PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which legacy would be impacted more if they win a SB: Brady or Manning?

For the nation? It's Manning's. If he wins, it undermines the argument (which is 100% correct to this point) that he sucks when it matters most. It will allow fools (aka, most people) to proclaim him as better than Brady.

If Brady wins, then the fools (most people) will continue to blabber about cheating and spygate. But we'll feel really good, so that's all I really give a crap about.

I actually think the answer to this is Peyton.

Brady will always be disrespected by mainstream media (purely on jealousy I would assume) and Manning would be crowned the GOAT if he wins another. He almost already has been crowned just that. Gushing over his regular season resume' year after year, and forgetting he doesn't win when it actually means something.

If Manning wins again, get ready. He will be anointed.

The media has annointed manning>brady already

I think we can all agree that the public perception is that Manning has always been greater than Brady. Given that he's 9-11 in the postseason and 1-1 on SBs doesn't seem to factor because of the Fantasy Football crowd.

He's already talked about as the greatest and more wins can't hurt and in 8 one and done's doesn't hurt already, what more would 9 really matter? Winning another S would clearly make everyone euphoric for a couple of years where you shouldn't even try to mention this. When they look at history, it might have a slightly different perspective.

Let's look at football players themselves. Which team in the AFC did pretty much every competitive team say they had to go through to claim AFC superiority? the Steelers with their 3 SB appearances? Te Colts with their 2 SB appearances? No every team has always talked about beating the Patriots.

Now my biggest pet peeve and question that I can't seem to answer. Peyton has always been surrounded by great talent and maybe this year he's had very good talent, but at a reasonable cap hit. but, during his years on the Colts, what % of the cap was spent on the offense vs Brady? if the Patriots were more neutral/balanced, but the Colts more heavily favored their spending towards offense, wouldn't you expect the offense to win more games?

Wouldn't that mean Brady has gone farther with lesser weapons (we generally know the answer to that as Patsfans, but not the public). They don't care, they just want to see the stats and highlights on TV.

Manning is the underdog because he played for a small market team. People like to root against Boston

He destroyed records? The yardage record could have been reversed and he had 5 more touchdowns than the prior record.

Manning was taken out of the game after he broke the yardage record; Brock Osweiler played the entire second half. 5 touchdowns is 1/5 of the total touchdowns Brady threw this season - that's not a small number. I think 'destroyed records' is a fair assessment of Manning's season, but that's as much a sign of the times as anything. Look at how big a deal 7 passing TDs in a game was opening night... only for Nick Foles to do it later in the season.

Wouldn't that mean Brady has gone farther with lesser weapons (we generally know the answer to that as Patsfans, but not the public). They don't care, they just want to see the stats and highlights on TV.

This is true - Manning has always been surrounded by HOF-caliber players, and when Brady got similar caliber players he blew up and broke records - but I think concentrating on playoff records and Super Bowls is the wrong thing to do. There is a large degree of randomness in the outcome of any NFL game. Even the regular season isn't long enough, unlike with the other major sports, to iron out most of the randomness, but a 16 game season is the best gauge you're likely to get. Since the playoffs are single events, uncontrollable randomness does end up playing a large role.

Now, Manning does a much worse job, historically, than Tom Brady in controlling what is able to be controlled in these single-event playoffs, so I think it's worth making it part of the discussion. But it shouldn't be the trump card, either.

manning's legacy is 'he has all the stats... BUT'

:p

like elways said you make your legacy in the playoffs. if manning wins SB he will be media's darling. if he fails again then he will be crucified. that's just how it is.

When has Manning ever been "crucified" by the media. He had a pick 6 that sealed their defeat in his last SB and they barely uttered a word about it.

Since the playoffs are single events, uncontrollable randomness does end up playing a large role.

Like forcing four fumbles over two games (two in each) and never recovering a single one.

:steamed:

What about Drew Brees? He has held many NFL records (though he just lost the yardage record), and if he wins a second Super Bowl, his legacy as an all-time great, inner-circle hall-of-famer has to be cemented, no? Not that I think NO wins the SB this year, but if they do?

but I think concentrating on playoff records and Super Bowls is the wrong thing to do.
I wasn't referring to just playoffs when talking about the talent part. though each player has accumulated more than a single seasons worth of post season games (which is a credit to both of them).

One thing that is striking me odd is that people talk about Manning as a possible GOAT. When they talk about Brady, they make comparisons to Montana (who is the present GOAT QB). how come nobody (that I've heard) ever compares Manning to Montana? they just talk about him as an all time great...no other comparisons

I think Brady is playing with house money right now. If he wins with this cast it will be his biggest achievement. If he loses it won't affect his legacy as he's not expected to win it all with all the injuries and turnover in players on O.

Manning is all in right now. He has the best O in the league. He's the MVP. He just shattered records. If the Bronco's don't win the Super Bowl it'll be another blow to his legacy.

Manning was taken out of the game after he broke the yardage record; Brock Osweiler played the entire second half. 5 touchdowns is 1/5 of the total touchdowns Brady threw this season - that's not a small number. I think 'destroyed records' is a fair assessment of Manning's season, but that's as much a sign of the times as anything. Look at how big a deal 7 passing TDs in a game was opening night... only for Nick Foles to do it later in the season.

Marino broke the 21 year old record held by YA Title of 36 TDs by a full 12 TDs for 48TDs in 1984. That equates to a 33% improvement over the previous mark. In comparison to his peers nobody threw for more than 33TDs in the the 20 years before or 10 years after Marino broke that record. Correction, there was one year when another QB threw for 44TDs during that 30 year window, but that was again Marino. That is what I call shattering a record. Not beating a record by 1 which is then beaten by 1 and then beaten again by 5 all in a 10 year window.

People will always fight over who is the GOAT in any sport

Football: Brady vs Manning vs Montana vs Elway vs Marino
Hockey: Gretzky vs Orr vs Mario
Tennis: Rafa vs Federer vs Laver vs Pete
-there will never be a consensus GOAT. but we know it's Brady and that's all that matters

Manning. If Denver wins the SB this year he will have had the greatest season ever for a QB, and it's not even close IMO. He'll be thought of as the best QB ever almost unanimously.

Until the next time someone plays very well.

Manning. If Denver wins the SB this year he will have had the greatest season ever for a QB, and it's not even close IMO. He'll be thought of as the best QB ever almost unanimously.

I agree this will be the perception, but I don't think it will be accurate.

Manning's team lost three games this season, and he contributed to his team losing all three of those games. In 2007, Brady destroyed every team he played, good or bad, until things derailed at the least opportune time.

Like last season, I think Denver - and Manning - are having a good season that has been inflated by playing terrible opponents. Their dominance grows exponentially with the suckiness of the opponent, which means tremendously inflated numbers against the dregs of the league, which they have - once again - had the fortune of facing.

Due to the parity in the NFL and the rash of injuries across the league, it remains likely that Denver - and Peyton - could very well make it through three more victories without their flaws being exposed [the Patriots could, too, for that matter]. What's frustrating is that the perception that Manning had the greatest season ever will be cemented, when I think his mind-bogglingly elite stats/play this year is as much smoke & mirrors as it was last season.

There's just no team that I'm confident to pull the curtains back and expose these paper tigers. I think the Pats, should they beat Indy, have the best shot of anybody.

Manning's problem is that he's a choking dog in the playoffs. If he wins the Super Bowl, he'll have not only won two of them, he'll have done it on different teams. He'll be teflon, even more than his younger brother is. Eli doesn't even get to the playoffs most years, but "Is he elite?" is still bounced around.

With Brady, it's never going to matter. He could win 3 more SBs and there would still be a group of idiots insisting someone else is better. It's the nature of hype, and Manning/Montana is where the hype has been for more than 20 years.

Manning certainly did not "destroy" any record this year. What people are not also taking into account with Mannings reocrds is that he attempted 659 passes this season, which ranks 6th all time. Obviously Mannning is a great QB, had alot of talent surrounding him and seemed to be gunning for these records. So attempting 659 helps a bit. If you look at his TD % for this season it falls behing his 04 season, Bradys 07 season and Rogers 11 season. And his passing YPA is in the mid teens when measured up against other QBs recent season. Now I am not saying Manning did not have a great season, he did, one of the best ever. But you have to put things in perspective.

I agree this will be the perception, but I don't think it will be accurate.

Manning's team lost three games this season, and he contributed to his team losing all three of those games. In 2007, Brady destroyed every team he played, good or bad, until things derailed at the least opportune time.

Like last season, I think Denver - and Manning - are having a good season that has been inflated by playing terrible opponents. Their dominance grows exponentially with the suckiness of the opponent, which means tremendously inflated numbers against the dregs of the league, which they have - once again - had the fortune of facing.

Due to the parity in the NFL and the rash of injuries across the league, it remains likely that Denver - and Peyton - could very well make it through three more victories without their flaws being exposed [the Patriots could, too, for that matter]. What's frustrating is that the perception that Manning had the greatest season ever will be cemented, when I think his mind-bogglingly elite stats/play this year is as much smoke & mirrors as it was last season.

There's just no team that I'm confident to pull the curtains back and expose these paper tigers. I think the Pats, should they beat Indy, have the best shot of anybody.

You throw 55 TDs and win the Super Bowl, that's one helluva season no matter who you played. Best ever, I think.

He didn't even have the highest QBrating THIS season.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back