Welcome to PatsFans.com

When does Matt Cassel get traded?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by cstjohn17, Feb 25, 2009.

?

1. Before March 15 (early free agency)

47.2%
  2. After March 15 but before the draft (free agency)

23.6%
  3. At the draft

14.6%
  4. After the draft

4.5%
  5. Not traded

10.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

I think this accounts for all possible options
  2. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

If NE is CERTAIN that Brady is back in time for week 1, then the Pats will be VERY busy shopping Matt around BEFORE March 15th - They don't want to be handcuffed with 29M on 2 QBs and wait as long as till the draft unless Brady is expected to be about 50-50 of returning in time or shortly after week 1,then they might have to think a little more on what they want to do.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  3. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

This friday.
  4. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I would say about 2 weeks is a good time frame. I am sure there have been some discussions already but the frenzy starts Fri AM. Some teams will think they can get someone on the market for better value and as teams get a chance to talk to the QBs on the market it will better solidify our market....Than after a few days of FAency I would say anywhere from a week - 2 weeks to actually strum up the best value so I voted before March 15 but in reality I would say right around there.

Although I don't think it is to crazy to think this could pretty much all be done already.

I dont see it going much longer than a few weeks as we want our cap space back and the team likely would want to shape the team around him if they get him so the earlier the better for both parties.
  5. cstjohn17

Ratings:
    +34 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

to KC at 12:01? wink wink nudge nudge
  6. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The way I see it is he will either get traded on Friday or on draft day. The Pats have had 2 months to find a suitor which is plenty of time, and there is no QB like Cassel in the FA market that a team might prefer otherwise. On draft day, a team might want to see if a player falls to them. If that's the case then they may trade a 1st round pick next year compared to this year.
  7. TealSox

TealSox Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Give it time.

Other situations need to be resolved before Matt packs his bags. First of all, other teams will need to lock up their QBs.

1 Arizona needs to get the Warner deal done.
    2 The Vikings will need to process the trade for Sage Rosenfals.
    3 The Titans will deal with signing Collins.
    4 Jeff Garcia is going to be interviewing around the league.
    5 Donovan McNabb still has issues in Philly to work out.
    6 Derek Anderson needs to find a new home and a contract negotiated.
    7 Stafford and Sanchez have Pro Days to show off their tools.

And then I think Cassel get traded. Hopefully that is when a couple teams get desperate and call the Pats, but I hope I'm wrong and this whole thing is over many weeks before the draft.
  8. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

Put in my vote for before March 15th. It makes sense for both the team that wants him and the Pats to get the deal down early. For the first party, they get to install their offense around Cassel ASAP and for the Pats, they free up space to pursue free agents.
  9. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +823 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Well, I just talked to Belichick's friend's uncle's wife's brother's daughter's neighbor's nanny's cousin twice removed, and he said.....
  10. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Sure, sure... there are parts of Bill's own brain that haven't been notified what's going down yet.
  11. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Lonestar: So what does that make us?

Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing, which is what you are about to become.
  12. Dagg

Dagg Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I dont care when I just dont want to get stuck with him and his contract. That fear is starting to set in...
  13. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +823 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Well played!
  14. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Care to explain why you feel all this needs to get done prior to Matt being traded?

1. Arizona has Leinert, they are a non player

2. Who is to say the Vikings haven't already pitched their best offer to NE and were rebuffed or refused to beat the best current offer available to the Pats? And they A) did the same with Cleveland and resorted to Rosenfels or B) they like Rosenfels better than Anderson.

3. The Titans have a bunch of money tied up in VY which probably limits their willingness to invest big money long term in another QB. And Tennessee clearly wants Collins back, but they also have a good shot at resigning Simms - who could be their starter next year (2010). I doubt they have any interest in Cassel.

4. Garcia has 0 impact on Cassel. Garcia will sign with a team looking for a stop gap not a long term solution. Cassel is a long term solution, therefore a team would explore the possibility of Cassel prior to signing Garcia - not the other way around.

5. The only way Mcnabb impacts Cassel is if the Eagles have worked out a deal to trade McNabb and then have a deal consumated with NE for Cassel and all this is based on trust and it has to be executed within minutes of FA opening. This seems highly unlikely. And if a team is hoping to get McNabb and go after Cassel as a fallback, then they are foolish. So, Cassel's situation doesn't have anything to do with McNabb, IMO.

6. Anderson would be a 2nd, 3rd etc.. option for any team interested in Cassel. A team trades for him if they A) don't like the price tag (including draft picks) for Cassel or B) don't want to get in a bidding war for him and remove themselves (which is basically the same as A).

7. I think it is fairly obvious that not too many people consider either of them a top ten pick. A team would have to love them or not be willing to give up additional picks for Cassel or believe that they will fall to you near the 20's. I think this situation may remove a couple of teams from the mix, but ultimately has a minor impact on Cassel.

I would be shocked if a deal isn't already done. IMO, this is why the Vikings have settled on Rosenfels. Obviously this is just speculation, but it would be mind numbing to think that they didn't pitch their best offer to the Pats for Cassel. To which the Pats replied by saying "we have an offer in place, here it is, can you beat it?". And obviously the contract negotiation with Cassel's agent surely plays a big part in it as well.
  15. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +204 / 4 / -5

One possibility:
    MIN: Here's our best offer.
    David Dunn: Thanks, but we've already got a better offer.
    MIN: *crickets*

Another possibility:
    MIN: Do you have permission to talk to us?
    David Dunn: No.
    MIN: *crickets*
  16. cstjohn17

Ratings:
    +34 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Don't forget....

BB: "You took Mills"
    Major Dad: "You took David Herron"
    BB: "You can have him back... click"
  17. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

HaHa...I forgot about that. But I would like to think BB would have an offer from another team before he had fun jerking other people around. :D
  18. D-Money

D-Money Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Lets hope he is traded and soon.I just wanna get a feel about what this team wants to do.I wanna get young pieces on defense.
  19. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

#61 Jersey

I still say that Matt's going to be a New England Patriot for another year. :cool:

In the long run, there's no down side to keeping him around.

Respects,
  20. A.C Vegas

A.C Vegas Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

there is a huge downside the 14+ million dollars on the cap that prevents other FA's from coming here
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.