PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What veteran player would you give up the #7 pick for if it were possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patrick Willis. Solves the age of the MLB, is a stud, is on a rookie contract.

So let me get this straight--
Ware
Reed
Sanders
Cromartie
Peppers
Suggs
Willis
Manning
I would hesitate to say that each of these may well be worth the #1 pick in the draft never mind #7. Realistically, there SHOULD be at least 15-20 players whose value should be equal to #7. To me that just means that most here(me included)can be more attached to names instead of value. But then again maybe we are all incorporating head cases, contract status, injury status, and most of all--over hyping our own players at their given positions.
Strictly by the numbers, if the average career/contract is say 5 years x 6 picks ahead of us=30 players-busts/head cases=20 or there abouts. I think those numbers are fair,arguable but fair. Just so everyone realizes.....maybe we have a 1/3 chance to pick a bust/head case. And also that only 2 of the guys on the list were actually taken 1-6.....

Patrick Willis - Tackling Machine.

I know we have a lot of recievers but w/e, Steve Smith

Sweet Jesus. Moss, Welker in the slot, Watson, and Steve Smith. With Maroney or Kevin Faulk in the backfield. Who would you defend?

Eugene Chung

LOL. Best so far.

I swear I am not saying it to be a smart ***; but Sean Taylor, were he still with us, would be my choice. That guy was just cold blooded on the field...imagine rotating him, Rodney, and Meriweather. People would refuse to catch the ball out of fear of getting knocked into next week.

Asante (kidding)

Willis
Cromartie
Bailey
Ware
J. Thomas
Urlacher
Ngata

Your an idiot if you don't agree that it should be Ware or Willis. Cromartie comes in a close third. However, I would go with Ware because of his ability to rush the passer, stop the run and cover (although he isn't asked to do this very much)

I've seen some responses such as Ed Reed or Brian Urlacher. Ok, lets trade a 7th pick in the draft for players close to 30 :rolleyes:. Ware is 25 and is close to being the best defender in the game if not the best already. His sack totals have gone up every year. He will lead the league in sacks next year.

Last edited:
Why isn't this thread named "best defensive player in the NFL?"

I see 3 different ways to go here.

The first is taking the best veteran defensive player available, someone who has proven over time to be an impact player every year. The upside is elite play is a certainty, but the downside is that the player may only be elite for 2-3 more seasons.

Top Choice: Champ Bailey
Others to consider: Ed Reed, Brian Urlacher

2nd option is to take the on the rise defender who's played 3 or fewer years in the league. The upside is that you get a guy still on his rookie contract who has many years of his best football still to be played. The downside is the NFL has had a ton of players have 2 great years, only to fall off dramatically later in their career.

Top Choice: Patrick Willis
Others to consider: Mario Williams , Antonio Cromartie, DeMarcus Ware

I actually would rather have Williams, but I believe Willis would fill such a huge need on this team for speed at LB.

3rd option is to take someone who takes the offense to a point where they simply cannot be stopped. The downside is that the defense or special teams could still lose the game.

Top Choice: LaDainian Tomlinson
Others to consider: Antonio Gates, Adrian Peterson, Jason Peters

im surprised no one has said merriman, not that i would want him. id take ed reed, or the corner from the raiders whos name i cant begin to spell:D

Demarcus Ware
BINGO!
I covet him madly.

For those of you saying Peppers, I assume you haven't watched him for the past 1 1/2 years. Tons of ability, no doubt, but never a consistent player and hasn't even had to be double teamed for a long time.

So some of you think this thread sucks but threads like showing dumb pictures correlating to the members of this forum is a great thread and belongs in the main forum?

It shows how weird some of the members view what a good or bad thread is....

What has happened to good ol fashioned intelligent talk at Patsfans?

I miss guys like patsfanken and Box O Rocks who wrote good stuff,Although I do try and post some decent things at times....

David Tyree

Patrick Willis...He's gonna be good for a long time.

or Champ, who has been good for a long time.

Your an idiot if you don't agree that it should be Ware or Willis. Cromartie comes in a close third. However, I would go with Ware because of his ability to rush the passer, stop the run and cover (although he isn't asked to do this very much)

I've seen some responses such as Ed Reed or Brian Urlacher. Ok, lets trade a 7th pick in the draft for players close to 30 :rolleyes:. Ware is 25 and is close to being the best defender in the game if not the best already. His sack totals have gone up every year. He will lead the league in sacks next year.

I know I'm an Idiot an all, but riddle me this master of all football knowledge: With a 7th Round Pick (or any First Round pick for that matter), what are you guaranteed to get? A Pro Bowler? A franchise player? A guaranteed starter? What?

I don't know that answer to the question, but I DO know what I get with an Ed Reed and I'll take that anytime. You mention age, Ed's a beast and he'll be effective for a long time - as long as a Rookie? No - but I'll bet any money that Ed would produce more than said draft choice.

BTW - Both could go out with season or career injuries, so please don't go there - it's football, not badminton.

definitely Adam Archaletta and Nate Burleson

I think you are the idiot if you pick Willis over any other veteran in the NFL

Yes,Willis did have an awesome rookie campaign but in reality it is unproven whether he will be an all-pro his whole career or maybe it was just a flash in the pan per say - you never know just like I am a bit uncertain of Adrian Petersons career and am not going to put him in the hall of fame yet either.

I will go with a guy like Bob Sanders or Ed Reed who are in thier late 20s but have PROVEN throughout thier career that they are superb athletes in the NFL and will likely have 5 more years of productivity and to me thats VERY worthy of giving away a #7 pick who could certainly turn out to be a bust.

I think you are the idiot if you pick Willis over any other veteran in the NFL

Yes,Willis did have an awesome rookie campaign but in reality it is unproven whether he will be an all-pro his whole career or maybe it was just a flash in the pan per say - you never know just like I am a bit uncertain of Adrian Petersons career and am not going to put him in the hall of fame yet either.

I will go with a guy like Bob Sanders or Ed Reed who are in thier late 20s but have PROVEN throughout thier career that they are superb athletes in the NFL and will likely have 5 more years of productivity and to me thats VERY worthy of giving away a #7 pick who could certainly turn out to be a bust.

Bingo. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to comprehend that a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the Draft bush. Easy. Make the trade and your team is better....instantly. Anyone remember Ryan Leaf? If you do it's for all the wrong reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down