FS (2) McCourty, Harmon

A starting caliber LDE.

Ninkovich, IMO, would be best served on a rotational basis. Other than that: DT, CB, and safety are obvious needs along with possibly another LB for the nickel.

Ninkovich, IMO, would be best served on a rotational basis. Other than that: DT, CB, and safety are obvious needs along with possibly another LB for the nickel.

Ninkovich looks a little bigger this season, add to that him playing the same position in 2 consecutive seasons and I think he could take a step forward from a marginal starter to an impact starter.

It is also worth noting that our LDE end is more of a Leo DE or a Jack LB so Ninkovich is not doing the same things as Justin Tuck or Chris Long he is dropping into coverage, acting as a QB spy for containment, his role is similar to what Brooks does in SF, rotating between the SOLB, SAM, and LDE depending on how the opponent setups up. So when you judge him as a DE it is not an apple to apple comparison; in my opinion anyway.

If Armstead comes off PUP I see Cunningham, or Francis getting the cut.

DE (6) Jones, Ninkovich, Benard, Francis, Buchanan, Bequette
DT (4) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston, Cunningham
ILB(3) Spikes, Fletcher, Beauharnais
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling, Ryan
SS (3) Wilson, Gregory, Wilson
FS (2) McCourty, Harmon

This is a nice listing. I think you'd have to be pretty close, aside from give/take on a player. Like you said, we'd have to get it down to 25 at a minimum so either Cunningham/Francis would likely be the one to go.

Tough cuts for Cole, Ebner, one of Cunnigham/Francis, and possibly even Bequette...

I don't see why not.

1200 players will be cut in the next few weeks. I will be surprised if we do not bring in a backup offensive lineman or two. The need at backup OG seems pretty clear.
Well, the thread was about defense and I can't argue with your statemnt here (regardless) :)
Maybe Belichick will scour the 1200 and find no better than Forston, Grissom and Vellano as
backup DT's.
Sure could use some depth, but I doubt we'll get a starter from the 1200. Best case (in my opinion) is you get a Vrabel type situation and get a player who can contribute/rotational depth and make a leap a couple years down the line.

Still, I'm sure BB has a list of guys who he'd like to fit his system and the minute they are dropped, he'll find a place for them.

why is it when I watch these other teams in preseason games that their DB's look twice the size of ours?...every team has these big, FAST secondary players...what is it, familiarity breeds contempt? what am I missing here?

GM - that can draft/sign players that will improve defense. Don't know who is that person. :noidea:

I am not comfortable with the backup DT position at all. Beyond Kelly and Wilfork, the Patriots have nothing of note. This is very bad, and unusual. The Patriots have almost always had stout bodies in the middle to back up the starters. Now, they got nothing it it is very bad.

Maybe Armstead? But, we haven't seen anything out of him.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back