PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When, if ever will Manziel start in Cleveland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brit patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I, like most on here am riding the Hoyer wave. He is carrying on where he ended last year (talent wise, not on a stretcher) and there seems no way he can be dropped.

However, Cleveland wasted, I mean used a first rounder on Manziel. When do you think they will start him? Or if they don't think he is a capable starter, do you think they will move on to another QB next year and chalk up the first rounder as 'one of those things'?

It was a dumb pick at the time and with the way Hoyer has come back from his injury it looks even dumber. Imagine if they used that pick on someone like Kelvin Benjamin instead.

Is Hoyer going to be an elite QB? No. Is he going to be good enough to win you games and be in and around the playoffs? Yes.

The Manziel pick was just the Browns being the Browns. The only ways I can see him starting is if he or Hoyer get traded or Hoyer gets injured.

Maybe if he grows up a little and shows some of the maturity required. Right now he is acting like a puberty-stricken teenager and no one is going to look to that for leadership. Still, if Hoyer trips up badly enough I'm sure Manziel will have to step in for him. But I'm sure the coaches would prefer to have him sit this year and he get his attitude in check.

An unnecessary pick maybe, but I can understand that the Browns didn't want to put all their eggs into one basket with Hoyer.

Also Manziel will not lose much trade value if Hoyer ends up being a long term starter. They can still get rid of him and get a pretty nice pick back. If Hoyer can't sustain this level they have Manziel waiting to take over.

I don't really see anything dumb at all.

With Josh's return, Hoyer has a much better chance of holding the job. Only when the winning stops, will Manziel get his chance. It may be this year, but if not, then within the next two years.

Hopefully never

Why is this even a thread?

Because it is sometimes interesting to talk about things outside your own bubble.There is always the option, if you dislike a thread not to post on it, and if there is zero interest in it, it will die off.

Ryan Mallet may have something to say about this...

The hype and college tape around Manziel is considerably higher than around Mallet. Also, I obviously meant a trade during the next offseason and not in year 4 of his contract. This really is not a good comparison.

Manziel will be starting this time next year for the Browns. Because they're the Browns.

Cleveland already picked twice in the 1st round before they picked Manziel, so they did not bet the farm on him.

It's wise to not play him immediately and see if he learns their system and matures.

Hoyer has done an excellent job. He led them to a major week one comeback, only to have it fall short at the end vs PIT.

He then led them to an impressive victory over the Saints, another comeback for the ages (largest deficit on the road) at Tennessee down 28-3, and would've pulled out a victory over BAL as well had it not been for a couple of missed FGs.

Had Johnny Manziel done anything close to this, we'd be hearing about it all day--everyday.

The main question is how much he'll demand in free agency at the end of the year, and whether or not CLE would be willing to pay that with Manziel on the bench.

Last edited:
Cleveland already picked twice in the 1st round before they picked Manziel, so they did not bet the farm on him.

It's wise to not play him immediately and see if he learns their system and matures.

Good point, but it's even wiser to play the QB who has proven to be a better NFL starter.

Remember that Hoyer had a 3-0 record with them last year prior to getting injured, and clearly won the job in the summer as well.

Good point, but it's even wiser to play the QB who has proven to be a better NFL starter.

Remember that Hoyer had a 3-0 record with them last year prior to getting injured, and clearly won the job in the summer as well.
Hoyer is a good QB. He may not be the classic "look at how easy I make this all seem" Tom Brady style, but he's got good vision, great pocket awareness and appears to have a calm head on his shoulders. Perhaps the biggest thing in Hoyer's favor is his rapport with Josh Gordon.

If Gordon rekindles the form we all know he is capable of, the Browns are reasonably well placed moving forward. I find myself rooting for Hoyer more than I should be.

Hoyer's done an amazing job with his supporting cast. There is still only a 7 game sample for his Browns QB career, but he seems like he is an above average NFL QB based on stats and a 5-2 W/L record. The Browns fans seem to love him on the forums too.

It would be such an awesome sports story if the undrafted journeyman from Cleveland fended off Johnny Football mania and gave the Browns their best QB play in more than a decade.

I hope Hoyer finishes very strong and compels the team to resign him. I also hope "Johnny Numbnuts" fades into obscurity.

johnny-manziel-laughingjpeg-e3875d0aec020bd1.jpeg

Hopefully the Browns admit their mistake and get a 4th. This would be the perfect match

manziel133445-525x415.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes