PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What veteran player would you give up the #7 pick for if it were possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would also give the pick up for Billy Joe Tolliver and Billy Joe Hobert (in that order)

i would also give up the pick for $1000 dollars for me. That's because im selfish.

I'd give up my entire draft for Ed Reed. Best non-quarterback in the NFL today.

Wow! That's a bold statement.

I'm a huge Ed Reed fan and I do believe that he will be a Patriot at some time in his career - But the best Non-QB?? I'd say he ranks high, if not the top, in the Defensive landscape, but there were a few guys on the offensive side of the ball that are pretty special.................Randy Moss would be one.

However I love your unbridled enthusiasm for Ed. BB would approve.

I think we will be saying that about LaRon Landry within a few years starting in 2008

IMO This is his big year for the Skins with the spotlight on him since Taylor is not around anymore and I am betting on the Defensiv Player Of The Year for him....

I think He will be better than Ed Reed within a year or two

Wow! That's a bold statement.

I'm a huge Ed Reed fan and I do believe that he will be a Patriot at some time in his career - But the best Non-QB?? I'd say he ranks high, if not the top, in the Defensive landscape, but there were a few guys on the offensive side of the ball that are pretty special.................Randy Moss would be one.

However I love your unbridled enthusiasm for Ed. BB would approve.

Disagree, he'll end his career a Raven.

I know I'm an Idiot an all, but riddle me this master of all football knowledge: With a 7th Round Pick (or any First Round pick for that matter), what are you guaranteed to get? A Pro Bowler? A franchise player? A guaranteed starter? What?

I don't know that answer to the question, but I DO know what I get with an Ed Reed and I'll take that anytime. You mention age, Ed's a beast and he'll be effective for a long time - as long as a Rookie? No - but I'll bet any money that Ed would produce more than said draft choice.

BTW - Both could go out with season or career injuries, so please don't go there - it's football, not badminton.

To answer your first question, you aren't guarenteed anything from rookies. It's a crapshoot. Ed Reed is a phenomenal player, but why would you take him over any younger veteran? He is almost 30 years old. With the pounding they take each and every game, their shelf life is in decline. The right choice is DeMarcus Ware. He's only 25 years old and will be the most feared defensive player in the NFL next season. His sack number continue to go up. You don't have to be a genius to figure that one out.

I think you are the idiot if you pick Willis over any other veteran in the NFL

Yes,Willis did have an awesome rookie campaign but in reality it is unproven whether he will be an all-pro his whole career or maybe it was just a flash in the pan per say - you never know just like I am a bit uncertain of Adrian Petersons career and am not going to put him in the hall of fame yet either.

I will go with a guy like Bob Sanders or Ed Reed who are in thier late 20s but have PROVEN throughout thier career that they are superb athletes in the NFL and will likely have 5 more years of productivity and to me thats VERY worthy of giving away a #7 pick who could certainly turn out to be a bust.

If you two want to take a first round pick and invest it for a player who is almost in their 30's, then be my guest. In my opinion, I don't value safeties and cornerbacks as much as I value pass rushers. A team's secondary will only be as good as it's pass rush. The superbowl is a perfect example. I could have been playing safety for the Giants and would have looked ok given the pass rush they laid on the Patriots. I named Willis as one of the candidates, but I decided that I would give up the #7th overall selection for DeMarcus Ware. Reed and Sanders are good choices, but I don't think their the right choice.

Last edited:
To answer your first question, you aren't guarenteed anything from rookies. It's a crapshoot. Ed Reed is a phenomenal player, but why would you take him over any younger veteran? He is almost 30 years old. With the pounding they take each and every game, their shelf life is in decline. The right choice is DeMarcus Ware. He's only 25 years old and will be the most feared defensive player in the NFL next season. His sack number continue to go up. You don't have to be a genius to figure that one out.

I know I'm stupid.....an Idiot as you put it. Thanks.

Willis was the # 11 pick last year and I think he outperformed almost everybody's expectations. If he was in fact worth the #11 pick last year, I certainly think his production/future potential is enough to bump up his value to a #7 pick this year. In fact I'm pretty certain the Niners would decline an offer of the #7 pick for Willis. So maybe you are right, if you are looking for a player who is going to make a guaranteed immediate impact and age and salary are not a factor then there are better choices than Willis. However at his age and his salary I don't think you should be hating on people for mentioning him.

Yes,Willis did have an awesome rookie campaign but in reality it is unproven whether he will be an all-pro his whole career or maybe it was just a flash in the pan per say - you never know just like I am a bit uncertain of Adrian Petersons career and am not going to put him in the hall of fame yet either.

I will go with a guy like Bob Sanders or Ed Reed who are in thier late 20s but have PROVEN throughout thier career that they are superb athletes in the NFL and will likely have 5 more years of productivity and to me thats VERY worthy of giving away a #7 pick who could certainly turn out to be a bust.

Sanders can't stay healthy and doesn't play at a position of need. He's 26 years old and his body is taking such a beating that he may well not make it to 30 in the NFL. He's also playing a position that New England doesn't need a player for.

Reed also doesn't play at a position of need, is 30 years old and hasn't been quite the same dominating force he used to be for a couple of years now (I'm not claiming that he hasn't been good, just not AS good). It's not that he's a bad choice, it's simply not one that fills a need.

Willis is just 23 years old and is coming off an excellent rookie season, albeit for a lousy team. He plays a position of need for New England, and would fit physically with what New England looks for in an inside linebacker. All choices are gambles, but the notion that people are idiots if they choose him over a Bob Sanders in this hypothetical is just... well.... idiotic.

Last edited:
I'd go with Lofa Tatupu. Not only is he my cousin (by marriage) and is connected to the pats ala Mosi, but he is one hell of a linebacker, and young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST