PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which was the worst, 86 Red Sox loss,'03 Red Sox loss, or this Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was definitely this Super Bowl as the Pats didn't just lose the championship, they also lost the perfect season and title as the best team of all-time. Brady would have been considered the best QB of all-time and while he is still high on the list, he too lost that title, at least for the time being.

So who'd he lose it to troll?

The Sox losses in '86 and '03 were both worse because of the curse. '03 was the worst of all because it wasn't a physical mistake, and it was game 7 against the Yankees, and it was the most incredibly mindnumbing mental mistake in the history of sports. And everybody knew it except one absolute moron of a manager. Ownership in the stands knew it. Fans knew it. His own pitching coach knew it. Just couldn't stop it. From there on it was like watching a slow motion train wreck and knowing there wasn't a damn thing anyone could do about it. People couldn't even speak of it for days. And when they finally did, there was less disappointment than seething anger...

They won the following year, but aside from lifting a curse it wasn't nearly as satisfying because in the process they had become the Yankees. I think that's what I love most about the Pat's - they haven't. Although a segment of the fan base has...

I don't follow the Sox any longer, but to this day I still cannot watch that game. '86 was like a bitter tease. '03 was devastation. 42 was our 5th trip to the Superbowl in 11 years...and you can't expect to win 'em all.

Last edited:
The 2003 Red Sox loss does not deserve to be mentioned. They lost in the ALCS not the World Series. Besides, one could see that loss coming a mile away.

2008 Super Bowl = Worst loss in New England sports history.

OK so the Sox choked badly in 86. It doesn't compare to the Pats loss. 18-0, 17-10, just a couple minutes left, two dropped INT's and a missed sack on the final drive...an incredible catch......so so close to making it. 19-0. I don't think I've ever felt so devastated after a loss. I sighed, ignored the papers and TV's for a week and moved on so its good to get over it although it will always linger and bother me how close our Pats came.

Still the Pats have the best team in the NFL I think and is ready to make another run for the SB so that helps a lot.

Last edited:
Well I'm a Rangers fan, so I would consider this year's SB loss far worse than anything regarding the Sox.

1986 Red Sox.

Actually one of the worst for me was Game 1 of the 1990 Stanley Cup Finals. Triple Overtime. B's vs. the Oilers. Glen Wesley misses a wide open net. B's go on to lose in five games to a Gretzky-less Oilers team. Game ended at 1:22AM. Damn Petr Klima. For some reason, I've never been able to totally get that game out of my head.

Last edited:
The recent 3 championships helped to take the sting off a bit, it's still the worse loss in team history though.

i would also put the Bruins too many men on the ice up there too.

for me, its still 1986, it would have been 2003 but the 2003 Patriots and 2004 Red Sox more than made up for it. And this Super Bowl loss....how can you get to upset when they've already won it 3 times.

to me, this SB loss is like the 2001 Yankees blowing the 7th game at Arizona.

'71 Bruins' loss to the Montreal Canadians. That was the worst of them all....

SB 42 loss.

Its hard to put them all in context. I'm such a Boston team homer that when the Celtics played the Sixers just a couple days ago I wanted blood, not because of the rivalry the C's have had with that team in the past, and not because they are the closest team to the C's in the standings right now; but because they were Sphincter's Basketball team:D

In a vacuum I'd have to look at this recent disappointment as the worst; but if the Pats had to suffer so demoralizing a loss, now was definitely the time to go through it.

1986 was the worst, and by far.

This year's SB was lost by a Championship team that had gone to five of seven AFCCG's, won four of them and won three of seven SBs. The 1986 loss was a heartbreaker by a team that was trying to overcome, at the time, a 68 year old championship drought. No comparison.

Well, my thread right after the game called it the worst loss I have ever experienced as a fan, so I'll stick with that.

Seems to be a couple of basic camps here.....I'm with those who call this the worst because of the chance at perfection. That's why the comparison with the Yankees against Arizona doesn't quite work, even though that was a "last second" loss as well. The Yankees weren't working on anything historic. (And come to think of it, it doesn't work for other reasons--the Yankees were outclassed most of the games of that series....it was the last gasp of that Yankee run, with a lot of exiting players gutting it out one more time. The Patriots were big favorites, and laid an egg.)

Yes, 1986 and 2003 were awful....but put it this way. It was more of the same. Who hurts more--a bum in the gutter who gets pushed to the ground or someone one step from the peak of a mountain who gets pushed over the side?

i would also put the Bruins too many men on the ice up there too.

for me, its still 1986, it would have been 2003 but the 2003 Patriots and 2004 Red Sox more than made up for it. And this Super Bowl loss....how can you get to upset when they've already won it 3 times.

to me, this SB loss is like the 2001 Yankees blowing the 7th game at Arizona.

'03 Sox. Aaron "F*****g" Boone.

By far!

I was born in 86 so lucky for me, I didn't get to experience the 86 sox loss first hand. 2003 def. hurt, but not worse then this SB. Driving back to school in PA from Boston, and seeing the Giants buses leave for their parade the tues. after, was brutal.
I suspect that after the Patriots win their next SB, this sting will hurt less...just like the 2003 Sox loss doesn't hurt as much anymore. I think that now only positive things can come out of this loss. All you can do is be positive

How can you replace Bill Buckner in EVERY SINGLE GAME with Stapleton by the eighth inning and then leave Billy Bucks in there in the 9th when you NEED the best defensive team you have out there?In the World Series...leading for the series win...and Rockhead McNamara just sits there like a gd'ed cadaver while Buckner hobbles around and let's a 32 hopper Little League dribbler go through his legs....no....I can take the horrible reffing and the pulled from the posterior one in a thousand plays the Giants made...I will NEVER get over what that idiot Johnny "Mac the Wack" did to Red Sox fans that series.

It's really too bad Buckner gets remembered for that botched grounder, because he was really a helluva player...

Are you sure about that? I thought it was Yvon Lambert who put the puck past Gilbert....

I wasn't alive, but I know the events. You're both right. Lafleur beat Gilbert (who stopped like 50 shots that game) with 74 seconds left to go to tie the game at 3-3 on the power play (a result of the now mythic penalty). Lambert scored in overtime to win the game for the Habs.

Last edited:
Ten Worst New England Sports Losses:

(1). Super Bowl 42.

(2). Super Bowl 31.

(3). Super Bowl 20.

(4). Any Patriots regular-season game.

(5). Any Patriots preseason game.

(6). Any Patriots loss via Madden video game.

(7). Wayland Ladies Auxiliary Croquet Team, 1972 Regional Finals.

(8). Ned Smith upset by Albert Bickers in horseshoes, July 4, 1981.

(9). Bankofamericasox, 1986.

(10). Bankofamericasox, 2003.

Last edited:
08 Pats since I don't care of the Red Sox (and the major baseball in general).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye