PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which of our running backs gets the boot out of NE?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which RB or RBs is not going to make the 2010 roster?

• Fred Taylor

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Sammy Morris

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Laurence Maroney

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Kevin Faulk

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Ben Jarvis Green Ellis

Votes: 46 38.0%
  • No RB will be cut,roster will remain the same,no new additions

Votes: 13 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a fan of drafting a RB this year. We have 5 RBs on the current roster, and all 5 of them are playing in their last year of their contract or the only year in their deal (Faulk). After this season we will have no RBs for 2011, this gives us the chance to completely reevaluate the RB position and go in a completely new direction if they'd like.

It isnt like the running game is the focus of our offensive, obviously we are a pass first office. We dont ask much from our running backs, it isnt like we are asking for one of them to be a 1,500 yard back. All we need from them is being able to get 4 yards a carry and be able to run out the clock when we have leads. I am fairly confident that we can get that from either of Taylor/Morris/Maroney. Faulk will always have his spot as the 3rd down back and he will continue to do his thing. Unlike others, I am really big on Maroney. I think if he has a decent season this year the Pats should resign him and make him the feature back here. I think he will be a lot better when he knows he is "the guy" and it isnt the whole RB by committee. I think his fumbling problems last year came from him trying to do too much. Him knowing his is the feature back will greatly improve his performance.

Also, I dont think a RB is that high on our priority list this off season. A WR, TE and OLB/DE are definitely greater needs than the RB position. One could also argue that we need another OL, LB and CB before we even start worrying about a RB. Personally, the WR, TE, OLB/DE and CB positions are the postions that need to be addressed with our top 4 picks. Basically I am saying this isnt the off season to address the RB position when we have much greater needs on the roster and 5 decent-quality RBs already on the roster.

As for Law Firm, he's the ultimate JAG.

That means he's a heckuva athlete, but I still hope something better can be done w/ his roster slot.

Manase Tonga or Matt Clapp in the 6th or 7th round for BJGE's spot and I would like it.,one of these could also end up as an UDFA depending on late desirables.

The obvious answer is "whoever is injured in camp" will not be on the 2010 roster.

They require the surrendering of draft picks for a position that doesn't need the infusion as badly as some others.

Of course, that's just my take.

Things do change very quickly, though. It might be smart to look at a RB in the draft if we can somehow secure an extra pick. Of couse, I'm with you on your take on the FB position.

Hopefully it's Faulk. We don't need any more reminders of the championship runs.
Obviously.

Why would a Jets fan want to be reminded of championship runs by the Patriots?

I think Lawrence Maroney has played his last game with NEP. Sorry to say. Godspeed LoMo

Given what's currently available on the market, I would hope that the Patriots would focus the draft on areas of pressing need (OLB/DE/CB/WR/OG/TE) and look at a fullback later in the draft. He can take BJGE's spot.

Then the team can follow the waiver wire this offseason if they want to look for a Morris/Taylor replacement.
Yep, my first thought was that there are several other positions that are more in need of being addressed than RB. I don't know if it's the effect of fantasy football stats on how people perceive a team or people not doing their homework, but I'm baffled whenever I hear somebody say they think the Pats need to draft a RB in the 1st or even 2nd round of this draft. I'd rather go with what the team has now, perhaps use a late draft pick on a RB (or FB), and then figure on using maybe a 2nd in 2011 on the RB position.

They require the surrendering of draft picks for a position that doesn't need the infusion as badly as some others.

Of course, that's just my take.

I'm in fully agreement, I can't see any changes at RB this year. Taylor would be the only one that might go but I think its unlikely.

I just did my own Pats mock draft and had a big write up about this issue but mozilla crashed before I posted it. I'm so pissed right now after spending two hours on it.:mad:

Last edited:
I'm in fully agreement, I can't see any changes at RB this year. Taylor would be the only one that might go but I think its unlikely.

I just did my own Pats mock draft and had a big write up about this issue but mozilla crashed before I posted it. I'm so pissed right now after spending two hours on it.:mad:

dude, if you spend 2 hrs writing something you need to:

a) highlight it and 'copy' in case the browser crashes

or

b) type it up in a notepad or wordpad doc.

Is Taylor even on the roster? I thought he signed a one-year deal and hasn't re-upped? Could be mistaken though ...

Either way, he got my vote.

I say the FB (fumbleback), Maroney! :D

Fred is still the best RB this teams has.

Fred signed a 2-year deal last season, Tom, so he's still under contract. Unfortunately, he's also received one of my 2 votes off the island. I would prefer that Sammy leave, but he's the only RB on the roster in whom I would have confidence as a lead blocker. I know that BJGE has also been used as a FB in some games, with results varying from OK (at Houston) to disastrous (at Indy). I doubt that he can ever develop that facet of his game well enough to be considered adequate, so I therefore gave him my other vote.

Faulk
LaMa
Morris
Young RB*
Young Big RB/FB*

* I'm also in the camp of those who would rather Bill not use one of our top 4 picks on a RB. We just have too many other, more pressing needs at positions lacking in both quality & quantity (OLB, SILB, WR, OC, CB, DE, TE). At least at RB, like at Safety, we have some quantity. And it's not like Bill hasn't had chances to acquire some OK RBs over the last 3 years, anyway.

Fred is still the best RB this teams has.

And you are basing that on what?

He was injured for most of last season.
He never played here before last season.

And you are basing that on what?

He was injured for most of last season.
He never played here before last season.

basing it on the play of all the other RB on the team, which is about as mediocre a bunch of guys as you could possible acquire.

He was the best back befor he got injured and showed it.
His previous 11 seasons beats all 4 of the other backs combined.

basing it on the play of all the other RB on the team, which is about as mediocre a bunch of guys as you could possible acquire.

He was the best back befor he got injured and showed it.
His previous 11 seasons beats all 4 of the other backs combined.

Well last year we were 12th in rushing in the NFL, not bad for a mediocre bunch who played without the assistance of Fred Taylor from early in week 4.
Only 4 teams that made the playoffs had better numbers than the Patriots. The Patriots were 3rd in passing for the year and no team that was ahead of them in rushing was higher than the Patriots in passing.

I think Lawrence Maroney has played his last game with NEP. Sorry to say. Godspeed LoMo

BB would not indulge in such insanity. Maroney is under contract and is a good value. Last year's fumbilitis was an anomaly in his career. Sure, if he repeats the butterfingers, he won't be back in 2011 but he's here and contributing in the 2010 season and post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes