PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Need Replacements For Defensive Players Who Are Gone

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Defense is in fine shape. Of course, there is an opportunity to upgrade at positions where players are gone.

PLAYERS WHO NEED TO BE RE-SIGNED OR REPLACED
DL - Guy
LB -Jennings
CB - Bryant
CB - Jackson
S - Phillips
S - Mills

Last edited:
Would love Simmons but read the Titans are hot on him.

Health and development could be what “replaces” departures when looking at DL/LB. Judon back healthy, Uche getting the rub from that, White taking a second year leap. Would be nice to add a little more there though and assume they will in the draft and maybe aren’t done in free agency/possible trade.

Secondary:
- Would love a reliable FS added to allow Dugger/Peppers to not take on some of those responsibilities and be at their roles of best use. Mills and Philips are nothing to lose sleep over if doing so.
- CB: Again, practical and effective moves would make Bryant and Jackson nothing to lose sleep over. It doesn’t need to be complicated. Sure won’t miss watching Bryant jersey chasing. Also, back on health, let’s hope Gonzalez is back so that depth pieces aren’t as heavily relied on as last year. Add a vet outside CB and a draft pick? Looking forward to seeing if Isaiah Bolden can follow up on some of the promise he showed before hurt as well.

Last edited:
Where are you seeing Jennings being gone? I don’t think he has signed anywhere. Hes one guy we really should keep

Where are you seeing Jennings being gone? I don’t think he has signed anywhere. Hes one guy we really should keep
I misspoke. I fixed the post.

All of these players need to be re-signed or replaced. I would expect that we try to bring back Jennings and Bryant.

Need a replacement for Guy.

White could replace Jennings.

Need a FS. Does Peppers move there or do ever add someone else?

Dugger probably returns.

Need to add another CB.

Need to try an resign Bryant and Jennings.
Phillips only played 14 % of snaps on D so that’s pretty simple to replace numberwise.

DL: Sheldon Rankins
CB: Ahkello Witherspoon
S: Jordan Whitehead

This ^ They should re-sign Jennings immediately. Beyond that, possibly extend Duggar longterm.

Sam Roberts and Keion White should get more run along the defensive line in place of Guy, but I wouldn't be against drafting another impact DL in the 3rd round or beyond if they were sitting there.

Mapu should take some more of Adrian Philips snaps, did last season anyway. They could certainly afford to add in the defensive backfield in free agency or the draft. Jalen Mills was an unheralded piece who could play FS and needs replacing, they never really replaced DMC.

They shouldn't rest on their laurels, I like the Sione signing to replace Wilson... but they have money. Burn it.

This ^ They should re-sign Jennings immediately. Beyond that, possibly extend Duggar longterm.

Sam Roberts and Keion White should get more run along the defensive line in place of Guy, but I wouldn't be against drafting another impact DL in the 3rd round or beyond if they were sitting there.

Mapu should take some more of Adrian Philips snaps, did last season anyway. They could certainly afford to add in the defensive backfield in free agency or the draft. Jalen Mills was an unheralded piece who could play FS and needs replacing, they never really replaced DMC.

They shouldn't rest on their laurels, I like the Sione signing to replace Wilson... but they have money. Burn it.
They don't appear to be doing anything long term right now. Unless you consider 3 years long term that is.

I'm not going to address Guy or Phillips as others have.

I agree on Jennings.

As for Jackson, Mills, and Bryant, the Pats already have potential replacements on the roster. You're ignoring Marcus Jones and Isaiah Bolden who are both returning from injury. You're also ignoring Marco Wilson and Alex Austin.

You're forgetting that the Pats benched Jackosn then NFIed him. They replaced him last year. People forget that, at one point, the Pats top 4 CBs coming out of camp were IRed.

Last edited:
W/ No Additions

CB: Gonzalez
SS: Peppers
FS: Dugger
CB: Jo. Jones
N: M. Jones

Not bad, but I do think think they add here. I think Bryant will be back and they’ll add S help.

Jennings has re-signed, 3 years

I read yesterday they are talking to Rankins, and there are some good free safeties available.

I read yesterday they are talking to Rankins, and there are some good free safeties available.
Rankins would be a good pick-up. Armstead would be a better pick-up, I think.

Need to try an resign Bryant and Jennings.
Phillips only played 14 % of snaps on D so that’s pretty simple to replace numberwise.

DL: Sheldon Rankins
CB: Ahkello Witherspoon
S: Jordan Whitehead

This is the way. I would take Gilmore back on a short term deal. White will be good but we need one more DL difference maker. Rankin's should be great.

Remember 2001 to 2004. The rebuild should start with a top 3 defense and then we rebuild the offense over 2 to 3 years. This is a rebuild, but really only rebuilding the offense. With 2 or 3 FAs on defense, difference makers, we have a great footing. Lock down the defense, we are close, and then slowly fix the offense as the QB matures.

Rankins would be a good pick-up. Armstead would be a better pick-up, I think.

Armstead would be GREAT, but I think he might be too pricey. Either way one DL lineman who is a difference maker.

This is the way. I would take Gilmore back on a short term deal. White will be good but we need one more DL difference maker. Rankin's should be great.

Remember 2001 to 2004. The rebuild should start with a top 3 defense and then we rebuild the offense over 2 to 3 years. This is a rebuild, but really only rebuilding the offense. With 2 or 3 FAs on defense, difference makers, we have a great footing. Lock down the defense, we are close, and then slowly fix the offense as the QB matures.

I agree with all of this. And they have the resources to achieve everything to achieve over this free agency, the draft, and then all of next offseason. They should also benefit greatly from having the WB on their rookie deal for the next 5 years, which at current QB costs should free up120-150 million in cap space over those years.

Armstead would be GREAT, but I think he might be too pricey. Either way one DL lineman who is a difference maker.
"Too pricey"

Too pricey for what? This mentality that's been injected into our collective fanbase is not going to end well. The CAP soared this year, and likely will again and again.

Tampa looked dead after their Super Bowl run with all that dead money and big contracts coming up...they retained their stars on massive deals.

KC paid Jones a truckload and franchised Sneed.

"Too pricey" is resignation for a mediocre roster in this league now. I'm not saying go into CAP hell, but the Patriots have more than enough cash over the next three years to add several A+++ players in their prime, especially since they're running on (and going back to) a rookie QB1 contract.

Again, my hope is that this is a very temporary, get our feet in the ground, attitude, but if not...if we're stuck with low cash spending and "too pricey," I'll take Caserio's thinking over Wolf's any day. The game has changed. The CAP has changed.

Pickings are thin at DT, really only Rankins and Reader are notable.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back