PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What will it take to get Welker into HOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's terrible to be a game changing receiver that makes opponents scheme against him whilst consistently producing performances of a high quality more weeks than not.

By the end of his career, I'll be interested to compare Wes Welker's numbers against the HoF receivers.
such is the world I'm afraid.

I think for Wes to get in it's going to take a lot. One thing he has going for him is he's the first receiver to have over a 110 catches in three seasons and he did them three in a row. The argument nationally will be that sure but his YPC isn't that of the other guys doing it. Personally I think that's crap as most of the outside guy would never go over the middle like he does.

For perspective, Wes has 522 receptions for 5596 yards. He has as noted three 110 plus catch seasons. He has three 1000 yard receiving years. He needs 20 receptions this year to get to 4 years and 213 yards for a 4th year in that category.

Not counting active players the lowest reception total not in the hall is Chris Carter at 1101. He'll get in eventually. Next is Tim Brown at 1094, again he'll get in. Issac Bruce 1024 he'll get in.

Andre Reed 951
Torry Holt 940
Keenan McCardell 883

I don't see Holt or McCardell getting in. Reed probably will but he's the ultimate borderline case. I think 1000 receptions is the bare minimum Wes needs.

Receiving yards

Issac Bruce 15,208 will get in.
Tim Brown 14,934 will get in.
Marvin Harrison 14,580 will probably get in but his off the field issues and lack of showing up in the playoffs might make it take a long time.
Chris Carter 13,899 will get in.

Henry Ellard 13,777 is not in the hall of fame and he played in an era when these yards were harder to come by.

So I think for Wes to get in the following would need to happen.

1000+ catches career

13,777+ Yards career

Wes should tie the record for most 100 catch seasons with Marvin Harrison this year. Breaking it is needed. Chris Carter has 120+ receptions twice if Wes could tie or break that it wouldn't hurt.

Seasons with a 1000 yards is Jerry Rice at 14, forget-about-it! However if he could get to 7 it would make a good case.

I think additionally the Patriots would need to go on another run and win a couple of Super Bowls and Wes would need to have a couple of monster games and get a SB MVP.

He's a total long shot and this debate is as subjective as the HOF committee is but that's my opinion on what needs to happen.

Last edited:
I know player becomes eligible 5 years after retiring, but when is a coach eligible?

Good post Everlong.

does the lack of TD receptions also mitigate against him. I know he got the pro bowl nod last year with only three.
Do you know how those guys fair on the TD list.
think Wes has less then 30 from records.

Good post Everlong.

does the lack of TD receptions also mitigate against him. I know he got the pro bowl nod last year with only three.
Do you know how those guys fair on the TD list.
think Wes has less then 30 from records.

That's another good point. 244 players have 32 or more receiving TDs so he would need to pick it up in that regard as well. At 23 receiving TDs even if he had 7 seasons starting next year at 10 TDs/year he wouldn't hit 100. Carter, Brown and Harrison are all over 100, Bruce has 91, and Andre Reed 87. If Wes gets two more this year it will put him at an average of 6/season as a Patriot. So 25 plus at 6/season another 7 seasons would give him 67 which would be well below the others.

I'm obviously using 7 seasons as an extreme. Wes will be 30 in May. He's not going to play another 7 years to get all the numbers he needs. He's an all time Patriot great but he's not making the HOF any place but at Gillette.

Last edited:
...is he still wearing the brace, does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye