PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which was the worst, 86 Red Sox loss,'03 Red Sox loss, or this Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it was a bad day....

i have SB programs (same one's sold at the game)

drop me a line if interested....

This SB loss was the worst. Going for a perfect season against an inferior team and they spit the bit. The entire organization from BB on down. Truly a heart breaking loss.

The SB loss wasn't the worst thing to happen to me in the past 6 months nor would a victory been the best thing to happen to me in the past 6 months - so it wasn't the end of the world.

How can you replace Bill Buckner in EVERY SINGLE GAME with Stapleton by the eighth inning and then leave Billy Bucks in there in the 9th when you NEED the best defensive team you have out there?In the World Series...leading for the series win...and Rockhead McNamara just sits there like a gd'ed cadaver while Buckner hobbles around and let's a 32 hopper Little League dribbler go through his legs....no....I can take the horrible reffing and the pulled from the posterior one in a thousand plays the Giants made...I will NEVER get over what that idiot Johnny "Mac the Wack" did to Red Sox fans that series.

Ditto! The '86 lose by far was the worst. What was said above plus the fact that as each Mets batter reached base (needing only one more out) - it was like a slow knife in your gut. Each batter , the knife would twist alittle bit more. It was slow agonizing torture. Just needing one friggin out for christ sake. To make up for all those years without a championship. Losing in the '75 series to Cinci & also after Bucky f'in Dent in '78. That ('86) was going to be the ointment which releved the awful painful itch for all those years of dissapointment.

And how to lose the game - a big homer or something spectacular? No - first to give a base on balls (with bases loaded) to tie the game, then a slow little league roller through the legs to lose the game. It was a major meltdown happening live - and in color- right before your eyes. A slow motion nightmare that didnt go away the next morning when you woke up (or ever since).

Those kind of losses make one really appreciate it when you DO win it all. Those that were too young to remember the big losses (including Pats in 76 and SB vs Chicago) dont know how good they have it.

This SB lose was more of a ' who were those imposters ' in the Pats uniforms. We played like crapola - our worst game of the year by far -and deserved to lose. That we almost won shows how lucky the Giants were to win with that hail mary play. They made the plays and applied the pressure all game - they deserved to win it no matter how much of a dissapointment it was. I think I am still more upset at our AFCC loss to the Colts last year. Another meltdown that should not have happended (when you have such a commanding lead) just like the Sox did in ´86 with two outs in the 9th.

This SB lose was more of a ' who were those imposters ' in the Pats uniforms. We played like crapola - our worst game of the year by far -and deserved to lose. That we almost won shows how lucky the Giants were to win with that hail mary play. They made the plays and applied the pressure all game - they deserved to win it no matter how much of a dissapointment it was. I think I am still more upset at our AFCC loss to the Colts last year. Another meltdown that should not have happended (when you have such a commanding lead) just like the Sox did in ´86 with two outs in the 9th.

I hear ya there.

How bout 05, boy that was crushing too. We should've three-peated man. Seeing Kevin Faulk and D. Branch on the sideline tearing up as if someone died in that Denver game, I'll never forget that. That was Brady's first playoff loss ever, the night we refused to accept Brady had actually lost a game that meant everything. We could've hosted the AFCCG against the Steelers if we didn't turn the ball over 5 times against a mediocre Denver team.

Last edited:
This Super Bowl loss was BY FAR the worst of the three and I say that as a life long Red Sox fan. I'd been conditioned to see them get close and lose in some bizzare, punch in the gut kind of way (67 World Series, losing the AL East title in 71 to the Tigers by 1/2 game, blowing the division lead to the Orioles in 74, the 75 WS, Bucky #$%^ing Dent in 78, etc, etc), so 86 was no different.

The fact that Henderson hit the home run and we came back from the dead vs the Angels was a shock to say the least. I had low expectations going into the WS; everyone forgets the Mets were an absolute powerhouse that year. I was shocked we won the first two games at Shea. The way we lost game six was a Greek tragedy, a nightmare, but there still was a game seven.

We were up in that game too, 3-0, until Hurst ran out of gas and that was all she wrote. 2003 was bad too, losing to the Yankees and Aaron #$%^ing Boone; again, a bizzare, punch in the gut when Grady froze like a deer in headlights and left a cooked Pedro in the game.

The Super Bowl was 10,000 times worse; we were the far, FAR superior team, the Giants had no business being on the same field as the Patriots, they had just hung 38 friggin points on the Giants in week 17. This was an epic chokejob, just brutal.

Was down in PA this past weekend and saw my first "New York Giants Super Bowl Champions" hat; what a disaster, this ones always gonna hurt. Time heals all wounds, but not this one. Eli Gump is now a Super Bowl legend; stop the world, I wanna get the #$%^ off........................

Key words..at the time.
At the time, 86 was far worse. The sox hadnt won in forever, to come soooo close..hurt.
Wont even discuss 03, wasnt the championship
The super bowl hurts now, and might hurt longer into the future considering what could have been...but we won 3 super bowls not that long ago, and we know we will be back again. But I am into football far more now, and alot of that may be because of 86.......

Lived 86 and Da Bears at the impressionable age of 13, went to SB31, was in the Bronx in '03 and in Glendale in February...

No sports team related pain will ever top the pain of SB42... it literally makes me sick to my stomach if I think or talk about it for more than a few minutes at a time. I get this gnawing pain in my abdomen, and within two minutes I feel like I'm going to puke.

Nothing will ever suck more than those final 3 minutes.

This loss. Lost not only the Bowl, but a chance at immortality as well. In the most heartbreaking way. Playing like that. To me, that was the worst part. To lose it, all of it, with that performance.

I can't believe some people put the Bruins in the same breath.

The worst franchise with the worst owner in the worst sport.

Who cares? They are about as relevant as a curling match.

the bruins were not always that way. they used to be very relevant and a excellent team. your just to young to remember.

Ten years ago, that was the spiel you'd get when the Patriots came up.

Frontrunner Boston sports fan bull****.

Some of us support our teams even in the bad times. The Bruins are an original 6 NHL franchise and were consistently great until the mid 90's plus had arguably the greatest player of all time.

I will say right now that blowing the 3-1 series lead to Montreal a few years back stuck with me as bad as this Patriots loss.

I will say right now that blowing the 3-1 series lead to Montreal a few years back stuck with me as bad as this Patriots loss.

It wouldn't go that far, but that definitely has to be the third worst sport loss of the 2000's for me. Not as bad as this past loss or the AFCCG last year, but worse than, say, Boone or the Broncos divisional playoff game. The Bruins losing to their rivals (hate the Colts all you want, hate the Yankees, there's no Boston rivalry that contains more hatred than the Habs) in such a spectacular fashion after they loaded up for that run was a killer, especially since there was no shot at redemption the next year courtesy of the lockout.

It wouldn't go that far, but that definitely has to be the third worst sport loss of the 2000's for me. Not as bad as this past loss or the AFCCG last year, but worse than, say, Boone or the Broncos divisional playoff game. The Bruins losing to their rivals (hate the Colts all you want, hate the Yankees, there's no Boston rivalry that contains more hatred than the Habs) in such a spectacular fashion after they loaded up for that run was a killer, especially since there was no shot at redemption the next year courtesy of the lockout.
yankees habs lakers .i hate them all the same

Ah, SunnyDenmark?

"And how to lose the game - a big homer or something spectacular? No - first to give a base on balls (with bases loaded) to tie the game, then a slow little league roller through the legs to lose the game. It was a major meltdown happening live - and in color- right before your eyes. A slow motion nightmare that didnt go away the next morning when you woke up (or ever since). " and

"I think I am still more upset at our AFCC loss to the Colts last year. Another meltdown that should not have happended (when you have such a commanding lead) just like the Sox did in ´86 with two outs in the 9th."

If you're going to bemoan a loss, please get your facts straight. After 2 outs in the 10th, 3 straight soft singles made it 5-4 with runners on 1st and 3rd. A wild-pitch/passed-ball (depends on if you blame Stanley or Gedman, eh?) tied it up. Then the Buckner gaffe followed. Would he even have beaten Wilson to the bag? If not, then still tied with 1st and 3rd.... and then they screwed the pooch in game 7. Hurst tires? I'd have brought in The Can out of the pen, myself. Anyhow.... It really hurt back then, but I got over it... (was following it from Europe, on my honeymoon). 2003 really hurt, too, but having seen '75, '78 and '86, I came to expect it from the Sox, and let it pass after a day or 2.

Back in April of '71, I was 12yrs old, and captivated by the Big, Bad Bruins. Already with the Cup under their belt from '70, they ran roughshod over the league. Then the Habs pulled Ken Dryden out of their ass and stunned us. I was shocked for quite some time after that. Getting it back in '72 helped immensely.

The Pats this year were going not just for the ring, but immortality. I bought into all the hype... was ready to get a new version of "Three Games to Glory", etc.... I still don't want to look at replays, or really think much about it. Bring on the draft and the '08 season...

Prosit!!

Last edited:
This would be a lot better as a poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back