PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which legacy would be impacted more if they win a SB: Brady or Manning?

Like last season, I think Denver - and Manning - are having a good season that has been inflated by playing terrible opponents. Their dominance grows exponentially with the suckiness of the opponent, which means tremendously inflated numbers against the dregs of the league, which they have - once again - had the fortune of facing.
With the exception of his own division as they have sent 3 teams to the playoffs this season. and they did take 5 of the 6 games in their division.

For Brady it would be he won 4 and one of them with a mediocre defense and he made it there twice more with crap defenses. The excuse for Manning is always his defense just like Marino. Meanwhile the only one he won his defense carried him more than Brady's did in 2001 as a rookie with his 3 TD to 7 INT ratio. That said the impact of winning would be about equal for both of them.

However...........which legacy would be impacted more with a one and done?

MANNING and it's not even close. 9-12 playoff record, 4 straight playoff loses, the greatest offensive talent around any QB bar none, a record breaking season in all aspects. With all the Patriot injuries even the majority at this site only give the Pats a puncher's chance.

If the Pats don't win the SB I only want one wish, a one and done for Saint Peyton.

He didn't even have the highest QBrating THIS season.

So what? Brady didn't have the higher QBR ever in 2007. That rating is highly flawed, IMO.

Or maybe I should say OK, you can take 2013 Nick Foles and I'll take 2013 Peyton Manning.

Marino broke the 21 year old record held by YA Title of 36 TDs by a full 12 TDs for 48TDs in 1984. That equates to a 33% improvement over the previous mark. In comparison to his peers nobody threw for more than 33TDs in the the 20 years before or 10 years after Marino broke that record. Correction, there was one year when another QB threw for 44TDs during that 30 year window, but that was again Marino. That is what I call shattering a record. Not beating a record by 1 which is then beaten by 1 and then beaten again by 5 all in a 10 year window.

Marino is in the conversation for greatest of all-time too, and I still think that 1984 season by Marino was the greatest of all-time - better than Brady's 2007 or Manning's 2013 - for all the reasons you said.

I don't think it's a question with an answer, though. There are compelling arguments to be made for Brady, Manning, Marino, Montana, Elway, and Unitas as the greatest quarterback to ever play the game, and in the end it comes down to personal preference. Which is why it's sort of a tiring argument, and has been for the better part of a decade.

He didn't even have the highest QBrating THIS season.

This says more about that particular "statistic" (index, really) than it does about Manning.

I would have to go with manning...if he gets 1 more after this season somehow...75% will say he will be the GOAT and they will have a very valid case

He needs this years SB and he has a better chance then last year

He isn't close to being the GOAT.

Brady OTOH already has a solid case as the GOAT.

WHEN Brady wins his next SB he will HANDS DOWN be the GOAT.

He will has a 77.5 win % in the regular season, 5 SB appearances (ie Conference Championships) with 3 SB wins, he 17 playoff wins. 7 appearances in the Conference Championship, 11 division championships.

Montana OTOH has a 71.3 win % in the reg season, 16 playoff wins, he has 4 SB sins, 4 conference championships, and 5 Conference Championship appearances .

Manning OTOH has a 69.6 winning %, a losing record in the playoffs. certainly a SB win will give him a second win and get him over 50% record in the playoffs, but he isn't in the Brady Montana GOAT conversation.

So what? Brady didn't have the higher QBR ever in 2007. That rating is highly flawed, IMO.

QBR =/= QB Rating (really Passer Rating). The former is ESPN's statistic that is essentially made up from thin air to serve the media narrative, the latter is an index created through arithmetic (Passer rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that serves its purpose but has definite flaws, mostly because one of the four 'components' is the relatively unimportant touchdown-to-attempt ratio and because the scale it uses was normalized for 1960-70.

Oh Brady for sure.

He'd be 4 of 6 in Super Bowls and it could be argued that he really could have been 6 of 6 had it not been for a miracle helmet catch and a Wes Welker TD drop.

But that said, you just know if Peyton Manning was to win another the media would annoint him as the second coming of Jesus.

QBR =/= QB Rating (really Passer Rating). The former is ESPN's statistic that is essentially made up from thin air to serve the media narrative, the latter is an index created through arithmetic (Passer rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that serves its purpose but has definite flaws, mostly because one of the four 'components' is the relatively unimportant touchdown-to-attempt ratio and because the scale it uses was normalized for 1960-70.

I see. I was referring to the old style stat.

I think that even if Brady won, the media would still portray Manning as being the better QB. It's disappointing, but we all know who the better QB is. :D

This answer is so correct, the thread could've ended.

I feel like both legacies will be impacted the same. Brady will make the discussion a closed door against all QB's in history.

On the other hand Manning will be considered the greatest QB in history for only one more SB making it two. Either way, the fickle fans and the media that love Manning will annoint him as the greatest ever. You know it, I know it, and everyone else knows it. That is why I really want Manning to lose, because his accomplishments gets highlighted a lot more than other QB's accomplishments do in my opinion. People always call Brett Favre this huge playoff INT machine, but Favre went to two SB's just like Manning and won one himself. For some reason Manning hasn't acquired the same reputation for post season failures that Favre had. Realistically I don't see why Manning has been a better QB than Favre any way. Manning has had way better weapons his entire career than anything Favre ever had.

He isn't close to being the GOAT.

Brady OTOH already has a solid case as the GOAT.

WHEN Brady wins his next SB he will HANDS DOWN be the GOAT.

He will has a 77.5 win % in the regular season, 5 SB appearances (ie Conference Championships) with 3 SB wins, he 17 playoff wins. 7 appearances in the Conference Championship, 11 division championships.

Montana OTOH has a 71.3 win % in the reg season, 16 playoff wins, he has 4 SB sins, 4 conference championships, and 5 Conference Championship appearances .

Manning OTOH has a 69.6 winning %, a losing record in the playoffs. certainly a SB win will give him a second win and get him over 50% record in the playoffs, but he isn't in the Brady Montana GOAT conversation.

Whilst I don't disagree with you, Manning's supporters always point out that SB rings and win% are team achievements. There is definitely some truth in that.

Therefore, winning another SB will certainly further solidify Brady's case as GOAT, but you can be certain that Manning's supporters will still point to Manning's superior (RS) stats to make his case for GOAT. The same way that Marino's supporters make his case for GOAT even without him having a ring.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back