Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When does Matt Cassel get traded?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
there is a huge downside the 14+ million dollars on the cap that prevents other FA's from coming here

It also prevents the Patriots from extending players.

I hate to say it but I believe we won't be able to trade him.
IMO most people think he is a 1-yr wonder. He played on a 18-1 team from last year and had Moss to throw to.
I hope I am wrong or we have a lot of $$ tied up we could have used on other players.

IMO most people think he is a 1-yr wonder. He played on a 18-1 team from last year and had Moss to throw to.
I hope I am wrong or we have a lot of $$ tied up we could have used on other players.

Teams would rather wait another year and get him for nothing.

they could still franchise him next year which is not likely but they could it's be stupid for a team that needs a QB to wait and hope

Who would take him ? The way i see it; 2 teams are the most logical.

Chiefs can use him and seems to be the best fit.
Tampa Bay – Could use him for sure.

Jets . No way
Tennessee still has Young..
Detroit – Didn’t they say Daunte is the QB.
Bears- Their Front Office believes they can win with defense only
Washington – Don’t have much to trade and may give Campbell another year or two.
Vik's- just picked up a QB.
Carolina – Has Delhomme who had one good year. Stupid because he ‘s a FA next year and won’t be back I’m sure
Arizona - Wasn’t Warner going to resign and they also have that wonderboy.. Leinart
49ers- I thought they had a young QB they just drafted a few years ago.

Well clearly "most" people didn't watch his progression. But my guess is that any NFL GM looking for a QB did. ;)

Who would take him ? The way i see it; 2 teams are the most logical.

Chiefs can use him and seems to be the best fit.
Tampa Bay – Could use him for sure.

Jets . No way
Tennessee still has Young..
Detroit – Didn’t they say Daunte is the QB.
Bears- Their Front Office believes they can win with defense only
Washington – Don’t have much to trade and may give Campbell another year or two.
Vik's- just picked up a QB.
Carolina – Has Delhomme who had one good year. Stupid because he ‘s a FA next year and won’t be back I’m sure
Arizona - Wasn’t Warner going to resign and they also have that wonderboy.. Leinart
49ers- I thought they had a young QB they just drafted a few years ago.

The Lions have the most fire power to get a deal done. Will they? Who knows after all they are the Lions. Either way Dante is not the answer.

The Bears like Orton but they seem to be more willing to go the FA rout, wouldn't be shocked if Leftwich ended up there.

There are reports the Vikings will trade for Rosenfels but that can't be finalized until 12:01am Friday.

Carolina is a sleeper possibility.

SF makes a ton of sense from their 1st round slot to the fact that they need a QB. By the way Alex Smith is a bust.

I really, really hope that this doesn't happen. If it does, then we're screwed.

Seriously, who would trade a 1st-rounder Plus $14.5M for MC? BB might have to settle for a lot less than a #1, I fear. MC would've had a lot more trade value if he didn't come with that albatross of a tender.

Care to explain why you feel all this needs to get done prior to Matt being traded?

1. Arizona has Leinert, they are a non player

Clearly they have Leinert and they are a non-player, but Warner is a free agent and a team like the Jets might be intrigued by him, as well as others that are doing their due dilligence. Once Warner is signed with the Cards, the market will tighten up.

2. Who is to say the Vikings haven't already pitched their best offer to NE and were rebuffed or refused to beat the best current offer available to the Pats? And they A) did the same with Cleveland and resorted to Rosenfels or B) they like Rosenfels better than Anderson.

Hmmmm.... can't really respond to assumptions without using my own assumptions. Just want of those cases where we just aren't going to know till a later time.

3. The Titans have a bunch of money tied up in VY which probably limits their willingness to invest big money long term in another QB. And Tennessee clearly wants Collins back, but they also have a good shot at resigning Simms - who could be their starter next year (2010). I doubt they have any interest in Cassel.

This is the same situation as Warner in AZ. Collins is sure to sign in TEN and when he does, the market losses another acquireable QB. Interesting to see how they deal with Young when this all goes down.

4. Garcia has 0 impact on Cassel. Garcia will sign with a team looking for a stop gap not a long term solution. Cassel is a long term solution, therefore a team would explore the possibility of Cassel prior to signing Garcia - not the other way around.

I agree that teams would probably look at acquiring Cassel before signing an old vet that is coming off a poor season and offers no long term solution. Then again, it will be interesting to see how the market responds to Garcia and if the price of Cassel forces teams to re-evaluate what Garcia could do for their team based upon where that team is at, competitively.

5. The only way Mcnabb impacts Cassel is if the Eagles have worked out a deal to trade McNabb and then have a deal consumated with NE for Cassel and all this is based on trust and it has to be executed within minutes of FA opening. This seems highly unlikely. And if a team is hoping to get McNabb and go after Cassel as a fallback, then they are foolish. So, Cassel's situation doesn't have anything to do with McNabb, IMO.

I'm sure the media is creating more in the McNabb v. Eagles drama stemming from the benching. He'll stay in Philly as far as I see and when that is determined, than any teams thinking he is an acquireable option will look elsewhere.

6. Anderson would be a 2nd, 3rd etc.. option for any team interested in Cassel. A team trades for him if they A) don't like the price tag (including draft picks) for Cassel or B) don't want to get in a bidding war for him and remove themselves (which is basically the same as A).

Cost of the product my determine level of interest, agreed. Fact of the matter is, most likely any team that acquires him is going to be a team that could had used the services of Matt Cassel.

7. I think it is fairly obvious that not too many people consider either of them a top ten pick. A team would have to love them or not be willing to give up additional picks for Cassel or believe that they will fall to you near the 20's. I think this situation may remove a couple of teams from the mix, but ultimately has a minor impact on Cassel.

I'll hold off till their Pro Days to drop them too far. Based on last season, I don't think Stafford belongs in the first round, but he has hung around in the conversations and remains relevant. Neither were major participants at the Combine and the hype machines found other talent to talk about. If he can prove to be worth the 20th pick, DET may take him and not think twice about Matt Cassel.

I would be shocked if a deal isn't already done. IMO, this is why the Vikings have settled on Rosenfels. Obviously this is just speculation, but it would be mind numbing to think that they didn't pitch their best offer to the Pats for Cassel. To which the Pats replied by saying "we have an offer in place, here it is, can you beat it?". And obviously the contract negotiation with Cassel's agent surely plays a big part in it as well.

Why the Vikes are going the Sage direction, I can't figure out. That is a good guess and might be spot on. I still wonder why the Vikes would move so quickly on the Sage deal when veteran QBs are out there to negotiate with and other QB deals have yet to be resolved.

I just get the feeling that they have a plan that they put in motion and they aren't goint to wait around for things to happen.

The way I see it is we spent a 7th to get him, he is limiting our ability to address real needs in FA with such a large cap number. Lets dump him for a 2nd or maybe 2 seconds. We are better of than what we started and we can start to address areas of need namely the entire defense outside the Dline.

The way I see it is we spent a 7th to get him, he is limiting our ability to address real needs in FA with such a large cap number. Lets dump him for a 2nd or maybe 2 seconds. We are better of than what we started and we can start to address areas of need namely the entire defense outside the Dline.

What we spent on him originally is irrelevant.

The Patriots have made a strong reputation on being savvy offseason operators - alot of that is probably due to having a set of brass ones - being the team that doesn't blink first.

Alot of Patriots fans seem to be getting more and more stressed by the 'cap number' which will, again, prove to be irrelevant.

Also, it is nonsense to suggest that the 'entire D outisde the D-line' requires addressing.

A new addition or two to the LBer corps (Crable can be one of these) and one more CB would see us in fine shape for next year.

Hobbs/Wheatley/Wilhite/ +1 from draft.... look to be a solid group.

Maybe another lower round addition to supplement the safety corps.

If AD was to move inside we require a pass rusher to play opposite Crable/Vrable.

Last edited:
What we spent on him originally is irrelevant.

The Patriots have made a strong reputation on being savvy offseason operators - alot of that is probably due to having a set of brass ones - being the team that doesn't blink first.

Alot of Patriots fans seem to be getting more and more stressed by the 'cap number' which will, again, prove to be irrelevant.

Also, it is nonsense to suggest that the 'entire D outisde the D-line' requires addressing.

A new addition or two to the LBer corps (Crable can be one of these) and one more CB would see us in fine shape for next year.

Hobbs/Wheatley/Wilhite/ +1 from draft.... look to be a solid group.

Maybe another lower round addition to supplement the safety corps.

If AD was to move inside we require a pass rusher to play opposite Crable/Vrable.
The rub is that you have to look beyond this year. The Patriots have

only 17 players signed beyond this year. It would be nice to extend

a few of these players but Cassel's cap hit keeps this from occurring

at the present time.

The way I see it we need ILB, OLB, Saftey and Corner thats the entire defense minus the Dline. I stand by this statement.

Friday: I think a deal is already done with the chiefs. Either getting their 2nd and another pick next year (possibly their first or second), or switching spots in the 1st round (assuming BB loves Smith, Monroe, and Curry enough to be in that spot...or trade back to pick 10 or so). I'd be very happy with either or these, as well as a trade w/ Carolina for Peppers (but I think this has a much lower probability of happening).

Friday: I think a deal is already done with the chiefs. Either getting their 2nd and another pick next year (possibly their first or second), or switching spots in the 1st round (assuming BB loves Smith, Monroe, and Curry enough to be in that spot...or trade back to pick 10 or so). I'd be very happy with either or these, as well as a trade w/ Carolina for Peppers (but I think this has a much lower probability of happening).

Agreed. The question is whether someone like TB has decided (last minute-ish) to make a crushing run at Matty. They're in a great position to frontload with solid FA's. They could even steal Haynesworth out of the clutches of Washington. I actually have a feeling that's why Al's agent came out and said there was no deal, but we shall see.

I said at the draft and I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be disappointed when 15th march comes and goes. I think BB is going to hold on to him until he's sure of TB and if I were a FO GM I would wait until the draft as that gives me more options and better leverage with the Pats

Think Pioli doesnt knows the system? Think he doesnt knows how we work and what we value MC at? Think he'll do us any favours? Answer to all the above is NO

So, basically by your logic...... We should trade Brady for a fifth and pump our fists in triumph. :confused:

So, basically by your logic...... We should trade Brady for a fifth and pump our fists in triumph. :confused:

That's not as mind-bending as needing 8 new starters on defense....

Why the Vikes are going the Sage direction, I can't figure out. That is a good guess and might be spot on. I still wonder why the Vikes would move so quickly on the Sage deal when veteran QBs are out there to negotiate with and other QB deals have yet to be resolved.

I just get the feeling that they have a plan that they put in motion and they aren't goint to wait around for things to happen.

Thanks for the response. Some well thought out answers. Only time will tell....the fun of the offseason. :D

Give your back a pat, Dagg.

I think that a lot of us were hoping for a 1st-rounder or multiple picks, and now might be somewhat disappointed at the actual return. Once I heard that MC was traded to KC, I had hoped that a swap of firsts, or at least a 2nd-plus, was coming. Not only is that not happening, but now we're not even getting anything (exc. cap relief) for Vrabel.

Methinks that BB did Pioli - and Cassel - a big favor by sending him to KC (instead of Detroit) and settling for an unmaximized compensation, when he might've been able to get Detroit's 2nd 1st-rounder instead. Color me underwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots