PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What veteran player would you give up the #7 pick for if it were possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to say Ed Reed and Demarcus Ware would be the best choices.

If I had to chose one I would chose Ware. but maybe we can pull off a three team deal...We get those two, Dallas gets the number 7, and Balt gets Dallas two number ones. Guess Dallas is getting a little ripped off but this is as likely as the OP.

BB loves Ed Reed and that's enough for me to think that he would make an imediate impact (as far as his locker room leadership and work ethic), not to mention he's the kind of player that makes teams rework offenses based on his defensive impact on a game.

No way on Urlacher. At least not at this stage with the neck issues, etc. In my opinion Willis is going to be the most dominant LB over the next ten years. The kid is an absolute stud. I got to watch a number of games for the 49ers. He would shore up our LB position. I would also love a Joe Thomas, a young improving OT and stud.

Ed Reed or maybe Patrick Willis...Only two guys worth consideration.

For all the Ed Reed love, I don't really understand how he's going to shore up a weakness on this team. For the #7 pick, I think we'd want a game-changer, a guy who would fix our greatest weakness. I don't see safety play as a weakness the way I do the lack of a pass rush (Ware), a young stud at ILB (Willis), or a dominant corner (Cromartie).

This might be crazy, but what about Lofa Tatupu?

I don't think you're crazy - ideally if one is going to give up a #7 pick you want a young guy who will be a consistent pro-bowler for many many years to come.

While I know Belichick loves Ed Reed, at age 30 as of next season, I think I'd be looking for guys who could help your team for the next 6-8 years (i.e. a rookie contract plus an extension a la Richard Seymour) - whereas who knows what skills Reed will have at age 35.

Demarcus Ware is certainly young enough to fit in that category as well. But as far as all these guys with 10 years or more of wear and tear in the NFL?

If I'm giving up a #7 pick I'm not going to trade that for a car with a few hundred thousand miles on the odometer, no matter how nice the car is...

I'm surprised no one has said Jason Taylor yet as there were a ton of people around here a few weeks ago eager to give up #7 to sign a 34 year old guy who might well retire soon anyway. Again, that's NOT what you want to do with a #7 pick IMO... trade it for a proven player yes, but not one who is on the downside of his career.

Peyton Manning.

For all the Ed Reed love, I don't really understand how he's going to shore up a weakness on this team. For the #7 pick, I think we'd want a game-changer, a guy who would fix our greatest weakness. I don't see safety play as a weakness the way I do the lack of a pass rush (Ware), a young stud at ILB (Willis), or a dominant corner (Cromartie).

Would I trade the #7 pick for DeMarcus Ware? Ye, in a heartbeat. I just feel there are alot other players I'd rather have them him. Yes, he is good, but I don't feel he is a complete game changer. He has all the skills in the world, but the guy disappears at time. I rather have Antonio Cromartie( Not 100% sold yet), but still I'd defintely take Ed Reed over Ware. I'd also take LaRon Landry him as well. There are ways that you can take Ware out of a game, I don't think you can ever take and Ed Reed out of a game. And Landry is just a beast this guy can change a game. He's a much better verison of a Rodney Harrison. Ware would defintely be on my list, but I think he'd be behind a couple of guys.

willis....
young, devoted, hard working, good person, and exceptional playmaker

the perfect lb....i would give up the 7 for him VERY fast....if only he was coming out one year later

Peyton Manning.

Goodness.

Well, then you would have a QB controversy.

So who starts? Brady or Manning. I'm almost afraid to hear the answer.

Damarcus Ware, Patrick Willis, Ed Reed

Goodness.

Well, then you would have a QB controversy.

So who starts? Brady or Manning. I'm almost afraid to hear the answer.

We could trade Brady for Bob Sanders and Dwight Freeney.

Stupid threads will get stupid answers.

Last edited:
We could trade Brady for Bob Sanders and Dwight Freeney.

Stupid threads will get stupid answers.

Got ya. Although, I think this thread is MUCH better than some out currently out there - if not one of the best. Well, perhaps the Randy Moss Jimi Hendrix one is the best......:rolleyes:

Got ya. Although, I think this thread is MUCH better than some out currently out there - if not one of the best. Well, perhaps the Randy Moss Jimi Hendrix one is the best......:rolleyes:

Telling you, we need some real Patriots news are we're going to start seeing threads like "Who would win in an arm wrestling contest, Belichick or Dungy?" and "How do you pronounce Logan Mankins?" Sad thing is the last one already happened.

Telling you, we need some real Patriots news are we're going to start seeing threads like "Who would win in an arm wrestling contest, Belichick or Dungy?" and "How do you pronounce Logan Mankins?" Sad thing is the last one already happened.

I agree. I'm looking forward to the "Who would win a bar room fight? Manning or Brady?"

BTW - My pick is Brady.

Half of the players being mentioned are CLEARLY not on the trading block. Do you really think the Pats would trade away guys like Wilfork or Seymour or Vrabel this year even if it was for a high draft pick?

For the same reasons Ware, Merriman, Peterson, Peppers, Willis, and Urlacher aren't going anywhere. Teams only trade away a perennial Pro Bowler if the guy is disgruntled to the point where hes threatening a hold out or if the guy is getting older with not many years left on his contract and the team knows hes not gonna resign. Even then it usually only happens if the team also has no shot at the playoffs.

Suggs is a possibility because Baltimore knows he is gone in a year and there is also a very small possibility we could finagle something for Ed Reed just because his contract is up soon and Baltimore is about to hit a huge rebuilding stage.

Other than that I can't think of any reasonable possibilities that would be worth giving up the #7 pick.

Half of the players being mentioned are CLEARLY not on the trading block.

Naturally. It's just an idle off-season speculation -- what player makes you drool and would be the most valuable addition to the team? Personally, I'll go with Ware as my first choice followed by Willis.

Interesting that nobody is mentioning left tackles, despite the heavy sentiment for Ryan Clady on the draft board. Realistically, there are plenty of active players "worth" more to this team than the crapshoot that is any draft pick.

Coming out of left field....

Steve Hutchinson.

That would be my offensive target when moving the #7 pick. Everybody seems to love Jake Long (fellow MICH guy), but I just don't see it. Hutch would be like getting Orlando Pace in his prime. Maroney et al could run every which way with the big man cleaning the roads!

Defensively, I've gotta go Champ Bailey. To me, this guy is the best cover corner in the league. Ty Law in his prime could play at Bailey's level and no one making more than Bailey deserves it. Clement is good and Samuel had some good years here in NE, but Bailey is the best out there right now.

But who knows, there are about three corners in this draft that could be Pro Bowlers. Maybe they could be better than Bailey, but I doubt it.

Julius Peppers or Patrick Willis. I'd give up this year's #1 AND next year's for Peppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes